• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation request thread

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Budget: 200 Euro
Form factor: Open back

Use case: A lot of videoconferencing, some music listening and gaming.

Source information: PC/Focusrite Scarlett gen 3

Things that are important to you: I want headphones that deliver clear speech on low volume, are comfortable to wear for long periods of time, fit well one a smaller than average head and are open back with focus on minimum sound pressure on the ears.

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: As neutral as possible but definitely most important is that they are not shrill or sharp.

Anything else you feel might be relevant: I have tinnitus and have found that working from home and using headphones for 6+ hours a day has really aggravated it quite a bit even when listening on low volumes. Now I have the idea that using open back headphones could make it a bit more manageable. So really what I want is the most tinnitus friendly headphones I can find. (I try to use speakers as much as possible, but am forced to wear headphones quite a bit.)
I know you're mentioning open back, but it seems like quite a lot of open backed headphones can be quite peaky in the treble which might not be good for your tinnitus, and I don't know if you're gonna be EQ'ing your headphones or not.....so in light of that I'm gonna recommend you the closed back AKG K371 which is pretty much spot on the Harman Curve (therefore "neutral") and inoffensive with no treble peaks so is listenable & good without EQ for most people, here's the frequency response from Oratory:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ftqm1c13xjcqgv/AKG K371.pdf?dl=0
and here's Amir's review of the K371:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../akg-k371-review-closed-back-headphone.19657/

As another option there's the NAD HP50 which you could buy used as they no longer make it, I own this closed back headphone and it's the least offensive smoothest headphone I own. It's not bad without EQ, but better with EQ.
Oratory's frequency response of the HP50:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjbp2dau2o3m680/NAD Viso HP50.pdf?dl=0
Amir's review of the HP50 (Amir's measured frequency response is a bit weird in places, I don't believe the truth lies in his measured frequency response re this particular headphone, go off Oratory's frequency response above more):
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/nad-viso-hp50-review-headphone.19121/

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... what would make you prefer the Clear MG to the HD800s ? Also, what is your amp / DAC+amp ?

I have the original Clear and don't have experience with the MG version, but the charts and reviews I have seen indicate the MG is very similar. I would get the MG over another original because it is newer and I like the honeycomb and and the new cup that is shaped like a driver, and I imagine the high Mg content alloy with polymer coating is probably very slightly better, plus the brown pads won't stain as easily.

I like Clear better than HD800s because it has more metal and a nicer build, has better Harman-esque frequency response without EQ, you can drive it with anything including a phone or laptop, it comes with a nice case and a 4 pin XLR cable, and is easier to DIY cables because of the better connector choice.

HD800s has more pronounced spatial effects, but Clear still has excellent spatial effects. HD800s is a little exaggerated here, and many people will prefer it, but I would probably give them a tie.

HD800s disappears on my head and has the edge on comfort, but the Clear is still super comfortable for me and I wouldn't pick HD800s on this point. HD800s also can handle tremendous power and can pump out very loud bass with some EQ, but that is not my use case, so it is unimportant to me.

I have Schiit Heresy, Hel, and Magnius, a couple tube headphone amps, and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Also, a Samsung Galaxy S9, which is fine for me with Focal headphones when I am not home. I mostly use the Focusrite because it lives at my work desk, and the Magnius because it is nearly perfect to me.

Jubijub

I have the original Clear and don't have experience with the MG version, but the charts and reviews I have seen indicate the MG is very similar. I would get the MG over another original because it is newer and I like the honeycomb and and the new cup that is shaped like a driver, and I imagine the high Mg content alloy with polymer coating is probably very slightly better, plus the brown pads won't stain as easily.

I like Clear better than HD800s because it has more metal and a nicer build, has better Harman-esque frequency response without EQ, you can drive it with anything including a phone or laptop, it comes with a nice case and a 4 pin XLR cable, and is easier to DIY cables because of the better connector choice.

HD800s has more pronounced spatial effects, but Clear still has excellent spatial effects. HD800s is a little exaggerated here, and many people will prefer it, but I would probably give them a tie.

