• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who else cant go back to closed back headphones after listening to open back?

raif71

Major Contributor
Most of my headphones are open backed ... The Senns 6 series and hd800 etc but I could never wear one when the family is around. My wife would say Oi... why are you listening so loud? I explained this is the characteristic of open backed headphones but she then says, then what's the purpose of wearing headphones if others can hear ? :facepalm:. Now whenever anybody is around, I wear AT m50x or iems :)

Tatr76

Most of my headphones are open backed ... The Senns 6 series and hd800 etc but I could never wear one when the family is around. My wife would say Oi... why are you listening so loud? I explained this is the characteristic of open backed headphones but she then says, then what's the purpose of wearing headphones if others can hear ? :facepalm:. Now whenever anybody is around, I wear AT m50x or iems :)
Closed back/iems have that advantage and saves those around me of my dubious musical taste :)

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll attest that I am one of those individual' that can't go back to closed back headphones after listening to open back's for most of my life. I did dabble in making a pair of closed back headphones which sounded great but the soundstage was too narrow for my liking.

markanini

Major Contributor
I'm the opposite. Open backs put me in an ethereal space and I quickly grow tired of. To me closed back delivers the meat.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Can i get a Amen!!

Can't honestly say I can tell the difference in a quiet environment. Closed backs seem perhaps to have more slam behind kick drums even with similar EQ to open backs. Most of my phones are open but I'm beginning to prefer closed ...

Pretorious

I like closed headphones for the isolation, but I wear glasses, and the clamping force of them used to achieve that isolation usually makes them uncomfortable after a certain amount of time. So I don't wear them often, even if being in a home environment with some background noise being a constant.

For me then open back headphones win almost on comfort alone. But the generally more even frequency response also helps.

fluufy

After my husband complained one too many times about the noise from my Sundaras, I cracked and went to look for something closed. Tried Beyer t5p (too much treble), srh1540 (too mellow) and Fostex T60rp (just right). The T60rp aren’t actually closed, but they’re closed enough to keep the tv out. With EQ they sound damn fine indeed, I run Oratory but with a bit less boost in the bass and 3-5k.

Of course the Sundara have more space, but the Fostex have their own thing - for example when listening to some Sinatra they will focus in on his voice, but then the brass kicks in and Blam! They really let you have it! It’s a lot of fun.

If I was to describe the difference, I’d say the Sundara put you in the sweet spot at the middle of the concert hall, the T60rp put you in the front row.

Top Bottom