• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend toslink cable for 24/192

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Like others have said, it is the send/receive chips that are the limit. Not the cable, even the cheap plastic cable. However, it is quite possible to have a cable that got kinked and you don't know it or the end isn't terminated well.

OP
Aldoszx

Aldoszx

So what will happen if you can only get 24-bit/96K, most streaming audio will be 16-bit/44.1K.
I cannot say it is a big problem. But there are 24/192 tracks on Amazon Music HD and I would like to be sent to the DAC to the same sample rate, not down-sampled.
Also, I would like to know if Topping D50s has indeed the capabilities specified in their marketing materials.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@twsecrest, I have just tried them !
One of my cables gives no sound with 24/192 signal.
The others, have a lot of gaps, pops and cracks when playing 24/192.
If I set max resolution at 24/96, all of them can handle it.
If the cables can carry 24-bit/96K without issues, then they can (should) pass 24-bit/192K.
I'm guessing there is an issue with the motherboard's optical output port.
Also in the Windows, control panel > Sound> Realtek, under Supported Formats, is 24-bit/192k enabled?
In the Advanced tab have you tried setting the sample rate to 24-bit/192k?
Make and model of motherboard?

MaxRockbin

Not directly related to the question, but Technology Connections on youtube has a great video about the history of TOSLINK.
and a shorter follow-up video
Technology Connections has a ton of great videos on the history and workings of (mostly) older consumer tech.

OP
Aldoszx

Aldoszx

MRC01

Major Contributor
I have a cheap plastic toslink cable that doesn't work above 48-24. My other toslink cables are from BlueJeans Cable and they work at 192-24.
So while it may usually be a xmitter or receiver problem, it can sometimes be a cable problem.

OP
Aldoszx

Aldoszx

Thanks for the recommendations !
I am gonna try to find a reliable cable.

Bamyasi

I am using this model with my Fire TV Stick 4K. Works just fine at 24-bit / 192 kHz Amazon Music UltraHD resolution. Note, the one I have is the shortest available length. Just ignore the nonsense about gold plating, the price is reasonable and it is good quality.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Toslink cables are NOT the limiters.

TOSLINK receivers are designed up to 5Mbs some up to 8Mbs.
It is a technical limit because these receivers are intended for Asynchronous transmission.
There are also newer receivers that can reach 16Mbs (Asynchronous) with receivers all the way up to 155Mbs (synchronous)

44.1kHz/16-bit: 44,100 x 16 x2 = 1,411,200 (1.4Mbps)
96kHz/24bit
: 96,000 X 24 X 2 = 5,308,000 bits per second (5.3Mbps)
192kHz/24bit: 192,000 X 24 X 2 = 9,216,000 bits per second (9.2Mbps)

These numbers are the sole audio data, and not address this topic as it is about SPDIF. SPDIF (as AES) has 32 bit blocks, and you need another x2 due to the biphase modulation of the SPDIF signal. TOSLINKs that we use for 192 kHz compatibility therefore are specced 25 Mbps (these are available for 20 years already and not expensive). Cheap stuff still uses the standard 12 Mbps version and then has problems going higher than 96 kHz - as you correctly mention mostly on the receiver side.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
need another x2 due to the biphase modulation of the SPDIF signal.

Ah yes...

Some cheap 1mm fibers also have higher attenuation.

FeddyLost

It depends on cable length, transmitter and receiver.
All 3 cables of 1 m length I've used, worked well from discrete Asus soundcard to any outboard equipment I have at 24/192.
It was Belsis, Inakustik and some cheap noname.
I'd not expect any of plastic toslink to handle 24/192 at 3 m or more ... and glass toslink with low loss fiber is kind of overkill with their prices.

SKBubba

Hm, I am gonna try to connect same cable to another DAC. Maybe this is the problem.
Maybe JohnYang could tell us if D50s support 24/192 via Toslink.

Think you have to install their drivers to get that. Never mind if you've already done that.

OP
Aldoszx

Aldoszx

I have drivers installed.
The motherboard is an Asus WS one with ALC1150 codec onboard and the length of toslink cable is 1 to 2m (what I have now).
Thank you all for sugestions !
I will try to find a good cable and came back with news.

Lupin

Think you have to install their drivers to get that. Never mind if you've already done that.
Topping drivers are XMOS USB drivers with Topping flavour over it, I don't see how that is going to help for optical toslink.

OP
Aldoszx

Aldoszx

After a few tests, I can say that indeed, the optical cable seems to be the problem.
At this moment, I can play 24/194 files using digital coaxial output of the motherboard.
I am using the SPDIF header and an old composite video RCA cable.

Lupin

After a few tests, I can say that indeed, the optical cable seems to be the problem.
At this moment, I can play 24/194 files using digital coaxial output of the motherboard.
I am using the SPDIF header and an old composite video RCA cable.
You do know that S/PDIF over coax is a different interface than S/PDIF over optical, although they are the same protocol?
S/PDIF over coax has a higher bandwidth so you experience no problem transferring 24/192 over coax. This means nothing for S/PDIF over optical and if your optical cable is the limiting factor in trying to transfer 24/192 over optical.

To use an analogy.. (ok not exactly the same but close enough)
You're plugging an USB3.0 cable into an USB2.0 port and you don't get the USB3.0 speed.. you're concluding now that the USB3.0 cable is not good enough quality and if you buy another USB3.0 cable you might get USB3.0 speeds out of an USB2.0 poort.

I'd say enjoy 24/96 over optical or stay at coax if you want 24/192.

OP
Aldoszx

Aldoszx

@Lupin I don't know that your affirmation is correct, but for me it works like that.
As far as I know, SPDIF header of the motherboard can be used also as toslink connection not only as coaxial one.

The pinout is 5V.SPDIFOUT.GND, and the bracket has coaxial and optical output.
So, I don't think the optical connection is different than coaxial.

Top Bottom