• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB - quick measurements

Interference

Try feeding it with an external source, something you can rely on (a DAC with a good SINAD, at least 110 dB).

Yes. I am planning to get such a DAC, also because testing power amplifiers requires ground isolation between the source and the analyser, so one device is not enough.

Clarett 2Pre has no RCA sockets, right? If you're trying to get output signal from Clarett 2Pre via the TRS outputs to an external ADC that has RCA inputs, then you are probably short-circuiting V- from each output by doing this, hence the higher distortions (unless I'm misunderstanding your setup).

Correct, but I observed no such degradation with the E-MU. Operation with TS jacks is perfectly possible according to the manual.

Feel free to post here some of these measurements. Also, use a scope or a TrueRMS multimeter to measure the output voltage for each channel tested.

Will do!

P.S.: Note sure what exactly you want to do with the Clarett 2Pre, but for 4 to 6 V RMS measurements, Motu M4 might be a better match, especially for measuring 5 W @ 8 Ohms outputs coming from amplifiers. If you need best measurements for 0.77 V RMS inputs, then let me know, maybe I'll have time to do again couple of measurements for both Motu M4 and Clarett 2Pre, while being fed from Topping D90 (120 dB SINAD). This will show the truth about their ADC inputs only, just in case their DAC-outputs might have SINAD troubles for lower volumes (like 0.77 V RMS).

I am typically interested in measuring DACs at 2 Vrms but sometimes lower (my DAP outputs around 1.6 Vrms, PC motherboard outputs are also lower). To test power amplifiers I use 2 x 2 Ohm resistors in series to get a 4 Ohm load, so that I have a test point in the middle where 2 Vrms correspond to 4 W of power. If you have the chance to compare the ADCs of the Clarett and the Motu I'll be happy to see the results, but don't feel pressured :)

Thanks for the feedback so far!

P.S.: I have given a second look at the Motu M4 and it seems Linux support has improved. I could consider buying it as my desktop DAC / swissknife instead of the Clarett. Will think of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: trl

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Yes. I am planning to get such a DAC, also because testing power amplifiers requires ground isolation between the source and the analyser, so one device is not enough.
Laptop on battery and an ADC that is powered via that laptop or has an external power supply with an isolation transformer inside (could be SMPS, but only it is isolated with a transformer). Both Clarett and M4 can do this job well.
P.S.: I have given a second look at the Motu M4 and it seems Linux support has improved. I could consider buying it as my desktop DAC / swissknife instead of the Clarett. Will think of it.
Hmmm...maybe I'll get an ubuntu Live these days to give it a try with both M4 and Clarett. What distro have you used?

Interference

Laptop on battery and an ADC that is powered via that laptop or has an external power supply with an isolation transformer inside (could be SMPS, but only it is isolated with a transformer). Both Clarett and M4 can do this job well.

Hmmm...maybe I'll get an ubuntu Live these days to give it a try with both M4 and Clarett. What distro have you used?

Fedora is my main driver but I would go for Manjaro to be sure of having the latest kernel without upgrading the live distro :)

jdubs

Forum Donor
Hey all, does the Clarett 2Pre USB work with wasapi exclusive mode on the inputs? I'm investigating using one of these as the INPUT (from my turntable) to HQPlayer.

Thanks,
Jim

Melodeath

So, do we think Julien's measurements are wrong? They seemt o conflict with measurements in this thread.

I've been using the Clarett 2Pre USB with 32 ohm headphones for over a year and only just found this possible issue. I usually only have the volume pot up 50% as well. It's unclear if that would be in the "reasonable" part of the THD curve, regardless.

Top Bottom