• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ZERO AUDIO Carbo Tenore ZH-DX200-CT Review (IEM)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Japanese ZERO AUDIO Carbo Tenore ZH-DX200-CT In-ear Monitor. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $44 from Amazon including Prime shipping. It has been around for a while and seems to have quite a following from scan of online reviews and forum discussions.

"Carbo" apparently refers to carbon fiber look (or is it real) of the body of the IEM:

ZERO AUDIO ZH-DX200-CT Carbo Tenore IEM headphone.jpg

As you see there is not much strain relief on the wires and what there is, is already split. People complain that the wire is thin but it is actually thicker than the ones on my Panasonic IEMs.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

Fitment on the fixture was a bit challenging at first with one channel having no bass at all. A slight adjustment all of a sudden snapped it into the picture. I used the medium silicone tip for measurements which from experience, fits best on my testing fixture.

Zero Audio Carbo Tenore ZH-DX200-CT Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard and special target for IEMs:

ZERO AUDIO ZH-DX200-CT Frequency Response Measurements IEM headphone.png

Ignoring the kink around 200 Hz which may be a fitment issue, response is remarkably close to target all the way to 3 kHz. Post that energy is too low so likely the headphone will sound dull and lack sparkle.

ZERO AUDIO ZH-DX200-CT relative Frequency Response Measurements IEM headphone.png

Distortion unfortunately is rather high in the 2 to 5 kHz where we actually need to boost the response:

ZERO AUDIO ZH-DX200-CT THD distortion vs Frequency Response Measurements IEM headphone.png

ZERO AUDIO ZH-DX200-CT distortion vs Frequency Response Measurements IEM headphone.png

Group delay is very clean:

ZERO AUDIO ZH-DX200-CT Group delay vs Frequency Response Measurements IEM headphone.png

Impedance is very low:
ZERO AUDIO ZH-DX200-CT Impedance Measurements IEM headphone.png

Surprisingly, you need fair amount of drive for these IEMs, worse than some headphones!

Most sensitive IEM reviewed.png

ZERO AUDIO ZH-DX200-CT Listening Tests and Equalization
I fit these on my ears and I was shocked how poor the sound was. Not only were there no highs as the measurements indicated, there were no lows either! What the heck? After playing around with EQ for a while and getting nowhere, I decided to adjust how they fit in my ears. Bam! The bass was there and the sound was transformed. I had forgotten that the middle sized tips are too small for my ears. They would only have proper response if I held them manually. Switching to large silicone tips was a revelation. This is why we measure folks. When listening tests are wrong, they put you on warning that you maybe evaluating them incorrectly!

The treble had to be fixed though so out came the EQ tool:

ZERO AUDIO ZH-DX200-CT Equalization EQ Parametric IEM.png

Fitting a filter by eye to the hole there is very challenging. I used two filters but likely an automatic system can generate better fitting. Still, just those two filters were enough to give the much needed excitement to these headphones including providing decent spatial effects. I could listen to them for hours if I did not have to stop to take a picture for this review.

Conclusions
The Carbo Tenore IEMs have excellent bass and mid-range response. While they lack high frequency energy, you may be OK with them and as such, use them without EQ. With EQ though, they become my type of headphone/IEM with excellent dynamics and overall response.

Happy to recommend the ZERO AUDIO ZH-DX200-CT Carbo Tenore IEMs especially with equalization.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• ZERO AUDIO ZH-DX200-CT Carbo Tenore Frequency Response.zip
    24.6 KB · Views: 137

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
To import this PEQ profile into 'Equalizer APO', use:
Preamp: -5.4 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 4007 Hz Gain 5.0 dB Q 2.0
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 7900 Hz Gain 5.0 dB Q 2.0
Otherwise, see my PEQ guide.
..................................................................................................................
For those who don't have PEQ-capable app, and want to use GEQs instead:
See my GEQ guide for 10-band, 31-band, and 127-band GEQ profiles.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, I could never get to the bottom of which is the real Harman target. The one I am using is the one in the research paper. The other is what Listen Inc. is using. I can't find any reference to its use in research papers. Strangely it is very close to the normal headphone target.

jannek

Last edited:

Merkurio

More IEM reviews, please! :)

IEM market has been shockingly growing in the last decade, much more than traditional headphones, it would be great to know how the usual suspects and new models behave objectively, especially the new hybrid configurations.

Last edited:

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And we enter the IEM realm :). Please review the Moondrop Starfield, I have seen it's measurements, with foam tips they sound phenomenal, leave my Shure SE535 out in dust.

Last edited:

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Haha the ears don't lie! As the owner of these some background --

These are my 'fall asleep' set of iem's - why? They are so damn small once in my ears I can lay my head in any orientation and the Zero's pretty much disappear. I get an amazing seal with the medium tips so much so they silence the surroundings very well with some low db listening. The reason the cord strain relief is split is they've been teased out of my ears hundreds of times from tossing and turning at night. The cord is the most soft, compliant, non-tangly cord I've ever used.

Thanks @amirm for confirming the frequency response is almost all the way there (albeit lacking a bit in the upper range). I can now add these back to my arsenal with my newly acquired Dan Clark Aeon RT's. However, I should perhaps consider a qudelix 5K to drive them/eq now, although I've felt they've always sounded good with my Hidizs s2 usb-c headphone dongle. I'll give them a go on my THX 789 AAA when they arrive back.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IEM's & HP should be sold with a note about EQ's advantages :rolleyes:

Jarrett

Ah an old community favourite.

Yes, I was quite dumbfounded to see these reviewed on the homepage. I used to make purchases, such as these, at Head-Fi. Of those, the Tenore were the best sounding for the money. I also have the old GR07 and TDK BA200, and think these Tenore complement them for third best ;)

Last edited:

Gabs

Hi, just for info.
After the Carbo, Zero Audio released the Zirco line. I have the Zirco Pezzo and really envoy them.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review. I have a pair of these as well as the Basso's and great to see they perform well in the mid to low frequencies.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fitting a filter by eye to the hole there is very challenging. I used two filters but likely an automatic system can generate better fitting. Still, just those two filters were enough to give the much needed excitement to these headphones including providing decent spatial effects. I could listen to them for hours if I did not have to stop to take a picture for this review.
You could think about just using something like REW - that doesn't mean you have to click the "auto generate" filter button & lose all self respect & perspective - you can instead just add filters manually to see how it effects the measurement. It might mean that you'll more easily/often hit the money shot on the first try. It's very simple, just put your measurement into text file format & then click the Import button in the menu in REW....set your Harman Target in the Preferences......then click the EQ Filter box and Bob's your Uncle you're watching your manually inputted filters accurately effect your measurement, kabammo!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Should users be concerned about the +25 dB around 15-16 kHz?
I don't trust the measurement accuracy that high. Nor can I hear well enough there to verify the same. :) If you can, then apply an EQ with high Q and see if you can hear the effect. I suspect you won't.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You could think about just using something like REW - that doesn't mean you have to click the "auto generate" filter button & lose all self respect & perspective - you can instead just add filters manually to see how it effects the measurement. It might mean that you'll more easily/often hit the money shot on the first try. It's very simple, just put your measurement into text file format & then click the Import button in the menu in REW....set your Harman Target in the Preferences......then click the EQ Filter box and Bob's your Uncle you're watching your manually inputted filters accurately effect your measurement, kabammo!
I tried it once and it was tons of work and I didn't like the results at the end. I will have to give it another try sometime.

Top Bottom