• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

b4nt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Another thing to notice is that the issue is not limited to us or the implementation.

May you have more details? Is this related to jitter or clock quality of the source? Or maybe related to signal and shapes?

May any cheap optical/coax reclocker help to solve this?

woof!

I can tell you how it is straightforward. E30 prior to SN2103 has AK4118 as SPDIF receiver. D90se has LC89091. It's an improvement from the CS8416 which was used in D30pro and newer E30 that have the issue too.
Thanks for clearing things up.
Edit: yeah looks like I have the old E30. SN2010

Question I have is, since I don't have Nintendo switch, do you know if you can connect your Nintendo to D90se? So that we can check both PS4 and switch.
Unfortunately Nintendo Switch doesn't have an optical out. Audio out from TV through optical out have the same issue.
E.g. https://soundcloud.com/daskfa-k-176352817%2F072521102925-normal Issue at these timestamp: 00:04, 00:34, 2:02, 2:20

Problem for you is that this to us is not a new issue and has been reported before. Although we are still gathering information for LC89091 implementation which we initially thought had no issue. So there's no way to improve the situation for the units being sold. If you are comfortable with the connections that don't have the issue then it's great, enjoy. If you feel it's too big of an inconvenience, you can make your decision to return the unit or not.
Too bad, I was hoping for some work around. Forgot to mention that I bought one of this Optical to Coaxial https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7TDXF6 in an attempt to fix it but it make things worse. It got the same issue + some extra noise.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
? I can't find any images of the rear that show any labels like Made In China and CE, etc......?

Last edited:

nagster

d90se_ce01.jpg

auronthas

OK then. The circuits don't turn off..
Just read this thread.

In my previous query on D90 ASR thread, when power supply resume from power disruption, my D90 (previous model) is turned on with display screen and not on standby mode (even i turn off the auto power mode), is D90 similar power circuitry like D90SE ?

It becomes my habit to turn off the rear switch whenever I finish listening to music.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Just read this thread.

In my previous query on D90 ASR thread, when power supply resume from power disruption, my D90 (previous model) is turned on with display screen and not on standby mode (even i turn off the auto power mode), is D90 similar power circuitry like D90SE ?

It becomes my habit to turn off the rear switch whenever I finish listening to music.
Normal D90 should have lower consumption when idle with auto on turned off.

auronthas

Normal D90 should have lower consumption when idle with auto on turned off.
Thanks for your reply, John.

My question was not about power consumption but your previous answer "the circuits don't turn off" .

Does it means when power supply resume after a power outage , the D90 will turn on with display on and not in standby mode like most devices?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks for your reply, John.

My question was not about power consumption but your previous answer "the circuits don't turn off" .

Does it means when power supply resume after a power outage , the D90 will turn on with display on and not in standby mode like most devices?
Yes.

auronthas

Right sir.

So to prevent from D90 turn on when power resume (just like some air-conditioning unit power turn on when power resume). I will switch off the rear switch and to save the power consumption. Right? It becomes my habitual routine and find it's not too inconvenience.

DACs_Lover

I wish that one day MEGADacs claimed to be super good have measurements shown to us. We will all know gow good they really are.

rlwings

Hey guys 2 questions:

(1) I have a pretty revealing system but for the life of me I can't hear any difference between the 7 different roll-off filters of the D90SE... Is this normal? - Which filter is the recommended for best sound? (Even though I can't hear it?) ...And why is 3 the default?

(2) My understanding is that the two gain settings on trhe D90SE are 4v and 5v for XLR and are equal 2.1v and 2.6v for RCA's... I am using RCA's, so which gain setting would provide better performance? My amp's inputs can handle both.

Thanks. :)

rlwings

Hey guys 2 questions:

(1) I have a pretty revealing system but for the life of me I can't hear any difference between the 7 different roll-off filters of the D90SE... Is this normal? - Which filter is the recommended for best sound? (Even though I can't hear it? lol) ... And why is 3 the default?

(2) My understanding is that the two gain settings on trhe D90SE are 4v and 5v for XLR and are equal 2.1v and 2.6v for RCA's... I am using RCA's in DAC only mode, so which gain setting would provide better performance? My amp's inputs can handle both but the volume is better matched with the 2.6v setting. (Using Marantz Model 30 integrated amp).

Thanks. :)

Last edited:

David_M

(1) This is very normal. Most folks CANNOT hear the difference between these 7 filter choices, including many reviewers from big-name audio and video magazines. Why is filter 3 the default (not in the 90SE only but in practically all DACs out there)? My guess is it was chosen based on someone's preference early on in the initial product testing process.

(2) If using RCA, then use the 4v setting. If XLR, then use the 5v setting. Personally, I prefer XLRs to RCA's all the time for common-mode noise reduction or elimination.

rlwings

(1) This is very normal. Most folks CANNOT hear the difference between these 7 filter choices, including many reviewers from big-name audio and video magazines. Why is filter 3 the default (not in the 90SE only but in practically all DACs out there)? My guess is it was chosen based on someone's preference early on in the initial product testing process.

(2) If using RCA, then use the 4v setting. If XLR, then use the 5v setting. Personally, I prefer XLRs to RCA's all the time for common-mode noise reduction or elimination.
Thank you for your answers! - The thing is that the 5v sounds better through my amp. The 4v seems too quiet. But I was wondering if the 4v measures better or worse than the 5v using RCA's in DAC only mode. (No preamp)

Top Bottom