• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are corroded monoprice banana plugs still good?

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
I recently purchased these monoprice banana plugs (https://www.monoprice.eu/products/m...r-wall-plates-and?_pos=2&_sid=c64965014&_ss=r).

These should be “24K gold plated brass plug”.

After handling of these for about one hour in my hand (just playing with it) it seems to be totally corroded. The right one is the corroded one.

PXL_20210723_094301232.jpg

Can someone please tell me:

• Can these really be gold plated?
  • Should I still use it in this corroded form?
  • Should I use these anyway (corroded or not corroded) or are they just bad quality?
Would be nice if anyone could help me out here and tell me what is going on.

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would buy something else. I live by the sea and the salty atmosphere corrodes everything that can corrode but my *very* cheap banana plugs bought on ebay a few years ago haven't corroded at all. I wouldn't use those monoprice ones. If that's 24k gold plate then I'm a banana.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Weird... And disappointing... The (tin?) plating on a "regular" banana plug doesn't corrode like that and of course gold shouldn't corrode either... I've got some of the silver-colored ones at work that are 10 or 20 years old.

It will probably "work" as-is but I'd try to clean the contacts. Maybe with some metal/brass polish. Polish would "polish-off" any gold plating but apparently there's not much gold anyway...

If it's brass, a quick-Google says you can use tomato sauce or you can make a paste with vinegar, salt, and flour. But, it's probably going to corrode again so of course it's up to you if you want to buy something else.

egellings

Major Contributor
Use a little 4-aught steel wool to shine them up again. I doubt that real Au plating would do that.

OP
ironhorse128

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
Thanks all for the feedback. I guess I will try to sent them back.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Methinks someone left the Au out of the "gold" plating.....

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The good gold ones often have a thicker layer of nickel under the gold. These are definitely not in that category.

ouimetnick

I bought those a few years ago. I replaced them with Amazon Basics ones. The amazon ones are insulated and better fitting and easier to install the wire. I tossed the Monoprice ones (some were still unused) in the trash.

Grumpish

If it is worth the effort, send them back - that looks like like raw brass to me (I am old enough to remember being expected to polish brass fireplace tools as part of my chores to earn my pocket money, something that would probably be regarded as child abuse by todays entitled brats).

dfuller

Major Contributor
The (tin?) plating on a "regular" banana plug doesn't corrode like that
Usually nickel, if I recall correctly.
Acid Hands. It’s a thing. Ask any gun collector :confused:
Or any guitarist. Some of the people I know just eat strings unless they buy stainless strings (which eat frets, unless you get stainless frets).

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just use some contact cleaner and plug them back in. Realistically they should still function fine.

OP
ironhorse128

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
I tested two more banana plugs with my having it in my hand for an hour test. Both passed the test, there is no sign of corrosion.

The most right one is KabelDirekt (https://www.amazon.de/-/en/KabelDir...88&sprefix=kabel+direkt+banana,aps,180&sr=8-3) and the one next to it is a rather expensive Rembus (https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Rembus-L...bus+bananenstecker&qid=1627287240&sr=8-2&th=1 ).

Thus, these monoprice banana plugs are really missing a gold plating, even though they were described otherwise. I always thought monoprice is a trustworthy company.
PXL_20210726_081031710.jpg

Top Bottom