• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My name is John and I'm addicted to measurement software

OP
JohnPM

JohnPM

Technical Expert
ARTA is a great package, nothing to regret there.

Ardacer

It is. Rew is better. Arta was made by Ivo Mateljan. He lives in a city next to mine. :)

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Excellent work John! Much obliged.

I have an important request. Please include an easy way to choose 25 dB/decade aspect ratio of the graph. Why? Read Don's Keele comments below:

"1. This aspect ratio is specified in an international standard IEC263 Dated 1982. Actually three are specified: 10, 25, and 50 dB/decade!

Here are images from the standard:
standard.jpg

2. It prevents the manipulation of response data by changing the aspect ratio of a graph. Plotting response data on a compressed aspect ratio of 50 dB/decade or greater always makes the frequency response look better!

In interests of making comparisons of response data very easy, I always prefer to plot data on a 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency scale with a 40 dB vertical range (usually 60 to 100 db SPL) and an aspect ratio of 25 dB/decade! I did this for all my Audio Magazine reviews!"

Example of a graph with 65 dB and second with 25 dB decade.

65 dB decade.png

IEC263.jpg

OP
JohnPM

JohnPM

Technical Expert
The graph limits can be set using the Limits button, but there isn't a way to control the aspect ratio of the graph - that's not straightforward given that the window within which the graph is presented is fully resizeable by the user. It might be something I could apply to graph image captures though, I'll look into that.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The graph limits can be set using the Limits button, but there isn't a way to control the aspect ratio of the graph - that's not straightforward given that the window within which the graph is presented is fully resizeable by the user. It might be something I could apply to graph image captures though, I'll look into that.
Thanks John. Contact me if you need the paper that describes the IEC standard.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I've added an option to the graph capture to apply the IEC263 25 dB/decade aspect ratio, it will be in the next beta release.
Wow, that is fast service!!!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Welcome to the World of John and REW... He is pretty amazing.

audioBliss

Such an amazing contribution to the audio community! I've used REW for several years now and it has helped me tremendously to understand what speaker positions and acoustical treatment I need in my room. Thank you for also supporting Linux!

Top Bottom