• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA 9038D Review (portable DAC & Amp)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Driving the K712 Pro with the 9038D at 100% will result in:
2.8Vrms (voltage limit of 9038D)
41mA RMS (~90mA RMS is the 9038D's current limit)
105dB SPL

ergo, current is not the problem here.

Edit: the Amp's Zout doesn't affect the AKG's frequency response either, so that's also not a factor.

Last edited:

rlwings

Awesome review! - May I ask a silly question: Will this device output a line-level signal (fixed). I want to use it as a DAC to connect my PC (USB) to my Marantz home amplifier 1/8" to 2-RCA's. Is this possible, or is this unit just meant to drive headphones? Thanks!

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Awesome review! - May I ask a silly question: Will this device output a line-level signal (fixed). I want to use it as a DAC to connect my PC (USB) to my Marantz home amplifier 1/8" to 2-RCA's. Is this possible, or is this unit just meant to drive headphones? Thanks!
The 9038D uses a regular 3.5mm TRS stereo jack and can therefore be plugged into any external Amp.

It will output 2.8Vrms in that configuration.
You can reduce that to 2.0Vrms (or any other value) using the free Tweak9038 Android App.
With it, you can enable a volume limiter which is stored on the 9038D. This limiter stays active regardless of what USB host you use and it will not reset between disconnects.

rlwings

The 9038D uses a regular 3.5mm TRS stereo jack and can therefore be plugged into any external Amp.

It will output 2.8Vrms in that configuration.
You can reduce that to 2.0Vrms (or any other value) using the free Tweak9038 Android App.
With it, you can enable a volume limiter which is stored on the 9038D. This limiter stays active regardless of what USB host you use and it will not reset between disconnects.
Thanks for your response and suggestions! - So what will happen if I use it in it's default configuration. (2.8Vrms)? Will it hurt my amplifier input, or will it just be a bit louder? Can I use it out of the box or do I need to change the voltage to 2.25V for RCA input? Thanks. :)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks for your response and suggestions! - So what will happen if I use it in it's default configuration. (2.8Vrms)? Will it hurt my amplifier input, or will it just be a bit louder? Can I use it out of the box or do I need to change the voltage to 2.25V for RCA input? Thanks. :)
That depends entirely on your Amp.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using 3rd party measurements from ReferenceAudioAnalyzer.

Their measurements are way different from what AKG says for K712 Pro with 96.45 db/V vs. 105 db/V.

Tyll's measurements fairly closely align with AKG's specs

https://www.stereophile.com/images/ifmeasure/AKGK712.pdf

DIYAudio also lists 105db/V for K712 Pro, although not sure if they measured it. We can ask @solderdude.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/akg/k712/

From my own anecdotal experience with the K712 Pro, RAA also seems way off.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Checked... it measured at round 102dB/V (90dB/mW)
I generally look at the bulk level of signal between 100Hz and 1kHz and then compare to my reference (HD650)
So my numbers can differ from those taken at 400Hz, 500Hz or 1kHz. Closest to A weighted noise measurements.

Corrected it, I used the AKG specs which are slightly optimistic.
It is a few dB less voltage efficient as the HD650.

Lewzke

This is a good sounding dongle, but it has it's own flaws. My K501 is renewed with velour pads, new headband etc. Pairs well with the 9038D, clean, transparent, even sound with flat and speedy bass. There is two issue: LTE radio sensitivity and ESD sensitivity. ESD is a problem when you are living in a ESD environment using a grounded PC, it can be solved with some transparent plastic tube mod, covering the metal body. The LTE sensitivity is apperent when using with your phone. It can be solved using high quality double shielded USB cable.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have experienced neither of those issues. Bought a shielded cable prior to purchasing the 9038D but haven't needed it.

rlwings

Wow! - I received my dongle the other day and all I can say is wow! What an elegant clear powerful sound! - Connected from PC to Marantz Model 30 integrated amplifier. Absolutely fantastic spacious detailed real sounding music! - Beats the pants off my home built Asus integrated audio DAC motherboard. And that was suppose to be good. This dongle is sooo much better! And at this price, unbelievable! No need to spend $500+ on a DAC. I covered 2 systems for $200! - Fantastic!

USAudio

How is power consumption with the E1DA 9038D from a mobile device, such as an iPhone XR?
How does it compare to something like the Dragonfly Cobalt with power consumption?

staticV3

Master Contributor
How is power consumption with the E1DA 9038D from a mobile device, such as an iPhone XR?
How does it compare to something like the Dragonfly Cobalt with power consumption?
The 9038D consumes 0.5W playing 44.1/48KHz content.
Unfortunately I don't know about the Cobalt.

rlwings

Ok, so I'm finding the driver\firmware package a bit confusing. So many files contained in there. Is there a more detailed set of instructions somewhere which explains everything. I don't understand this stuff about first order\second order distortion etc. What is it for? What would I listening for. Which to choose? Why? - Seems the instructions assume a lot of prior knowledge. Is there anything to help guide a less informed person as to what settings to choose and why?

Also, is the firmware version contained in a newly purchased unit the current firmware? And second, which driver(s) are required to run on Windows 10\64. Doesn't Windows install the correct driver when you plug it in? Mine seemed to. I want to connect it via USB to run in WASAPI mode. Avoiding all Windows mixers, etc. Thanks for any help guys. :)

staticV3

Master Contributor

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ok, so I'm finding the driver\firmware package a bit confusing. So many files contained in there. Is there a more detailed set of instructions somewhere which explains everything. I don't understand this stuff about first order\second order distortion etc. What is it for? What would I listening for. Which to choose? Why? - Seems the instructions assume a lot of prior knowledge. Is there anything to help guide a less informed person as to what settings to choose and why?

Also, is the firmware version contained in a newly purchased unit the current firmware? And second, which driver(s) are required to run on Windows 10\64. Doesn't Windows install the correct driver when you plug it in? Mine seemed to. I want to connect it via USB to run in WASAPI mode. Avoiding all Windows mixers, etc. Thanks for any help guys. :)
The 9038D and 9038SG3 offer a variety of advanced parameter configuration to the user.

To change these, you have two options:
1. You can use a Windows PC to flash specific firmwares to your DAC. These contain a set of fixed parameters according to the name.
2. If your DAC is using the "Tweak" firmware, then you can use the "Tweak9038" app available in the Google Play Store to change settings. The free app has access to only a few basic options while a $10 in-app purchase unlocks everything.
Unfortunately Apple's restrictions on USB data transfer make it impossible to bring that app to iOS.

Both methods will store your config on the DAC itself. Your settings will remain active no matter what USB host device you use and they will not reset.

For a brief overview on all available settings, please take a look at this post:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...38d-review-portable-dac-amp.21556/post-715271

Top Bottom