• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quotable Quotes

Newman

Major Contributor
Those capable of making good converters and solid state electronics, do.
Those not capable of making good sounding solid state power amps, make tube amplifiers.
Those not capable of making tube amplifiers, make loudspeakers.
Those not capable of making loudspeakers, make cables.
Those not capable of making cables, sell rocks said to dramatically improve sound.

- Bruno Putzeys

Let me reward one quotable audio quote with another:

"It was the perfect high end audio product: Exotic, inefficient, expensive, unavailable, and toxic." Nelson Pass

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me reward one quotable audio quote with another:

"It was the perfect high end audio product: Exotic, inefficient, expensive, unavailable, and toxic." Nelson Pass
All time classic , here is also another variant of it:

1627252696070.png

Anthony101

"Once you teach an audiophile to say what they do not understand, it is easy enough to get them to say anything you like in a review."

Newman

Major Contributor
But…. isn’t “already paid for” just a synonym for “taken for granted”? ;)

egellings

Major Contributor
I view serendipity as more of a happy accident than an aptitude.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I view serendipity as more of a happy accident than an aptitude.
Modern thinking is that systems can be managed to enhance the likelihood of serendipity. Similarly one's ability to perceive the value of a particular serendipitous event can be greater or less than another's and one can develop one's skill at it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serendipity

Blaspheme

It's badass, what else is there? o_O
Some like big butts, but taste isn't universal.

I'll contribute:

"In theory, theory and practice are the same, in practice they aren't"

Often attributed to Yogi Berra (not being from the US myself, hence ignorant of baseball, I thought this was a deliberate misspelling of the cartoon character until today) but Snopes reckons it appeared first (slightly different wording, but my version is better) in a book on programming Pascal by Savitch, likely originating from Jan van de Snepscheut. The latter is such a cool name that I'm good with that attribution.

Top Bottom