• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can’t choose an XLR cable

OP
J

Jon.kin96

I will be happy to send you ~4 pairs of the Solaris cable in shorter lengths and you can add more as needed. I didn't see the foil, which sometimes is tricky to see (unless you are making it yourself), but the vendor claims it's there:

High purity UPOFC copper conductors for signal transfer integrity
Twisted pair construction for greater noise rejection
100% Copper foil + a 95% braid shielding for superior added noise isolation
Teflon™ dielectric insulator for reduced capacitance, sonic accuracy and maximum detail
3-Pin XLR Balanced connector ensures maximum contact and signal transfer
Woven braided outer jacketing material for flexibility, easy pull and longer life.

Either way, there was no noise with these cables.

what size conductors do these have? I need 11 cables total.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

@DimitryZ is offering you some free cables. Just take them and be thankful.

Look at the photo- they appear to be individually shielded and of good quality.

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I thought the link to the eBay ad was to buy them. Haha
No, I just have a surplus. If interested, I will gather them up. They aren't large guage, but definitely OK for ~5V use :)

But I totally get it if you want all of the cables to be the same. No worries either way.

Last edited:

Daverz

Major Contributor
I just got these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JV7WTZ2

2 Units - 6 Foot - Canare L-4E6S, Star Quad Balanced Male to Female Microphone Cables with Amphenol AX3M & AX3F Silver XLR Connectors - Custom Made by WORLDS BEST CABLES

I like the connectors, particularly the release button or whatever you call it on the female ends. I have used Bluejeans with the 1800F and Neutrik connectors before, and some Monoprice XLR cables that I didn't like (too tight fit).

Last edited:
OP
J

Jon.kin96

No, I just have a surplus. If interested, I will gather them up. They aren't large guage, but definitely OK for ~5V use :)

But I totally get it if you want all of the cables to be the same. No worries either way.

sending you a DM now. Sorry I totally misunderstood that. Haha.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For line level use over XLR you don't need or benefit from large conductors. Many XLR's are 22 or 24 gauge which is fine. Some are 16 gauge which actually isn't good because they are kind of stiff rather than being supple. Some of these cables people are suggesting are good because they are very, very supple and bend easily without kinking the cable. But yeah, DimitryZ is being quite the guy to offer sending them to you. Just gracefully accept.

OP
J

Jon.kin96

For line level use over XLR you don't need or benefit from large conductors. Many XLR's are 22 or 24 gauge which is fine. Some are 16 gauge which actually isn't good because they are kind of stiff rather than being supple. Some of these cables people are suggesting are good because they are very, very supple and bend easily without kinking the cable. But yeah, DimitryZ is being quite the guy to offer sending them to you. Just gracefully accept.

like I said, I completely misunderstood his response; wasn’t trying to be a dick

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some applications use XLRs for speaker power level connections. That is the time heavy wire might be better in a domestic application. Supple is good for line level, especially in a short run where you need to twist 170 degrees to line it up or whatever.

JeffGB

I went to the local music store and bought their typical pro cables that they use for live performances. I figure they use Neutrik connectors and good wire, stand up to pro use, what else is there? They work perfectly, were relatively inexpensive, and are built to take abuse. I love using them.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some applications use XLRs for speaker power level connections. That is the time heavy wire might be better in a domestic application. Supple is good for line level, especially in a short run where you need to twist 170 degrees to line it up or whatever.
I remember that time, where PA speakers were plugged using XLR or even TS 1/4" Jack.

But then came the Speakon connector.

For speakers, one should only use speakon for any professional purpose.
At home, go for bare wire, banana, forks or speakon...

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just got these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JV7WTZ2

2 Units - 6 Foot - Canare L-4E6S, Star Quad Balanced Male to Female Microphone Cables with Amphenol AX3M & AX3F Silver XLR Connectors - Custom Made by WORLDS BEST CABLES

I like the connectors, particularly the release button or whatever you call it on the female ends. I have used Bluejeans with the 1800F and Neutrik connectors before, and some Monoprice XLR cables that I didn't like (too tight fit).
I am missing something. Why star quad? Over forty years ago we used Star Carrier Quad cable. The construction of the cable reduced cross-talk between the 2 pairs. External interference was reduced but, improved cross-talk was the prime reason the cable existed. When I did a wiki search I ended up at this link Cable Comparison The clear winner was cat5 cable. The blue pair came out on top due to its tighter twist.

I purchased 100ft of AudioBlast HQ-4 cable for $42 from Amazon and made my own low noise EMI/RFI cables using Neutrik XX-EMC XLR Connectors…the sound is extremely transparent

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I picked some el cheapo Talent cables from Parts Express, they work just fine…
Honestly, I've used some no-name from Amazon, 3 to a bag. Work fine, although my setup is not in a high-EMI environment..

Top Bottom