• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Humbling experience

Veri

Master Contributor
So I was working and listening to music on my PecanPi > Singxer SA-1 set-up all through the day. Somewhere after lunch, I had a problem with my mic and unplugged everything and continued this zoom/teams call I was in with the on-board I/O. Later through the day I kept thinking this Singxer SA-1 amp sounds so clear and with such notable 'heft' / lovely bass etc, your typical 'happy audiophile' nonsense. All listening was with my Audeze Sine planar headphone.

By the end of the day I realised I had continued listening on my Mid-2015 Macbook Pro on-board headphone out rather than my audiophile 'stack'. Everything I appreciated about the sound was just the laptop out, the Singxer+DAC stack realistically doesn't sound any different. All positives I thought I heard were one hundred percent imagined.

Anyway. I sent back the Singxer SA-1. It's a great toy but after all this I can't for the life of me justify owning it. So I'm back to my L30 + DAC stack which still probably doesn't do anything super appreciable compared to proper dongles/standard outputs. But at least I 100% realize that now!

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Well, to your credit, the Macbook Pro is a nice laptop. I've listened a couple of times this way because I had no choice and was pleasently surprised. In my experience the dac conversion sounds pretty clean and only the amplification with certain headphones can be a bottleneck. Still pretty good. Good to stay honest. Thanks for sharing!

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
It's a common refrain amongst many of us...the sobering realization that much of our audiophile obsession is a huge house of cards built on a foundation of cognitive lies. But there is a certain liberating relief in making peace with that reality.

Top Bottom