• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Different Speaker Cable Lengths

Martin Takamine

I appreciate his deadpan humor. . . sometimes.
In this video he once again shows an inch makes no difference but tells you otherwise.
Using his math
(152,964,970,608,384,000 inches per second) ÷ 12 = 12,747,080,884,032,000 feet per second
In practical use there is no difference using my 3' cable with my 2.92' cable.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
musst be some wordpressplugin.

This site is based on wordpress? The sysadmin must be a busy man...

Many sites do, like edx for instance.

The js library that handles LaTeX is mathjax. From there, the integration highly depends on the platform. If there is some markdown renderer, usuaklly comes built in. It doesn't seem the case here though. The other option is an online equiation editor like the Wiri's editor (they bought mathtype some time ago), https://www.wiris.com/en/mathtype/, but ins't free.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
This site is based on wordpress? The sysadmin must be a busy man...

Many sites do, like edx for instance.

The js library that handles LaTeX is mathjax. From there, the integration highly depends on the platform. If there is some markdown renderer, usuaklly comes built in. It doesn't seem the case here though. The other option is an online equiation editor like the Wiri's editor (they bought mathtype some time ago), https://www.wiris.com/en/mathtype/, but ins't free.

No this german forum is based on wordpress. Dont know what software is used here. It works for me, thats enough. ;)
But i dont think that for phytagoras and some multiplikation and division you realy need latex to show it in a style people can understand.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No this german forum is based on wordpress. Dont know what software is used here. It works for me, thats enough. ;)
But i dont think that for phytagoras and some multiplikation and division you realy need latex to show it in a style people can understand.

I can't do your math then... ;)

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I didn't watch the video--electrons move too slowly between the Internet and here.

But did he consider velocity factor? Velocity factor is a real effect, because the willingness of electrons to nudge their neighbors into activity does vary by conductor material and dialectric design.

And it actually does matter...

... (wait for it)

...at Megahertz frequencies.

Rick "important for the design of radio antennas and feed lines" Denney

Radio antenna design is actually not related to velocity factor. Its frequency, specifically wavelengths.

escksu

The proplem with ironic satire that is not marked as satire is that some people will take it for real. Not everybody is used to calculate with light speed numbers. Overall at least for me its not good humor.

I dont even know why some pple in this forum takes it for real. Anyone with some physics knowledge will immediately know the concept is wrong.

No doubt he is correct to say that length of cables does not matter, but it is not due to electric field propagation speed in a wire. It is actually due to the way electrons travel through a conductor.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Radio antenna design is actually not related to velocity factor. Its frequency, specifically wavelengths.

Design a wire antenna where the feed line is part of the tuning for resonance on multiple bands, and get back to me on that.

Rick “example: G5RV” Denney

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OCD and audiophila can make for interesting views....

escksu

Design a wire antenna where the feed line is part of the tuning for resonance on multiple bands, and get back to me on that.

Rick “example: G5RV” Denney

Do not mistaken the antenna tuner module for antenna itself.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do not mistaken the antenna tuner module for antenna itself.
Sigh. The feedline on a G5RV is both a tuning element and a radiating element. There are lots more effects with the radiating elements even on a plain dipole than just the wavelength in free space, too.

Rick "who has trimmed more than a few dipoles significantly shorter than half wavelengths to find peak resonance" Denney

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont even know why some pple in this forum takes it for real. Anyone with some physics knowledge will immediately know the concept is wrong.

No doubt he is correct to say that length of cables does not matter, but it is not due to electric field propagation speed in a wire. It is actually due to the way electrons travel through a conductor.

I fell in the trap and I have a physics degree. I guess I've seen all kinds of people defending such fantasies that is not that easy to pick up what is humor and what is not. Or maybe it's just me. :rolleyes:

Regarding the electrons movement thing, what do you mean precisely?

Geoffkait

Free electrons in an audio conductor move at the rate of about 1 meter per hour. since the current is alternating, the net speed of electrons is actually zero. Electrons are not the charge, they are the charge carriers. The current may or may not be the signal, we’re still trying to figure that one out. If the signal in a conductor travels at lightspeed that probably means the signal is an EM wave composed of photons. Just a guess.

Last edited:

escksu

Free electrons in an audio conductor move at the rate of about 1 meter per hour. since the current is alternating, the net speed of electrons is actually zero. Electrons are not the charge, they are the charge carriers. The current may or may not be the signal, we’re still trying to figure that one out. If the signal in a conductor travels at lightspeed that probably means the signal is an EM wave composed of photons. Just a guess.

You are confused....

Signals is basically voltage. How we know that is a signal or not is by detecting change in voltage. This voltage change is caused by the electric fields generated by electrons. This is how your computer sent/receive signals. This is affected by velocity factor or speed of propagation. This is why trace lengths are very important in computers because different lengths will signal propagation time.

Btw, EM field generated by a charge is NOT the same as EM wave (photons). EM field are one of the 4 fundamental forces of nature (lets ignore GUT/TOE here), EM wave is your photon. Both are different things.

Current are the electrons itself. This is what powers everything you see today. The article is correct by showing EM field speed in a wire. However, what actually powers your speakers are the electrons moving in the wire. Electron moving speed does NOT affect you speakers. As I have explained previously, your wire is not a hollow tube. ITs filled with electrons. When the amp generates the voltage/current, the electrons in your speaker wire moves in unison. Thats why it appears instant.

This is also why different speaker cable lengths have no effect on speakers. IF your cable becomes too long, it will be issues like noise, resistance etc. instead.

Last edited:

Geoffkait

Free Electrons are charge carriers. Current is charge per unit time. So electrons cannot be current. What moves the speakers’ drivers is the induced magnetic field produced by alternating current Interacting with the voice coil.

escksu

Free Electrons are charge carriers. Current is charge per unit time. So electrons cannot be current. What moves the speakers’ drivers is the induced magnetic field produced by alternating current Interacting with the voice coil.

Electrons are fundamental particles. Electron is an elementary charge particle. Current is simply flow of electrons (defined in coloumbs) per unit time. You need to know what is the definition of charge (coloumb). What is 1 coloumb, then you will understand.

Do not confuse between a proton and an electron. Proton is NOT a fundamental particle.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
And i dont understand why we should talk about the fundamentality of a particle when we just talk about the charge of it? I mean its ok when they talk at cern about it. But it makes absolutly no sense to me when we talk about speaker cables??

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Isn't there an artcile here at ASR explaining what electricity is? That would save a lot of time.

Dont know if it would help. You know its allways the same problem. People that like to talk about quantum effects when it comes to speaker cables. Usually did never read about ohms law. And think cos phi has somthing to do with birthday cakes. At least thats my impression. So iam really not convinced that this would help.

Top Bottom