• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Owners feedback...

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

shwnwllms

You need to solder those to the PCB.
View attachment 140857

Gustard sent me the instructions, are you sure those pins are soldered to the PCB? The photo they are using for the instructions show otherwise. I haven’t opened mine up yet to check.
99E1CFF2-3647-4756-9C03-F947AAA3B275.png

kopczas

On the last photo, J3 connector is the one for programming. Check my photo from previous page.

shwnwllms

On the last photo, J3 connector is the one for programming. Check my photo from previous page.
Yes I see that, I’m just not seeing why soldering is necessary. I’ve contacted both Gustard and the dealer I bought it from and they said soldering wasn’t needed for the firmware update. Did you use their programmer or just buy your own and load it yourself?

photo below is from their instructions, it looks like if you are using their programmer (or an identical model) soldering wouldn’t be needed.

C0D79DF6-D162-47AA-8CC1-6E0DAF65CBB8.png

Last edited:

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
OK...now you can temporarily part with it while Amir tests it......[grin]

Last edited:

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
I finally got mine and am really happy with it. Legit fabulous DAC.

An "endgame" DAC for short money.

And it actually has audiophile qualities in spades...PRAT, soundstaging, air - all there - an obvious alignment of measurement quality and sound quality.

Too bad most audiophiles won't give it a chance. Same with Emotiva amplification.

If it was in a big box, had a big display and cost thousands, it would likely be promoted by the magazines and well-heeled influencers with all kinds of superlatives.

It does like a couple of hours to warm up from new.

And BTW, pretty much all modern DACs appear to work perfectly with IOS. Auto rate switched, bit perfect output with no drivers. For me, it has become a streaming platform of choice. Apps for major streaming services are clean and light on IOS. And I am not an Apple fanboy :)

Last edited:

vco1

An "endgame" DAC for short money.
It's a pity a lot of these devices - if not all - show their price in other aspects. Cheap plastic knobs to start with. But also the placement of connectors. Not to mention quality control and durability. Some of them are details. Others are more fundamental.
My advice to the manufacturers would be to focus on these things now. It would make their technically "perfect" devices truly excellent. And yes, that could increase the price (slightly). But it'll be worth it for many people I assume.

sthaus

Amazon expects you to return it in the original box. I don't believe they send you a return parcel.
They refund money back already .. ! it’s up to them to send me or not get it back .. lol .. and I still have gustard original box

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
They refund money back already .. ! it’s up to them to send me or not get it back .. lol .. and I still have gustard original box
Amazon assumes you are honest. They've done that to me in the past-refund the $$ early, but I didn't keep the returned item.

sthaus

Amazon assumes you are honest. They've done that to me in the past-refund the $$ early, but I didn't keep the returned item.
At least they should send me an email about sticky code label for return .. I have not yet received

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
At least they should send me an email about sticky code label for return .. I have not yet received

They also have instructions about taking it to a UPS store and they will package and return it for you.

frankh

I guess I’ll never be a true audiophile then (notice the S4’s in the background)

View attachment 141883
I have the same Gustard X16/Singxer SA-1/LCD-X setup like yours and I'm loving it. For speakers I'm using the IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor and JBL LSR305 Massdrop matched pair version. From the looks of your setup above, your ADAM speakers are not getting much attention lately :)

shwnwllms

I have the same Gustard X16/Singxer SA-1/LCD-X setup like yours and I'm loving it. For speakers I'm using the IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor and JBL LSR305 Massdrop matched pair version. From the looks of your setup above, your ADAM speakers are not getting much attention lately :)
Whoops that was a typo, they are the Emotiva Airmotiv 4S, not ADAM speakers (and you’re right they don’t get a whole lot of love lately, especially when the kids are asleep). The X16 / SA-1 / LCD-X 2021 is just that great of a combo.

frankh

Whoops that was a typo, they are the Emotiva Airmotiv 4S, not ADAM speakers (and you’re right they don’t get a whole lot of love lately, especially when the kids are asleep). The X16 / SA-1 / LCD-X 2021 is just that great of a combo.
Thanks for pointing out about the Emotiva Airmotiv 4S speakers...it sure looks like ADAM speakers at a glance.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I was going to test sending the Gustard XLR output directly to my Emotiva amp and do volume control with Roon. But my sub is out of the loop now. I only have RCA input on the sub...not speaker wires.

My floor standing speakers are Monitor Audio Gold.....and have a good bass.....maybe I'll experiment and see what happens. I'm curious as to eliminating my Marantz and the conversion of the Gustard input to digital and then back to analog.

shwnwllms

Package to update the firmware arrived from ShenzhenAudio (no soldering required). See you on the other side.
6DB475AC-33A5-4E55-A453-B38B25D0753B.jpeg

Top Bottom