• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Balanced with RCA?

Bafri

Asking about Balanced. If im using a Balanced Amp with xlr headphone connection and set it up with rca, will it also powered balanced? Or is it because of the rca connection single ended?

I wanna use my Audeze LCD with Balanced Cable on my SINGXER SA-1 connect via RCA to 3.5 to my Mac Mini M1 would i get the full power of the amp or do i need a balanced Dac?

Veri

Master Contributor
Asking about Balanced. If im using a Balanced Amp with xlr headphone connection and set it up wirh rca, will it also powered balanced?
Unless the amp is marked such that only RCA powers RCA and XLR powers XLR; it should definitely work both ways.
However, RCA feeds your amp ~2 volts, nominally. XLR input will feed your amp input double the voltage.

RCA input will power balanced, but XLR inputs will yield higher maximum volume output. But it is not strictly necessary.

OP
B

Bafri

But i would get benefit to use a blanced cable instead of quarter inch?

Veri

Master Contributor
But i would get benefit to use a blanced cable instead of quarter inch?
There are amplifiers that give an XLR headphone output, but is wired identical to unbalanced output. There are other amps that have a true(more powerful) balanced output. The Singxer will give benefit from balanced output, yes :) But you won't get full power from the amp.

Especially, Mac Mini M1 output might not be powerful enough. You can get an excellent balanced DAC from $139 though:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/topping-d10-balanced-review-usb-dac.25094/

Maximum power is balanced DAC input, balanced XLR output. For your particular amp.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bafri

Interesting! Which cable do i need for the Topping to connect?

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A balanced headphone connection is not the same as a balanced connection between an amp and source for example.

The balanced connection on a headphone, with a four pin XLR plug in your case (I have a balanced headphone with two three pin XLR connections), is designed to separate the left and right signal to your ears, claiming that this improves the sound compared to a single jack plug for both left and right. I don't think most people or manufacturers are convinced this is actually true.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

Why Balanced Headphone Amps? | Page 8 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

If you haven't bought the balanced cable yet I'd stick with the 6.35mm (1/4") jack plug. The cable should be cheaper.

A balanced connection, for amps to CD player for example, is based on the idea that cables add noise to the sound so I understand. Apparently they do but only over relatively long distances, not for the meter or two that we use when listening. So balanced in these circumstances is probably also unnecessary.

The SINGXER SA-1 seems to be an amplifier only. I'm not familiar with a Mac Mini. I understand it is a computer so can be a source of digital music and have some software DAC, so out of it comes analogue music - is that correct? The output seems to be the 3.5mm headphone socket so yes, use that to twin RCA plugs. I think it's worth trying this to hear what you get. If not satisfied, look at an external DAC with USB input.

It's often said that you can better a computer DAC with a separate one. That Topping D10 may be such a DAC. A USB from your Mac Mini to the D10, and, according to the thread linked above (post 16), the Topping comes with XLR to 1/4" jack cables. Amir says that with balanced you get the 'benefits of balanced line output (main one being much higher immunity to ground loops)' so it must be true.

Last edited:

Bullwinkle J Moose

The SINGXER SA-1 seems to be an amplifier only. I'm not familiar with a Mac Mini. I understand it is a computer so can be a source of digital music and have some software DAC, so out of it comes analogue music - is that correct?

No, that is not correct

A "software" DAC can take a digital input and "display" an analog signal or waveform on your screen
(A.K.A. Digital Oscilloscope or Digital Audio Editor)

A hardware DAC (in the context of digital music reproduction) can take a digital input and output an analog waveform for your ears

Last edited:

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, that is not correct

A "software" DAC can take a digital input and "display" an analog signal on your screen
(A.K.A. Digital Oscilloscope or Digital Audio Editor)

A hardware DAC can take a digital input and output an analog waveform for your ears

Perhaps I got this wrong and the DAC in a PC and Mac Mini is on the Motherboard and so is hardware?

OP
B

Bafri

Choosing the Mac Mini M1 but compred with an Chord Mojo, the M1 is only a bit sharper and looses abit on dynamics/depth (maybe 5% it dosent make a big difference) but have in mind the Mojo is a warm amp dac and also costs 500€. Im Happy with the Mac Mini M1 Dac and like it more than the grace dac that i had before. Said the sound of the Mac Mini M1 is really good.

OP
B

Bafri

Found this :

I’ve observed that with the Audiobyte HydraVoxthat offers a lower voltage of 3.8 V on its XLR output, the high-gain wasn’t enough with some particular headphones. For example, Audeze LCD-4 were almost maxed out, leaving little to no headroom for better mastered music. In my humble opinion, Singxer should go with a higher gain, 16, 20 or 25 dB would be perfect with much harder loads. The good news is that when I’ve switched to a Gustard X26 PRO that outputs a much higher 5V on its XLR, the volume plunged higher and SA-1 was now fully driving the LCD-4 with flying colors, leaving plenty of headroom for higher dynamics. If you find it a little overwhelming at first, I recommend trying a source that can output a higher voltage to the industry standard 4V and you’ll be squeezing more power from it.

So it needs a powerful balanced Dac. That would be recommended? Dont wanna spend that much

Veri

Master Contributor
So it needs a powerful balanced Dac. That would be recommended? Dont wanna spend that much
Erm, what headphones are you going to use? The LCD-4 retail for near $4000, surely you're not going to take that as an example; for general purpose any balanced DAC + your amp should be able to drive almost anything :p It doesn't "need" a powerful DAC.

OP
B

Bafri

Thank you do you recommend the Topping D10 Balanced over the SMSL SU 8 Balanced?

Veri

Master Contributor
Thank you do you recommend the Topping D10 Balanced over the SMSL SU 8 Balanced?
Actually I do. The SU-8 is surely fine too, but the D10B seems a bit better and has digital outs. SU-8 has RCA outs. You'd have to check what would be best in your use.

OP
B

Bafri

Thank you, is the D10 a warm sounding Dac? I use the Jumpers with the Singxer SA1 and need a warm sound

Top Bottom