• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Purifi Eigentakt Is My Dream Amplifier

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt Purifi is any better than loads of Hypex and IcePower amplifiers. These days electronics mesure so well many are better than they need to be.
A fair number of Purifi amplifiers have been tested at ASR and measurement wise they blow IcePower amps away but offer the same general level of performance as the top nCore module implementations. Just do a search.

Last edited:

eriksson

Forum Donor
A fair number of Purifi amplifiers have been tested at ASR and measurement wise they blow IcePower amps away but offer the same general level of performance of the top nCore modules. Just do a search.
I think Ron's point is: we can't hear the difference, and if I got that correctly - he is probably right.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
A fair number of Purifi amplifiers have been tested at ASR and measurement wise they blow IcePower amps away but offer the same general level of performance as the top nCore module implementations. Just do a search.
Sure they measure better, but do they really sound better?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Distortion for all these amps is obviously going to be beyond the limits of audibility. As far as noise, it is probably not audible either—but one way for brave souls to check any differences would be to (without music playing) jack the volume all the way up and put your ear up to the tweeter.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
As far as noise, it is probably not audible either—but one way for brave souls to check any differences would be to (without music playing) jack the volume all the way up and put your ear up to the tweeter.

Actually, all that will show is the source/preamp noise being amplified by the amplifier. Residual noise in a power amp is measured/listened for with a shorted input.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeah, I cant hear any difference between purifi and 1200AS2 - which ends up being cheaper and capable of higher power

kchap

Forum Donor
Not necessarily. Ice power modules except 1200as still have quite a bit of frequency response variance with different load impedances.
Isn't that one of the advantages of Bruno's patents. The LP filter is inside the feedback loop, reducing the effect of changes in load impedance.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Isn't that one of the advantages of Bruno's patents. The LP filter is inside the feedback loop, reducing the effect of changes in load impedance.
The patent is full PFFB control + self oscillation. If you do mixed feedback or fixed frequency pwm you can still do PFFB. Which I think is used in 300 and 700.

Last edited:

kchap

Forum Donor
I'm sure they are quite good amps, but so much for the simplicity of Class D.

NYfan2

Forum Donor

Ata

Forum Donor
I guess prices are in Aud $, and per pair, so then it's not too bad :facepalm:

I see the prices in USD, and I am from Adelaide :cool:.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
H2ca8ebc05ed44008ae1d74ae19e39b85s.jpg

This beauty is only $2800 on AliExpress and measures power levels in PEAN units.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Purifi stereo from VTV with VTV buffer and Sparkos SS3602 op amps -- it's great :D

But my dream amp? No. That would be the McIntosh MC462. It's beyond my practical asperation and, for that matter, any need, but it is my "dream amp" ...

mc462-lifestyle-hero.ashx

It would be great pair with a McIntosh C2700 tube preamp OR a McIntosh C53 solid state pre ...

c2700-hero-usb.ashx

c53-lifestyle-hdmi.ashx

Last edited:

kiwifi

Yes! Mainly due to the very low intermodular distortion IMHO. Living the (Purifi) dream...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You know something is over-engineered when they don't use SI units anymore.

Nothing incorrect with parts per million or parts per billion. :)

They (Halcro) set the set the bar and nobody has come remotely close in almost 20 years. Now Bruce Candy's* engineers have taken it to another level with the new amplifiers.

*He created Minelab. (the world's best metal detectors). Halcro was just a plaything for this physicist...

Top Bottom