• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Sharur

When in "off" mode my a30pro is making a high pitched noise.

Last edited:

Sharur

front off switch is basically unusable...

Last edited:

Sharur

For real? How can an amplifier produce sound (even faintly) with its inner parts and no speaker attached? Coil-whine yes but actual sound like playing a song? Never heard of any case like that? Someone else willing to check their unit for this?
wtf just tested this and it works

Raex

Really? So you can hear music coming out of the amp itself while no headphone is connected? (Not the coil whine in the video)

Cidious said his unit is dead silent (music-wise) so if yours really does play music with its inner parts, there have to be different revisions with different parts being used.....

Leiker535

How the hell would an electrical circuit play music without having a transducer? I get coil whine but actual music makes no sense to me... I joked about it previously because in vinyl you can hear it close to the stylus, but it is a very different concept.

Leiker535

What a joke from SBAF! View attachment 144579They messed up the setup producing completely different test that looks bad in the first glance.
That's +-0.5dB down to -50dB attenuation. This is basically our internal criteria for the channel matching. In fact our criteria is -40dB. His particular unit is already 10dB better.
The A30pro measured here has roughly the same performance +-0.5 at -50dB.
View attachment 144582
If you have a look at A90's and a50s review it's basically the same too.
View attachment 144580View attachment 144581
We did test the L30 sent to Amir and we didn't find it to be so perfect. Also this test has run to run variance. There's basically nothing wrong.
But it's very expected behavior from SBAF.

I get the bias but still, wouldn't a digital control relay meet your own criteria much better? It's like the SINAD argument for me: a lot of gear manufacturers make the case that once you've reached -100dB it makes no sense decreasing it even further, but the industry and brands like topping are still (thankfully) releasing incrementally better measuring stuff year after year.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I get the bias but still, wouldn't a digital control relay meet your own criteria much better? It's like the SINAD argument for me: a lot of gear manufacturers make the case that once you've reached -100dB it makes no sense decreasing it even further, but the industry and brands like topping are still (thankfully) releasing incrementally better measuring stuff year after year.
Yeah. The reason is cost. You can see some in the future I would say.

Sharur

How the hell would an electrical circuit play music without having a transducer? I get coil whine but actual music makes no sense to me... I joked about it previously because in vinyl you can hear it close to the stylus, but it is a very different concept.
I'll record it

Sharur

wtf i tried this on my unit and its silent there's some witchcraft going on with yours
not something that i would ever encounter under normal use so I don't care about that. The coil whine on the other hand...

Raex

wtf i tried this on my unit and its silent there's some witchcraft going on with yours
Did you put it in high gain and tried with both inputs (XLR and RCA) or maybe set the volume control very loud.....?

usern

Has anyone noticed that when you unplug all your headphones while playing audio on high gain, and put your ear right next to the amp you can faintly hear the audio coming from inside the amp? I wonder from which component. it doesn't matter to me, just find it interesting.
Not happening on my A30pro. I'm using XLR inputs though.

Top Bottom