• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vertical mouse. Who has found a good one?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Plenty of ridiculous nerve pain in my "mousing arm" made me reconsider the entire layout of a mouse. Come on, all you ergonomic dudes. Why aren't we using vertical mice?

I grabbed a cheap one one (with cool RGB LEDs) from Ali and it has completely fixed the nerve pain. Sure, it's not perfect and needed some lube on the roller wheel to stop it squeaking, but other that that, it's lovely. And I thought 'ergo' mice were utter BS.

Tell me a seriously good one to buy. (I am left handed but use a RH mouse)

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I have 2. But its a serious learning curve to use them for my CAD work as lots of muscle memory to overcome.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000280361894.html

And

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002004200008.html

The first one has better button placements. The second one feels better in my hands but the forward / backward buttons are too close to the thumb so can get kind of clunky when you want to do fast work.

Forgot to add, they do have left handed ergo mouse on Aliexpress. I remember see them before.

Last edited:

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Plenty of ridiculous nerve pain in my "mousing arm" made me reconsider the entire layout of a mouse. Come on, all you ergonomic dudes. Why aren't we using vertical mice?

I used something like (generic noname, not Anker) https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ergonomic-Optical-Vertical-Buttons/dp/B00FPAVUHC/
Cheap but works. They also have wireless variant.
Logitech now has a vertical mouse for a whopping $94
But since then I jumped into the world of gaming mice, and my latest favs r Logitech G403 and Razer DeathAdderV2 - they both on a bigger side, "ergonomic" - they feel much better than regular mice.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a trackball (because I can't keep a clean desk). I use the finger type logitech because it's what I am used to, but I would think the thumb type might be another option with right ergo to help with the nerve issue. Or the logitech vertical. I don't know what features you need, I only use basic mouse functions and scrolling.
https://www.slant.co/ai/logitech-m570-trackball-2010-vs-logitech-mx-vertical-2018

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I use a trackball (because I can't keep a clean desk). I use the finger type logitech because it's what I am used to, but I would think the thumb type might be another option with right ergo to help with the nerve issue. Or the logitech vertical. I don't know what features you need, I only use basic mouse functions and scrolling.

It look pretty decent, but that MX vertical looks good as another option. Thank you. :)

All I know is, since I have got this stupid nerve pain, I realised our mice are totally badly designed. It took me maybe 5 days to get used to vertical mouse and I'm never going back.

Pugsly

I Like this one! Sorry, I'll show myself out :p
1626269743879.png

Music1969

Major Contributor

I grabbed a cheap one one (with cool RGB LEDs) from Ali and it has completely fixed the nerve pain. Sure, it's not perfect and needed some lube on the roller wheel to stop it squeaking, but other that that, it's lovely. And I thought 'ergo' mice were utter BS.

Tell me a seriously good one to buy. (I am left handed but use a RH mouse)

One of the originals, if not original

https://evoluent.com/products/vm4r/

I use it and love it.

nerdstrike

I have used an evoluent too, not because I needed to, but because the MS 4500 mouse I was using erupted slimey gunk all over the desk and it was all that was spare. Even over months I never quite achieved fluency with it, but it was ok. If you need to supinate for comfort it's as good as any I suppose.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I use the Logitech MX Ergo. It's not vertical, but has a tilt plate that lifts it about 20*. You could wedge it to increase the angle but I find 20* is about perfect. I also find the thumb trackball is more ergonomic than a mouse you move around. Finally, using an 87-key keyboard helps, as removing the numpad brings the mouse closer in which is more ergonomic.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
https://www.slant.co/ai/logitech-m570-trackball-2010-vs-logitech-mx-vertical-2018

tbh, i hated trackballs since my early IT days, that is until i tried exactly that logi from your link...been using it at work for the last few years now

tried, but never could get used to the vertical ones tho, muscle memory probably, but they just give me the wrong feeling (like constantly pushing a coffee mug around the work surface)

Zensō

Major Contributor
You might also consider a pen tablet. I use a tablet on my left hand, and a trackpad on my right (I’m left handed). I’m a graphic designer and this setup completely eliminated my chronic wrist pain from mousing.

60B1BB7E-6506-427A-89B5-78030E10018E.jpeg

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I got problems using a mouse due to a "golfer's arm" I tried a joy stick kind of mouse but finally just switched my hand. I am RH and the first week using the left hand was hard but after about 3 weeks I became as good with the left hand as with the right hand, and since them I can use them both without thinking about. Just need to switch the buttons. Very handy if you get a pri5blem with one hand. Of course this does not work well with asymmetric styled housings.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I am left handed tho use mause with right one. Tryed vertical and trackball one's and it totally whosent for me so I went back to ambidextrous regular one. My current rodent is G305 and I am quite satisfied with it. The ankle pain and fatigue I did resolve with ergonomic (with small pillow alike) mause pad and it works when I use it as I tend to use mause from couch without anything. Same story goes for keyboard and I use palm rest only when I intend to type more intensive as I use costume TKL (75%) with some additional keys so it's more like 80%. Currently on ReDragon Vishnu regarding that.
Best regards.

Last edited:

Loathecliff

I bought the Anker wireless one when last in the UK.
A first class product IMHO. A joy to use.
It's now nearly twice the price I paid for it eighteen months ago, and I left mine behind in a country now being shoved down the drain by the eugenicists and their oh-so-important puppets, but ask me (not) if I'm angry :mad:
For the price of a half decent single malt you'll have a rejuvenated lower arm.

Trell

Major Contributor
I've tried a vertical mouse for a very short while and it did not agree with my muscle memory.

Top Bottom