• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements and Review of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But you do not say what they think of your results, and if any of this changed their minds about the sound of their systems. Since you do not mention this at all, I might guess more than likely not.
I don't know why you would guess that way without knowing anything about them.

As it turns out, one of them was going to sell his Yggdrasil anyway so he was not annoyed at all at my findings. The other person was very receptive, saw the issues with the Analog 2 board in the other one and thought for sure that was broken performance and that Schiit should fix it. I don't know where himself landed on his Yggdrasil.

Candlesticks

I don't know why you would guess that way without knowing anything about them.

As it turns out, one of them was going to sell his Yggdrasil anyway so he was not annoyed at all at my findings. The other person was very receptive, saw the issues with the Analog 2 board in the other one and thought for sure that was broken performance and that Schiit should fix it. I don't know where himself landed on his Yggdrasil.

Will you be uploading your project files for each DAC measurement now that you can?

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yes, it is best to keep all this great knowledge confined to the few that can properly understand it. Leave the clueless to enjoy their music with their faulty equipment.
Well there’s certainly nothing in the way of great knowledge being shared by you if your posts here are anything to go by.

Just what do you think your contributing to the world of Audio with these disingenuous, sarcastic jabs of yours .. I’m sure they are very self satisfying for you and I guess we can possibly learn a deal about you though them too.

You do a poor job of hiding your contempt, other than expressing contempt is there a reason your here?

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
is there a reason your here?
Same as anyone else. Don't always make assumptions, of what one is thinking.

Did not realize that the discussions here carry the weight of life and deaf. I apologize for the humor.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it is best to keep all this great knowledge confined to the few that can properly understand it. Leave the clueless to enjoy their music with their faulty equipment.

I'm concerned for you. Your postings keep getting more and more erratic and also breaking with reality as Amir stated he's posted the same information at other forums and other parties have unfortunately moderated it.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Same as anyone else. Don't always make assumptions, of what one is thinking.

Did not realize that the discussions here carry the weight of life and deaf. I apologize for the humor.

Well you do spin a consistent narrative through your postings and though you chose to hide behind humour a lot of the time it can become tiresome when most of what your posting is satirising the author/members in general and comes across as dismissive and a tad disingenuous as your not engaging on equal footing choosing to ridicule instead.

Humor can be used for all sorts of reasons , often to hide a emotion such as frustration or indeed affection but it’s ideally inclusive so something we share with those we are directly addressing rather than being a tool for ridicule or laughing at folks. Often you come across on the more disingenuous side of the line ( like your using it as a sniper rifle, from afar ) it wears thin and really is no basis for discussion amongst equals.

Try mixing it up a bit, I’d like to see you engage in more honest debate wrt our audio discussions . I know we are all ridiculous but let’s just pretend that’s not true now and then lol .

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Well you do spin a consistent narrative through your postings and though you chose to hide behind humour a lot of the time it can become tiresome when most of what your posting is satirising the author/members in general and comes across as dismissive and a tad disingenuous as your not engaging on equal footing choosing to ridicule instead.

Humor can be used for all sorts of reasons , often to hide a emotion such as frustration or indeed affection but it’s ideally inclusive so something we share with those we are directly addressing rather than being a tool for ridicule or laughing at folks. Often you come across on the more disingenuous side of the line ( like your using it as a sniper rifle, from afar ) it wears thin and really is no basis for discussion amongst equals.

Try mixing it up a bit, I’d like to see you engage in more honest debate wrt our audio discussions . I know we are all ridiculous but let’s just pretend that’s not true now and then lol .
OK, np. A thing that can be a bit irksome at times is the absolutism. IMO there is so much more that we don't know than we do. YMMV

Wombat

Master Contributor
But we(mankind) know lots about lots. More than most individuals are aware of, let alone comprehend.. :D

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, np. A thing that can be a bit irksome at times is the absolutism. IMO there is so much more that we don't know than we do. YMMV

Brain research has nothing to do with whether an electrical signal is being changed in a bit of hifi or not.
I often see this sort of thing rolled out.
The fact is, if there is no alteration of the signal by two pieces of kit being compared the output of the loudspeaker is exactly the same, so there is no difference for any bit of brain or sensory equipment to chew upon.
If one piece of kit degrades the signal in any way, the output of the loudspeaker will be different in ways which may or may not be audible (or sensed in another way perhaps?).
Maybe when one piece of kit degrades the signal one person may sense the change whilst another may not.
This still has absolutely nothing to do with measurement and whether the kit is working properly.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
If one piece of kit degrades the signal in any way, the output of the loudspeaker will be different in ways which may or may not be audible (or sensed in another way perhaps?).
Maybe when one piece of kit degrades the signal one person may sense the change whilst another may not.
This is reasonable. But do you feel this must always be measurable? The general consensus is that lower distortion is always better, but is it really? We respond differently to harmonics. Lower, even order are more pleasant that higher, and odd order. Disconsonance is not always pleasant to the ear, we like natural progressions. An example of this unnatural sound is the Lydian mode.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
MO there is so much more that we don't know than we do. YMMV
Please don't keep repeating these cliches of subjectivists. We have heard it many times. Only do so if you can then add real references to new things we have not heard or read. This is not a place where we keep grinding ourselves over the same statement over and over again.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is reasonable. But do you feel this must always be measurable? The general consensus is that lower distortion is always better, but is it really?

I've always maintained the products from companies like Schiit, UpTone, mess up the signal and the dirty output may be euphoric to some listeners.

Hell I may even like it myself.

What it ISN'T is fidelity.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is reasonable. But do you feel this must always be measurable? The general consensus is that lower distortion is always better, but is it really? We respond differently to harmonics. Lower, even order are more pleasant that higher, and odd order. Disconsonance is not always pleasant to the ear, we like natural progressions. An example of this unnatural sound is the Lydian mode.

Oh I absolutely accept that some people may/do prefer a bit of added harmonic distortion, amongst other non-linearities. I have read that even harmonics are less dissonant than odd but JA in Stereophile states that 3rd harmonic are pleasant too. Don't know myself.
I think there is a whole mass of audio enthusiasts today, maybe even the majority of kit enthusiasts, who praise the sound of equipment which produces extra distortion. Several reviewers always prefer distorting products to clean ones. Also I think a lot of expensive "high end" kit has a tailored response, on purpose or by accident, so it sounds different and then many people will equate much more expensive and sounding different with "better".
I have no proof of this just the observation that kit with high distortion and frequency response modifying levels of output impedance (in power amps) are always praised by certain of them.
I have no problem with people enjoying inaccurate playback, I enjoy my record players after all, my problem is when the people are convinced that it is not the inaccuracy they are enjoying but some magic fairy dust which can not be measured which makes it sound more real. That is simply completely cockeyed IMO.
Paying silly money for it is even more barmy.

nefilim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom