• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GLM 4?

OP
mkt

mkt

Hephaestus

OP
mkt

mkt

Postive gain (idk what that dip is)
1626361324503.png

zym1010

Forum Donor
In the livestream, Genelec people said GLM 4.1 now makes the high frequency part less bright. Does that mean GLM has a different target response curve now?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Postive gain (idk what that dip is)
View attachment 141317
My intuition is that if this dip is caused by cancellation, such an inverse filter may help narrowing it, thus making it less audible.
> Cloud only
*sigh*

By the way, can any GLM user answer this question: is there an equal loudness mechanism relative to a specified reference level available?

Last edited:
OP
mkt

mkt

In the livestream, Genelec people said GLM 4.1 now makes the high frequency part less bright. Does that mean GLM has a different target response curve now?
I could be wrong but the target curve is still flat. (See screenshot above). Engaging the Sound Character Profiler can pull down the high frequency (see below screenshot with HF tilt; 6kHz; -2db) using High Shelf 1. But I thought that was in 4.0?
1626364944092.png

zym1010

Forum Donor
I could be wrong but the target curve is still flat. (See screenshot above). Engaging the Sound Character Profiler can pull down the high frequency (see below screenshot with HF tilt; 6kHz; -2db) using High Shelf 1. But I thought that was in 4.0?
View attachment 141336

1. Yes I think overall curve changing using the profiler has been possible since long time ago.
2. Maybe what Genelec people meant is that they will have a flat target curve in a small room, but slightly sloped target curve in a large room, where small/large is detected automatically by GLM?

Thomas Lund

Technical Expert
Industry Insider

The "target curve" remains the same. The goal in GLM has always been a flat frequency response of perceived-direct sound. Earlier versions of GLM achieved this in general, considering ITU-R BS.1116 compliant rooms.

Now, by for instance taking more a priori information about each monitor into account, the baseline frequency response has become more relevant in livelier rooms, and under ultra nearfield listening conditions.

zym1010

Forum Donor
The "target curve" remains the same. The goal in GLM has always been a flat frequency response of perceived-direct sound. Earlier versions of GLM achieved this in general, considering ITU-R BS.1116 compliant rooms.

Now, by for instance taking more a priori information about each monitor into account, the baseline frequency response has become more relevant in livelier rooms, and under ultra nearfield listening conditions.

Thanks! looks like overall that means GLM 4.1 has a better calibration algorithm using better modeling / more information of the monitors, with the SAME ultimate goal as pre-GLM 4.1.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
"Users of the 8331A, 8341A, 8351B and 8361A models from ‘The Ones’ series of coaxial three-way point source monitors will welcome the new ability of GLM 4.1 to extend phase linearity right down to 100 Hz. With coaxial monitors, phase linearity is a valuable feature because it improves off-axis performance and stabilises UNF imaging too. GLM 4.1 accurately time aligns all the monitors in a room, across types, taking The Ones’ wide phase linearity setting into account."

What does it basically mean?

Last edited:

Mikk

I think they were referring to the ability to lift the 100-300Hz range gently, making the tonal balance less bright, lessening the need to use HF rolloff/shelving.

Mikk

The 'Meet GLM 4.1' video from Genelec is worth a watch for any Genelec owners, and highlights the new features available in 4.1, and how to get the best from your setup. I picked up a number of valuable tips.

Sebastiaan de Vries

"Users of the 8331A, 8341A, 8351B and 8361A models from ‘The Ones’ series of coaxial three-way point source monitors will welcome the new ability of GLM 4.1 to extend phase linearity right down to 100 Hz. With coaxial monitors, phase linearity is a valuable feature because it improves off-axis performance and stabilises UNF imaging too. GLM 4.1 accurately time aligns all the monitors in a room, across types, taking The Ones’ wide phase linearity setting into account."

What does it basically mean?
I wonder the same thing. Hopefully Thomas can elaborate:
  1. Will activating the phase linear mode improves the phase response of the filters and system response on steady state without calibration?
  2. Or does it imply that GLM takes the room into account and corrects the phase response post GLM and correct according to the room?

onion

I'm not sure how extended phase linearisation works but it audibly improves 3d spatial audio performance in my system (using BACCHMac). Weirdly, the measured magnitude of cross-talk cancellation (XTC) has not changed much.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I wonder the same thing. Hopefully Thomas can elaborate:
  1. Will activating the phase linear mode improves the phase response of the filters and system response on steady state without calibration?
  2. Or does it imply that GLM takes the room into account and corrects the phase response post GLM and correct according to the room?
Pretty sure this concerns direct sound only, which does make sense since they now say they can better differentiate between direct and reflected sound. Basically, they just add some delay to frequencies higher than 100 Hz to compensate for natural and filter induced group delay.

Thomas Lund

Technical Expert
Industry Insider

Extended linear phase mode equalises radiated delay from 100 Hz and up, with or without frequency response compensation. The "cost" is a few ms additional delay at 1 kHz.

The Ones make on-axis and off-axis sound naturally coherent, thereby helping an experienced listener differentiate between direct sound and reflections, and to exploit acoustic summation of multiple channels in the room, e.g. using head and body movement.

Extended linear phase mode further boosts such coherency, to an extent I have not experienced before in reproduction. Manipulating phase at the listener rather than at the origin, in general is not helpful from a natural/neutral perspective.

Sebastiaan de Vries

Extended linear phase mode equalises radiated delay from 100 Hz and up, with or without frequency response compensation. The "cost" is a few ms additional delay at 1 kHz.

The Ones make on-axis and off-axis sound naturally coherent, thereby helping an experienced listener differentiate between direct sound and reflections, and to exploit acoustic summation of multiple channels in the room, e.g. using head and body movement.

Extended linear phase mode further boosts such coherency, to an extent I have not experienced before in reproduction. Manipulating phase at the listener rather than at the origin, in general is not helpful from a natural/neutral perspective.

Thanks a lot Thomas. Then all I need to do is download GLM4.1 and activate “extended linear phase mode” without running GLM acoustic correction and then I be good to go right?

I look forward to it and report back the subjective differences I hear after the weekend.

jarno

Thanks a lot Thomas. Then all I need to do is download GLM4.1 and activate “extended linear phase mode” without running GLM acoustic correction and then I be good to go right?

I look forward to it and report back the subjective differences I hear after the weekend.

I'm pretty sure you are prompted recalibrate when you change the setting, whether it is from OFF to ON or the other way around when you are editing an existing Group.

Sebastiaan de Vries

I'm pretty sure you are prompted recalibrate when you change the setting, whether it is from OFF to ON or the other way around when you are editing an existing Group.
Thanks. I don’t use GLM for calibration because I let the Trinnov Altitude-32 perform the room and multichannel time correction.

Top Bottom