• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

I had an ARES II......a Gustard X16..... and a Topping D90 before moving up to the more expensive ($2K) Gustard X26Pro

My personal preferred order was
D90
X16
ARES II

Maybe I just like DS and aren't a fan of R2R.......
FWIW............X16 is definitely the cheapest and IMO offers good "bang for buck"

Anyway......Good Luck

I was thinking the Topping A90 would look decent alongside the Gustard X16.

I'd suggest the D70s while you can still buy one. AKM chips won't last forever.
This is was my first high end choice with A90 and D70s.
I see, the problem is with the AKM fire, less chips and higher prices.
Middle choice is for A30 Pro and D30 Pro.
I do like the idea of a Topping stack. Prefer Topping amp, then a choice for the dac between topping, gustard, and the ares 2.

SubOjectivist

This is was my first high end choice with A90 and D70s.
I see, the problem is with the AKM fire, less chips and higher prices.
Middle choice is for A30 Pro and D30 Pro.
I do like the idea of a Topping stack. Prefer Topping amp, then a choice for the dac between topping, gustard, and the ares 2.
So currently, you only own a pair of headphones, no headphones amp yet, correct?
No sure you already have the HD660s actually.

But tbh, I would not spend a lot for an headphone amp + DAC for headphones like the HD660s.
A setup consisting of Topping L30 + D30 for instance, should have not problem to drive them adequately in term of volume and with a clean signal.

Last edited:
So currently, you only own a pair of headphones, no headphones amp yet, correct?

No audiophile equipment yet.
My choice is starting off with HD660S headphones, A90 amp (confirmed my thoughts after watching unbalanced/balanced video from asr amirm),
and I need a dac probably what from what I listed.

Interesting review, basically said it's the best dac under $1k.
However Darko, only reviews the usual audiophile products - not these Chinese based companies - ie, topping, smsl, gustard etc.

I still think this is one of the best value dacs at it's price range of $750.

Veri

Master Contributor
However Darko, only reviews the usual audiophile products - not these Chinese based companies - ie, topping, smsl, gustard etc.
Brands like Denafrips and holo audio fall under the same 'Asia-based' companies though... being in a more luxury segment does not remove that fact, nor does them costing more and having resellers like Vinshine or Kitsune audio.. :) just saying. Nothing wrong with that.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting review, basically said it's the best dac under $1k.

I still think this is one of the best value dacs at it's price range of $750.

He did review Topping products before.

Brands like Denafrips and holo audio fall under the same 'Chinese based' umbrella though... being in a more luxury segment does not remove that fact, nor does them costing more and having resellers like Vinshine or Kitsune audio.. :)

Yeah I know. I agree.

Veri

Master Contributor
Meaning what exactly?
Point fingers at Amir that he should be more thorough at the Ares II measurements?
Just mimicking Amir's panther thing and having a laugh with it. On the SBAF side (where GoldenSound posts) they are definitely critical about everything ASR but that goes both ways..

buxtehude

Just mimicking Amir's panther thing and having a laugh with it. On the SBAF side (where GoldenSound posts) they are definitely critical about everything ASR but that goes both ways..

Sorry. I had absolutely no idea. I thought it was some kind of nice gesture. Sorry for starting the off-topic post.

Top Bottom