• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Rich Guys and Reviewers Running Amok in Hi-Fi"

Victor Martell

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Doug is part of the problem he is talking about. He also has good bit of mistrust in measurements. He used to be here but asked me to delete his account when we had an argument over this.

But yes what he says is true.

charleski

Major Contributor
This is because 'high-end' hifi has as much to do with sound quality as high-end hypercars have to do with winning a track race. It's a luxury market and the critical market forces at work have little or nothing to do with the functional capabilities of the goods on sale.

LumbermanSVO

This is because 'high-end' hifi has as much to do with sound quality as high-end hypercars have to do with winning a track race. It's a luxury market and the critical market forces at work have little or nothing to do with the functional capabilities of the goods on sale.

A co-worker is always talking about supercars and my favorite question to ask him is, "Can YOU run a faster lap time in it than a Spec Miata?"

aslan7

The reviewer who wrote this article is very much part of the problem he discusses. I had a battle with him over his advocacy of Exogal, a totally failed product that was supposed to be run via apps. The apps disappeared necessitating the use of a cheap, plastic remote. Then Schroeder wrote a review of the remote recently on Dagogo. Who reviews remotes for an obsolete product that was never intended to have one? None of his reviews have any scientific data which he disparages. I had no idea of his history with this site and recommended that he read ASR in order to learn how to write a review. Needless to say, that didn’t go over well. But sometimes he is worth reading.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
A co-worker is always talking about supercars and my favorite question to ask him is, "Can YOU run a faster lap time in it than a Spec Miata?"

that's true, but at least with a supercar, while he may not be able to use it to it's full potential, there's probably somebody who could. That isn't the case with a lot of high end audio gear...it's like spending $300,000 on a supercar that isn't even capable of doing anything a $30,000 car can't do.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Think about that for a second—something with a high price is preferred over the same thing at a lower price!
This especially true in the "audiophile" community but usually say "more desirable" rather than "preferred".

consumers will be even more likely to choose the more expensive product.
Most consumers are more practical and economical, so no, they don't don't actually choose the more expensive product. Even most audiophiles don't actually buy the most expensive product or even the most expensive product they could afford, but they probably want the higher priced one and they might spend more (perhaps a lot more) than the average rational consumer.

I don't remember what the product was, but many years ago there was a catalog with something super-expensive on the cover. Somebody older and wiser said, "They don't expect to sell any of those but they hope you'll buy something else from the catalog."

Speaking of supercars... I've always sort-of lusted after a Lamborghini or Ferrari and I thought if I was rich I'd buy one. But a few years ago I was watching Fast and Loud where they repaired a totaled F1. During the repair somebody broke the new windshield and they had to order another one for $7800. And I just started thinking how stupid that is...

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Damn, I thought this was going to be a thread about self-funded retirees running amok with expensive testing gear.
:D :D :D

Trell

Major Contributor
In most ways it's great to be an audiophile today as one can get very good transparent gear that does not cost that much, even speakers sort of, as this site shows. I don't miss the 80'ies or 90'ies for that matter.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

A better comparison I think is the watch industry. Sure, there are some luxury watches that have fantastic automatic movements in them arguably offer some of the value of the price tag. But really, what does it offer as a timekeeping piece versus a Casio G-Shock?

Thanks to digital, we've now seen the same thing happen when it comes to DACs and amps.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Rich guys running amock" may be the only demographic still buying a lot of audio gear, and some of them won't tolerate having their beliefs challenged.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
He also has good bit of mistrust in measurements. He used to be here but asked me to delete his account when we had an argument over this.

That's too bad. I always liked Doug's speaker reviews (as subjective reviews go). I'm surprised he's so skeptical of measurements given SoundStage's relationship with NRC.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of supercars... I've always sort-of lusted after a Lamborghini or Ferrari and I thought if I was rich I'd buy one. But a few years ago I was watching Fast and Loud where they repaired a totaled F1. During the repair somebody broke the new windshield and they had to order another one for $7800. And I just started thinking how stupid that is...
I used to be crazy about the idea of owning exotic sports cars, but I've come to appreciate how much of public roads are speed-bumped, potholed and in general, unkind to low-slung automobiles with big overhanging "beaks". Give me a Suzuki Jimny?

aslan7

A better comparison I think is the watch industry. Sure, there are some luxury watches that have fantastic automatic movements in them arguably offer some of the value of the price tag. But really, what does it offer as a timekeeping piece versus a Casio G-Shock?

Thanks to digital, we've now seen the same thing happen when it comes to DACs and amps.
But watches are jewelry and thus serve for many as status emblems so there is a degree of public ostentation involved. But a beautifully crafted watch is a wonderful remnant of past handmade quality items that are for the most part gone. I don't get as much pleasure using my Casio running watch as I do my Blancpain, and winding the smooth mechanism of a Vacheron Constantin or Patek Philippe is an experience to be savored.

Blaspheme

That's too bad. I always liked Doug's speaker reviews (as subjective reviews go). I'm surprised he's so skeptical of measurements given SoundStage's relationship with NRC.
Me too. At least Doug has good musical taste. I wouldn't assume too much, after all Amir fights with everyone.

aslan7

Anyone who reviews a component and declares that it is "as cute as a button", as Mr. Doug did, isn't a very capable reviewer.

Top Bottom