• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jurassic Park 4K vs 35mm? Thoughts?

Hey,

I got something for you today. I want to know which version you prefer. If you know me, then you already know which version I like. It's Jurassic Park, 4K vs the 35mm.
At 2 mins 23 you can see ringing on the telephone pole, and because they added edge enhancement to the 4K version it's magnified the ringing. I hear many comments like edge and sharpness aren't used to today, I believe that is wrong.
I personally think that the 4K version looks poor compared to the 35mm, and for me, this is a perfect example of the transfer process getting in the way of the original footage.
It obviously needs color grading, but the color grading on the 4K is too strong also.

What are your thoughts?

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The frame on the right looks like crap. Surely that is not considered an "improvement", is it?

OP
HD MOVIE SOURCE
The frame on the right looks like crap. Surely that is not considered an "improvement", is it?

Yeah, forget the frame height, the color grading for now. The one on the right is the original 35mm, and yes I think it looks worse.
Sure, the 4K on the left, has had all the color grading, and the framing work done, but underneath all that, the 35 mm looks smoother.

I'm really talking about additional sharpness and ringing around hard objects here.

Soundmixer

I don't think it is fair to compare a 35mm print designed for a commercial projector and movie theater against a UHD disc designed for home theater equipment in a home environment. Each is optimized for their respective environment and equipment and is just not compatible based on that.

stalepie2

Major Contributor
I like the open matte 4:3 framing, but boom mikes are visible of course. (How does it compare to the VHS?)

Yasuo

Panoramic seems to be easier on the eyes.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 2018 grade is excessively DNR'ed but we do not know which tone mapping algorithm was used for the clip above, so it is impossible to make a meaningful comparison beyond that. This is a HDR release and so the gamma tracking is highly dependent upon the algorithm employed by the uploader.

My preference happens to be for the 2011 transfer, which I regard as the most aesthetically pleasing and theatrically accurate grade. The shadows would benefit from being pushed down slightly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom