• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
~$200 can get you “good enough” headphones nowadays, even cheaper for IEMs.

~$200 will not get you “good enough” speakers if we are talking without a subwoofer.
Obviously speakers will always cost more, but it is possible by using good practices rooted in science to maximize audio quality so that in the future it becomes even cheaper to get good sound.

this is a 900$ DAC though, why would you use 200$ as some sort of reference?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Holo May DAC claims 145db noise floor
May:
DR.jpg

D90se:
Dynamic-Range-1-1536x576.jpg

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No DAC version from Topping with a polarity switch built in?

Nango

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir, and great work Topping!

Now that Topping has surpassed all other DACs tested at any price, is it time for a speaker amp that does the same?
Stop, this is true just in terms of measurements, as @amirm says, not in terms of reliability or functionalities and features. To me these measurements are another reason to consider RME's ADI-2 DAC which includes a sota headphone amp including premium EQ features. Edit: Does not include CE certification.

Last edited:

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice to see Topping pushing forward but.. the market is already flooded with good, transparent stereo DACs. I would rather see for example a 6 or 8 channel 'E30' or a product challenging MiniDSP.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
I was in the market for a DAC and I was waiting on an Okto to become available, but who knows when that will be. I really liked the idea of a built in streamer....but this is a few hundred bucks less, and I think I can pick up a streamer on the cheap when I ultimately decide to detach this system from my PC. So I just ordered one. Will I hear a difference between it and the Hidizs S9 I'm currently using? Eh, maybe not...but it will allow me to use my S9 with my iPad on the go, as it's intended, so a win in that sense.

Who knows, maybe I'll even try swapping the D90SE into my main rig....

Noob

Thanks Amir, and great work Topping!

This is really impressive performance, and of course it comes with a nice case, and selection of inputs and outputs.

Now that Topping has surpassed all other DACs tested at any price, is it time for a speaker amp that does the same?

It's going to be quite the challenge to beat the Benchmark THX poweramp. So far nothing has really come close to it.

sq225917

Major Contributor
If the jitter is well below audibility, and it is, why does the device matter?

Unless you think phase noise is important, yawn.

Top Bottom