• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinions on Hypex Plate (FusionAMP) Amplifiers?

headshake

So how to control volume when plug in gigital in fa503?
You can use the usb on the fa503 + HFD to control the volume? Setting one amp to master and the other slave lets you use the SPDIF between them to send the audio and commands. Or set the plate amps to your max volume and use your computer's volume control.

Gremlins

Thanlks

I understand i can use volume control from computer, using daphile, but i think this solution is not very safe, imagine i turn on computer and volume is at max ..

Isn't there any smal device from smsl, topping, teac, yamaha and others in which i can enter in usb from computer and out in digital with a volume control?

I was thinking about smsl sd9, but someone confirmed i could not use the rotary knob as volume control, does smsl dp3 or dp5 knob control vokume output in digital?

Ideallt, i wid find a device that can play my files on ly hard disk, control volumr by rotary knob and output in digital so that i can come in digital in the hypex

headshake

You want a streamer then. Volumio is one that I use with usb dac to the raspberry pi. You would need to add a rotary encoder to the raspberry pi though.
https://community.volumio.org/t/gpio-pins-to-control-volume/2063/14

Volumio would let you control the volume with any device that has a browser and that is on the same network. The Spotify app can also take control of the volume across apps. I am sure there are lots of solutions.

If you look at smsl's manuals and site it shows the knob as multi-function. It is not a quick volume knob. I am sure if you ask in the streamer section folks can help you find a commercial solution. At first glance, many are $$$.

Don't forget the plateamp's have a sleep timer and a power-on volume that both reduce the volume to whatever you set. So if you turn the amps off along w/ your pc, the volume will always be low when you start. Or the sleep timer will catch it if you forget.

What is your beef with the remotes? Why not buy a bunch and glue them down? Seems cheaper than everything else.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Seems your safest and most user friendly solution would be to purchase a preamp/streamer with volume control. There are plenty of those available.

Gremlins

Kids play with remote, dogs chew them ... so when i have 1000w , i want and need a rotary volume control .. i don't trust computer volume .. you never know, why, but one day it will be at max volume and you wont see it..

Gremlins

Seems your safest and most user friendly solution would be to purchase a preamp/streamer with volume control. There are plenty of those available.
Yeah why not, but o dont want an expensive " audiophile" gear
What would be options?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yeah why not, but o dont want an expensive " audiophile" gear
What would be options?

Yamaha WXC-50 seems to fit the bill.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kids play with remote, dogs chew them ... so when i have 1000w , i want and need a rotary volume control .. i don't trust computer volume .. you never know, why, but one day it will be at max volume and you wont see it..

have you thought maybe this product is not for you then?

Just get a regular hypex power amp (no 'fusion' or smart features), and go through regular DAC and /or pre-amp options.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand i can use volume control from computer, using daphile, but i think this solution is not very safe, imagine i turn on computer and volume is at max ..
You can set a default volume in the FusionAmp module (e.g. "volume on start" -65dB), which will be used when activating the modules.
If someone accidentally turns on the modules (with the remote control or via universal remote), they will start with an arbitrary low volume.

The same is true in case the automatic wake-up function is used (wake-up by input source).

Conversely, you can set the modules to turn off automatically after a certain time without input signal.

If the remote control is not used, a simple switching back and forth between the different configurations (max three) is no longer possible.

i want and need a rotary volume control ..
Yes, this is something I would like to see from Hypex, instead of the remote control with push buttons offered, another remote or wired control unit with volume knob.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yes, this is something I would like to see from Hypex, instead of the remote control with push buttons offered, another remote or wired control unit with volume knob.

Rotary button behind each speaker wouldn't be an awesome solution for adjusting the volume either, would it?

Why not simply have a preamp/streamer in front of the speakers?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Isn't there any smal device from smsl, topping, teac, yamaha and others in which i can enter in usb from computer and out in digital with a volume control?