HD800s disappears on my head and has the edge on comfort, but the Clear is still super comfortable for me and I wouldn't pick HD800s on this point. HD800s also can handle tremendous power and can pump out very loud bass with some EQ, but that is not my use case, so it is unimportant to me.

I have Schiit Heresy, Hel, and Magnius, a couple tube headphone amps, and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Also, a Samsung Galaxy S9, which is fine for me with Focal headphones when I am not home. I mostly use the Focusrite because it lives at my work desk, and the Magnius because it is nearly perfect to me.
Thanks a lot !

Chrisr

I know you're mentioning open back, but it seems like quite a lot of open backed headphones can be quite peaky in the treble which might not be good for your tinnitus, and I don't know if you're gonna be EQ'ing your headphones or not.....so in light of that I'm gonna recommend you the closed back AKG K371 which is pretty much spot on the Harman Curve (therefore "neutral") and inoffensive with no treble peaks so is listenable & good without EQ for most people, here's the frequency response from Oratory:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ftqm1c13xjcqgv/AKG K371.pdf?dl=0
and here's Amir's review of the K371:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../akg-k371-review-closed-back-headphone.19657/

As another option there's the NAD HP50 which you could buy used as they no longer make it, I own this closed back headphone and it's the least offensive smoothest headphone I own. It's not bad without EQ, but better with EQ.
Oratory's frequency response of the HP50:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjbp2dau2o3m680/NAD Viso HP50.pdf?dl=0
Amir's review of the HP50 (Amir's measured frequency response is a bit weird in places, I don't believe the truth lies in his measured frequency response re this particular headphone, go off Oratory's frequency response above more):
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/nad-viso-hp50-review-headphone.19121/

Thanks a bunch for the tips :)

I was thinking open back due to some people reporting that closed back somehow would add more pressure to the ears and open being somewhat more tinnitus friendly. But the AKG seem really nice, think I will have to try them out.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks a bunch for the tips :)

I was thinking open back due to some people reporting that closed back somehow would add more pressure to the ears and open being somewhat more tinnitus friendly. But the AKG seem really nice, think I will have to try them out.
I think the volume you play them at would be the biggest factor for tinnitus. Yeah, if you can try them out and then send them back at no loss then you have nothing to lose re trying them, I hope they work for you, write back here to let us know how you get on. :)

rogash

Hey there, after lurking around a bit i couldn't really come to a definitive pick, so i'd love a second opinion.

Netherlands

Budget: (in local currency and maybe USD)
500€ (600$)

Form factor: (e.g. over ear, on ear, IEM, open back etc.)
Strong preference for over ear, i find those most comfortable.
Am used to having a mic built in or on. (am open to change that)
Open/closed back both seem fine to me.

Use case: (e.g. casual listening while at work, critical listening etc.)
Casual listening, critical listening, conferencing and multiplayer gaming sessions. All PC. (not really the special FPS location sound stuff)
If it's a good idea to have different ones, or a dedicated mic instead of headset, I'll consider that.
Am happy with my Sennheiser momentum IED for traveling

Source information: (your amp/lack of amp if you feel it's relevant)
I got a loxjie D20 for very cheap from an acquaintance (before i found this place haha). I can hear a bunch of noise at some lower frequencies, so that one should either be ditched or changed i feel.

Things that are important to you: (e.g. comfort, portability, durability etc.)
Definitely comfort. Some days it will need to be worn 10-12 hours.
Durability is less crucial but a solid pro.

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked:
In general i prefer anything that's bassy or punchy, but i wouldn't really call myself a basshead.

Currently have a Sennheiser G4me one, which is worn out and may have been dropped on the floor a few too many times over the years.
I have a slight feeling of Sennheiser loyalty, as i got that one for free after my father sent a (friendly) mail about my PC350 breaking mere weeks after warranty expired.

My lurking has made me interested in these ones so far

Bose QC35 - can do everything? but maybe not the best for critical listening? being able to wander around with bluetooth would be a great plus to have
Sennheiser HD 650 - no mic, and im not sure about importance of dac/amp. also a bit expensive, might not fit in the budget with amp+decent mic
AKG K371 - pretty much has my signature i believe. seems like the best choice if i go the separate mic route.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share their thoughts and recommendations!

