• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

US News: 2017's Top 10 States

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I don't live in AZ, but it gets plenty hot

118 last week. It will be down to 108 tomorrow. And unlike most places, it doesn't cool off much at night- this time of year, high 80s, by next month 100 as the low.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In shocked Tennessee is 29th. We rank very low in many metrics.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I think it's Canada again. Best bagels I've ever had were in Montreal; (I lived there for over 20 years as a young guy). Toronto has or recently had a couple of very good bagel bakeries too.

See ... Montreal-style bagels
I can absolutely believe it for Montreal. Large Ashkenazi community, major food center.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's Canada again. Best bagels I've ever had were in Montreal; (I lived there for over 20 years as a young guy). Toronto has or recently had a couple of very good bagel bakeries too.

See ... Montreal-style bagels
Montreal has a significant Jewish community. Leonard Cohen grew up there and maintained contact throughout his life.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
During the summer, our electric bills are $500+ per month.

This is why I never unpacked my tube gear!
Yowsers! Blacksburg is at 2,000 feet, pretty low humidity, and doesn't usually get all that hot for very long. We designed our house to have good cross ventilation and it has excellent insulation. It's a two story house and we manage the windows to help as well. We installed solar panels during a local program a few years ago. Our monthly electric bill is around $45. Oh, and as we're on a well we have to use electricity to pump our water. I can't imagine those kind of utility bills!

Reactions: DDF

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can absolutely believe it for Montreal. Large Ashkenazi community, major food center.
Yes, totally correct, although the earliest Jewish immigrants there in the 19th century were Sephardic. Jewish people comprised a surprisingly high percentage of the English-speaking, ("Anglophone"), segment of the Montreal population. I'm not Jewish myself but, for example, Jews comprised at least 35% of the students of my faculty at university in Montreal.

I mentioned that it was possible to find a few good bagel bakeries in Toronto. Toronto too has a very large Jewish community, but the good bagels in T.O. were introduced specifically by Jewish ex-pats from Montreal. :)

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO, James Beard awards are much more reliable here in the US.

That hasn't been my experience, but I'll look at restaurants/chefs with a JBA if the Michelin 2's and 3's are booked out (or if it's a non-Michelin city).

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you think you need to be in a highly dense area of a big city to get great food, then you are not familiar with the benefits of French (or Italian, Chinese?) cuisine or colonialism. I can walk to the back of many corner groceries in new orleans and get great food; same for small towns in south Louisiana.

I'd bet similar things can said for N. Africa, French Polynesia, and Vietnam.

We have a James Beard award eatery here that does a French Regional cuisine menu here once a month - it's good, but I've always wanted a once a month dinner for areas of France outside of metropolitan France, not to mention Italian Regional...

This food focus thing in the US is a very recent addition to Velveta culture.

Top Bottom