• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A reminder for those excited about all the low noise and performance specs - if you're going here as a feat of engineering signal perfection, please consider matching it to the Benchmark AHB2 amplifier and LA4 line preamp (or HPA4) so that all components have the lowest noise floor ever measured to ensure your speakers are receiving the most SINAD from @amirm 's work!
I'm wondering if this is the case. The 5V output would require the AHB2 to run on middle gain mode, which requires 4V for full output. To use low gain, you need 9.8V for full output. Essentially, you need a pro DAC, which makes sense and why they offer matching DACs. As far as I know, raising gain settings comes at a cost of amplifier performance--and I know it is one not remotely audible, but still interesting for this idea. Nonetheless you wouldn't be able to take advantage of that extra volt in middle gain mode.

That said, I am glad Amir put back the disclaimer at the end. Unfortunately in their race to outdo each other, companies such as Topping and SMSL have earned their reputation for poor quality control.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm wondering if this is the case. The 5V output would require the AHB2 to run on middle gain mode, which requires 4V for full output. To use low gain, you need 9.8V for full output. Essentially, you need a pro DAC, which makes sense and why they offer matching DACs. As far as I know, raising gain settings comes at a cost of amplifier performance--and I know it is one not remotely audible, but still interesting for this idea. Nonetheless you wouldn't be able to take advantage of that extra volt in middle gain mode.

That said, I am glad Amir put back the disclaimer at the end. Unfortunately in their race to outdo each other, companies such as Topping and SMSL have earned their reputation for poor quality control.
Not in my book. Nothing I've bought from Topping has failed.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Please don't use such a tone, as if any consensus was reached; even if the host banning the word clearly isn't up to discussion. Personally, I'd have waited for at least one actual offended Chinese person to ban a word that has an actual descriptive use.
It should at least be somewhere in the (nonexistent) rule pages, if it's that imperative, honestly.

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since these DACs are approaching the limits of AP devices to measure their performance, we are seeing what could almost be called "instrument grade". This is a great accomplishment for the designers and manufacturers. What I would like to see though, is a version that forgoes things like MQA and Bluetooth and instead have a DAC that has Word Clock output that could be connected to a similarly performing ADC with a Word Clock input. @JohnYang1997, could this be done at a similar pricing level or below? Are there any plans for an ADC of similar performance and quality?

jae

Major Contributor
@JohnYang1997 I asked this long ago, but any recent plans to update the DX7 Pro with performance of A90/D90? There is a lack of newer AMP/DAC combo units, latest I've seen is the Yulong DA1 at $2500.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well, SINAD at 0.75V seems to be 112 dB. Not ideal to measure a Purifi amplifier with 29 db gain at 1 or 5 W. I would have expected the pre to improve the situation. I can also build a few attenuators, that will be a lot cheaper.
I recommend just a couple of steps with 2k input impedance for lowest noise.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
@JohnYang1997, excellent job!

I guess it won't really have audible advantage over Gustard x16, am I correct?

The one major thing I don't like about x16 is the loud pop when power off. D90SE has no such issue, correct? Thx!

August

@JohnYang1997 I asked this long ago, but any recent plans to update the DX7 Pro with performance of A90/D90? There is a lack of newer AMP/DAC combo units, latest I've seen is the Yulong DA1 at $2500.

Please look forward to 'EX5' which will be listed next.

jae

Major Contributor
Please look forward to 'EX5' which will be listed next.
Interesting, I missed that announcement. Looks like it is more in line with the "E/L" 30 or 50 design, rather than being a flagship unit

holbob

Sexy Sinad 亲爱的! Just gotta add as many features as the RME dac now and it'll be worth the cost :)

Katji

Major Contributor
Excellent, now give us the Non-MQA one at a reduced price please, I am not paying for that royalty on top @JohnYang1997 :confused:
Reduced worry of MQA support messing up my normal audio files, never mind the price.

Can the DAC/chip be programmed to bypass any MQA stuff? I will remove the MQA logo myself.

Imperialist running dogs of MQA.
1623772593204.png

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Outstanding! Many congratulations, John Yang !

On a more general note: I can't prevent admiring how China is surpassing us, Westerners. You guys have the future ! Go on doing cutting-edge job like this!

Not really sure why you'd say this. We're well past the masturbation/OCD level of SINAD here. Which is fine, but it's like engineering a smoother frying pan when I can already slide an egg off the pan, off the plate, and onto the floor through gravity alone. Great for frying pan fans, but not something with widespread appeal.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Judging by the abundance of good products, I'd say the weakest link in the chain seem to be headphones.
~$200 can get you “good enough” headphones nowadays, even cheaper for IEMs.

~$200 will not get you “good enough” speakers if we are talking without a subwoofer.
Obviously speakers will always cost more, but it is possible by using good practices rooted in science to maximize audio quality so that in the future it becomes even cheaper to get good sound.

Top Bottom