SparkyBoy

$500

Over ear, closed back

casual listening

Amp: ifi Zen CAN

comfort

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked:
Flat, I currently have the Hifiman HE-560 v4 headphones which I enjoy but want something more immersive.

Anything else you feel might be relevant: would prefer balanced headphones. Balanced cable isn't included in the budget.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

$500

Over ear, closed back

casual listening

comfort

Flat, I currently have the Hifiman HE-560 v4 headphones which I enjoy but want something more immersive.

Anything else you feel might be relevant: would prefer balanced headphones. Balanced cable isn't included in the budget.
I might check out DCA Aeon RT at that price point... assuming 'flat' means matching the preference curve.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

$500

Over ear, closed back

casual listening

comfort

I might check out DCA Aeon RT at that price point... assuming 'flat' means matching the preference curve.
And you might want to use the Oratory1990 EQ for that headphone too, as it doesn't track the Harman Curve that well, but is a nice response to easily EQ to the Harman Curve. It's also a top notch headphone in terms of it's potential which comes to the fore when EQ'd. I'm going off Amir's review of this headphone re the listening impressions and the excellent distortion measurements, and I looked at Oratory's frequency response for my frequency response comments & ease of EQ comments. I'd recommend that headphone too, I agree with Helicopter there.

SparkyBoy

After reading/watching many reviews, definitely seems like it fits my needs perfectly. Was going to bypass it due to the $200 balanced cable but I saw Hart Audio sells a cable for $71.

Anyone know of there is any major difference between the Aeon RT and Drop/Aeon Closed X headphones?

Edit: found a comment

"Dan Clark Audio confirmed that the headphones are the same except for the naming. Going forward this product will be exclusive to Drop will only be available through Drop for the foreseeable future."

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After reading/watching many reviews, definitely seems like it fits my needs perfectly. Was going to bypass it due to the $200 balanced cable but I saw Hart Audio sells a cable for $71.

Anyone know of there is any major difference between the Aeon RT and Drop/Aeon Closed X headphones?

Edit: found a comment

"Dan Clark Audio confirmed that the headphones are the same except for the naming. Going forward this product will be exclusive to Drop will only be available through Drop for the foreseeable future."
I'm a bit hesitant to recommend the the Drop Aeon Closed X headphones, because they haven't been reviewed here on ASR and also Oratory has not measured them - so you don't have a suite of measurements & insightful listening impressions to observe nor do you have reliable frequency response measurements nor a ready made EQ for them. There is some information on the Drop website though:
Drop Aeon Closed X.jpg

Drop Aeon Closed X Distortion.jpg

So it does look very EQ'able from the frequency response, and it's possible to do that from that graph if you trace it in VirtuixCAD and import the data into REW and then EQ it yourself using REW - but that's a little complicated for the uninitiated, and we also don't have quite as much confidence in that measurement being an accurate representation because it's not done by a third party like Oratory. The frequency response has some similarities to the Aeon Closed RT as can be seen from the Oratory measurement (https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbs8m0x6qcvnuhv/Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed RT.pdf?dl=0), however there are some significant differences starting from around 1kHz upwards. Distortion measurements (as seen above in the screenshots) are very good, but again the same caveats apply re not done by third party, and it's only at 90dB.

There doesn't seem to be much difference in price between the Drop Aeon Closed and the Dan Clark Aeon Closed RT, so unless you have some very strong reasons for why the Drop version is more preferable from a purchasing point of view then I think it's a safer bet to go with the Aeon Closed RT, mainly because it's been reviewed here on ASR and also Oratory has measurements & EQ for it.