I think @Kal Rubinson has a volume control he recommends.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rotary button behind each speaker wouldn't be an awesome solution for adjusting the volume either, would it?
Exactly, that's why I had written: "instead of the remote control with push buttons offered, another remote or wired control unit with volume knob. "
It would be enough for me if the existing remote control simply had a volume knob instead of push buttons.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Exactly, that's why I had written: "instead of the remote control with push buttons offered, another remote or wired control unit with volume knob. "
It would be enough for me if the existing remote control simply had a volume knob instead of push buttons.

Not sure I ever saw a remote with a rotary knob. Why isn't normal buttons (like any other amplifier remote) sufficient?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

A wireless remote with a knob is an interesting concept. There are a number of ways it can be done, but each of them is complicated- none are simple and all of them require change/movement one way or the other and a stored reference position both in the device being controlled and the remote itself.
It doesn't lend itself well to low battery consumption.

headshake

A wireless remote with a knob is an interesting concept. There are a number of ways it can be done, but each of them is complicated- none are simple and all of them require change/movement one way or the other and a stored reference position both in the device being controlled and the remote itself.
It doesn't lend itself well to low battery consumption.
I was thinking an Arduino with a rotary knob that sends the volume up or volume down remote code to the fusion amp. You just need a box for the knob.

BTW this is a sexy knob:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2056

2056-01.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I was thinking an Arduino with a rotary knob that sends the volume up or volume down remote code to the fusion amp. You just need a box for the knob.

BTW this is a sexy knob:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2056

View attachment 140630

You wouldn't need an Arduino if you are merely replacing a pair of up down buttons with a knob that when moved on direction or the other, effectively sends the same up and down remote codes. A mechanical leaf switch on the shaft or a paddle under the knob would do that. And a universal remote.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure I ever saw a remote with a rotary knob. Why isn't normal buttons (like any other amplifier remote) sufficient?
It's nothing vital, I just like a volume knob better - I get a little annoyed with the click, click, click with my finger ;)

You wouldn't need an Arduino if you are merely replacing a pair of up down buttons with a knob that when moved on direction or the other, effectively sends the same up and down remote codes.
Yep, that would do it. The volume knob could be "endlessly" rotatable to the right and left.
Personally, the feel would be more pleasant than the "eternal" pressing of the up and down buttons - luxury problem ;)

kceenav

A "proper" volume control has to (in my opinion) allow to aim for a certain increase/decrease "intuitively". This is easier done with a volume knob - though not every implementation necessarily does it really well.
Also, I personally definitely want to be able to actually see a number indicating the current volume - like "-12 dB" -, because as someone who listens mostly to 'Classical' I always write down for each CD (or program) which loudness I have found to be "optimum" in terms of sounding the most lifelike (big, having presence etc.). With music that oftentimes begins quietly it's annoying to have to re-adjust in the middle of a piece - and all over again on each subsequent listen.

Thus, for a plate-amp like the hypex, there should be an option to put a display in the front of the loudspeaker, showing at least the current volume. Of course, not everyone would like such a solution aesthetically ... So it would be even better to have a display built into the remote itself.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

Gremlins

Thanks all

I must detail

My source is a laptop without windows, only daphile is installed.
All my music, couple of To is stored on a hard disc
Daphile read files and is currently decoded by a dac with xlr output to a power amp.
On the dac i set the volume knob to a certain level ( and sometime adjust it) , but visually i can see i am not at max level when i power up

I use my smartphone with daphile to pilot my library

I a near futur, i will change speakers and amp to a self powered speaker with hypex fa503 ( 1000w)

Hypex is digital, so i wanted to come IN the hypex in digital : in that setup, i believe a small device that can control volume upstream would be a safe way when i power up hypex and laptop to listen music

So i look for a device after my laptop ( usb in ) that can output on spdif that i will send to hypex and that can set max output or not

If i dont have this device, the only way to adjust volule would be by Daphile, which is not convenient and safe

Top Bottom