Last edited:

buxtehude

• Budget: $500
  • Open or Closed
  • Casual Listening
  • Source: MacBook Pro (Open to getting an amp+dac)
  • Things that are important to you: Clarity, Clear high, not too much bass.
  • Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked:
    My absolute favorite is the Beyerdynamic T70 250ohm version and I own two of them. But since it will be in storage and I won't have access to them for about a year or more (long story...) Currently, I am looking into getting headphones with a sound signature close to Beyerdynamic T70 250ohm version.
  • Other headphones I've tried
    • DT-770 Pro 250: I've been using this for many years I thought it was great at the time. then I discovered the T70. Never touched it since then.
    • Sennheiser: I never liked any of their 600 series way too dark for my taste.
    • SRH-1540: One of the most dull-sounding headphones I've heard.
    • AKG K702: Right amount of bass and enough sparkle. All the frequencies were there but something missing. Not even close to the greatness of Beyer T70.
    • AKG K371: I didn't like it. Way too much bass and no sparkle at the top
    • AKG K361: Recently I bought it and it's a fun-sounding headphone for sure. I like it and I am going to keep it since I got it so cheaply (used one for 1/2 price). But still, too much bass and I am missing the absolutely beautiful clarity I was getting with Beyerdynamic T70.
  • Type of music I listen to: 99.9% Baroque music like this
Questions...
  • Based on the info above, what would you recommend?
  • I've never tried planar magnetic headphones: I am looking at Hifiman Sundara & Aeon RT. Which one of these would you say is close to the T70 sound signature?
  • I am not much of a bass head and the reason why I love T70 so much is its clarity and the perfect amount of bass for my taste. So if Planar Magnetic headphones' only strength is the deeper bass response, should I stick with dynamic headphones and get another Beyer? or does it offer something else for Baroque music?
Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
  • Budget: $500
  • Open or Closed
  • Casual Listening
  • Source: MacBook Pro (Open to getting an amp+dac)
  • Things that are important to you: Clarity, Clear high, not too much bass.
  • Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked:
    My absolute favorite is the Beyerdynamic T70 250ohm version and I own two of them. But since it will be in storage and I won't have access to them for about a year or more (long story...) Currently, I am looking into getting headphones with a sound signature close to Beyerdynamic T70 250ohm version.
  • Other headphones I've tried
    • DT-770 Pro 250: I've been using this for many years I thought it was great at the time. then I discovered the T70. Never touched it since then.
    • Sennheiser: I never liked any of their 600 series way too dark for my taste.
    • SRH-1540: One of the most dull-sounding headphones I've heard.
    • AKG K702: Right amount of bass and enough sparkle. All the frequencies were there but something missing. Not even close to the greatness of Beyer T70.
    • AKG K371: I didn't like it. Way too much bass and no sparkle at the top
    • AKG K361: Recently I bought it and it's a fun-sounding headphone for sure. I like it and I am going to keep it since I got it so cheaply (used one for 1/2 price). But still, too much bass and I am missing the absolutely beautiful clarity I was getting with Beyerdynamic T70.
  • Type of music I listen to: 99.9% Baroque music like this
Questions...
  • Based on the info above, what would you recommend?
  • I've never tried planar magnetic headphones: I am looking at Hifiman Sundara & Aeon RT. Which one of these would you say is close to the T70 sound signature?
  • I am not much of a bass head and the reason why I love T70 so much is its clarity and the perfect amount of bass for my taste. So if Planar Magnetic headphones' only strength is the deeper bass response, should I stick with dynamic headphones and get another Beyer? or does it offer something else for Baroque music?
Thank you so much!
Your Beyerdynamic T70 (closed back) has this frequency response:
T70.png

That's from Crinacle's headphone graph comparison site: https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/graphtool/?share=Harman_AE_OE_2018_Target,T70

I'm not immediately familiar with other headphones that have that bright sound above 5kHz whilst having extended flat bass down to 20Hz, so I'll advise you to have a look at the above link (Crinacle's) to compare the frequency response to other headphones to find something similar. Most likely probably another Beyerdynamic headphone. The Dan Clarke Aeon RT is gonna be completely wrong for you as it's very dark in comparison to what you see here.

Also have a look through Oratory's graphs to see what he's got that's similar:
https://headphonedatabase.com/oratory/headphones

Maybe someone else can give you some specific headphone models that they know off the top the head broadly match the frequency response shown in my post here. Some of the more expensive planar headphones often have that flat extended bass, but they tend to fall short in frequency between about 1-2kHz'ish.

EDIT: as an alternative you could take any of your existing headphones and then EQ them so they match the T70 frequency response shown in the pic above.

buxtehude

Your Beyerdynamic T70 (closed back) has this frequency response:
View attachment 136934
That's from Crinacle's headphone graph comparison site: https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/graphtool/?share=Harman_AE_OE_2018_Target,T70

I'm not immediately familiar with other headphones that have that bright sound above 5kHz whilst having extended flat bass down to 20Hz, so I'll advise you to have a look at the above link (Crinacle's) to compare the frequency response to other headphones to find something similar. Most likely probably another Beyerdynamic headphone. The Dan Clarke Aeon RT is gonna be completely wrong for you as it's very dark in comparison to what you see here.

Also have a look through Oratory's graphs to see what he's got that's similar:
https://headphonedatabase.com/oratory/headphones

Maybe someone else can give you some specific headphone models that they know off the top the head broadly match the frequency response shown in my post here. Some of the more expensive planar headphones often have that flat extended bass, but they tend to fall short in frequency between about 1-2kHz'ish.

EDIT: as an alternative you could take any of your existing headphones and then EQ them so they match the T70 frequency response shown in the pic above.

Wow, thank you so much!! This is super helpful and I wasn't aware of these resources. Haha, I was so close to ordering RT. You saved me so much time and money already!!! Thanks again and I'll do some more research and come back and report! Thanks again!!! :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, thank you so much!! This is super helpful and I wasn't aware of these resources. Haha, I was so close to ordering RT. You saved me so much time and money already!!! Thanks again and I'll do some more research and come back and report! Thanks again!!! :)
If you like I can EQ one of your headphones to match the T70? What headphones do you have? And are you happy to use something like EqualiserAPO or another EQ program (to apply the EQ I would give you) on your PC or phone or whatever you use for music listening?

buxtehude

If you like I can EQ one of your headphones to match the T70? What headphones do you have? And are you happy to use something like EqualiserAPO or another EQ program (to apply the EQ I would give you) on your PC or phone or whatever you use for music listening?

Really? That will be awesome. Thanks, Robbo99999!!
Currently, with me, I have K361 & failed return of DT 1990 Pro (I was going to return it but now I have to keep it....)
Yes, I am using SoundSource on my Mac.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 1.51.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 1.51.41 PM.png
    146.4 KB · Views: 65

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? That will be awesome. Thanks, Robbo99999!!
Currently, with me, I have K361 & failed return of DT 1990 Pro (I was going to return it but now I have to keep it....)
Yes, I am using SoundSource on my Mac.
I'll do you an parametric EQ to turn one of your headphones into the T70 - do you have a preference for which of those two we match to the T70? Otherwise I'd prefer to EQ your K361 to match because it has a better frequency response to start with (less sharp dips & peaks), and it's also a closed back headphone like your T70, and additionally the pads are likely to hold up better over time/usage on the K361 thereby the frequency response will stay more stable. You happy for me to use the K361?

EDIT: you might need to use a different software EQ program, not sure SoundSource has Parametric EQ

EDIT #2: actually, seems like SoundSource does have parametric EQ:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ows-linux-macos-ios-ipados-and-android.18450/
But check it actually does or that you're happy to use one of the other programs listed at the above link.

Last edited:

buxtehude

I'll do you an parametric EQ to turn one of your headphones into the T70 - do you have a preference for which of those two we match to the T70? Otherwise I'd prefer to EQ your K361 to match because it has a better frequency response to start with (less sharp dips & peaks), and it's also a closed back headphone like your T70, and additionally the pads are likely to hold up better over time/usage on the K361 thereby the frequency response will stay more stable. You happy for me to use the K361?

EDIT: you might need to use a different software EQ program, not sure SoundSource has Parametric EQ

Yes, K361 would be awesome. Thanks!!
Yes, I can load Ozone EQ on SoundSource.
Thanks again!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 2.12.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 2.12.36 PM.png
    899.9 KB · Views: 88

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, K361 would be awesome. Thanks!!
Yes, I can load Ozone EQ on SoundSource.
Thanks again!
Excellent! How many EQ filters have you got access to? As in 10 band, 20 band, unlimited?

Top Bottom