• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rythmik F12se vs KEF KC62

Georgeadv

Hello,
My system consists of hegel h190 and ls50 metas

as my system currently stands and after eq up to 200hz to address some room modes (presumably) my ls50 roll off at 35hz

i would like to add a sub to reach down to 20-25hz

i was considering the rel t9x but it goes down to 28hz -6db therefore i dont think it would offer a lot…

i ended up with kef kc62 and rythmik f12se..

i dont play louder than 75db… very rarely… and my listening room is an open plan living room approximately 25sqm

what would you recommend and why?

many thanks

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
i ended up with kef kc62 and rythmik f12se..
sounds like you've bought both...you probably mean "I narrowed it down to..."

I really wish someone *cough Erin* would measure Kef kc62.
It has 2x6.5" woofers only, so I'm not expecting *ground shaking* performance.
If you just compare it to the recently reviewed SVS 3000 Micro, which has 2x8" woofers, it's capable of playing down to 31hz cleanly, and then drops like a rock (ie. down by 6db at 25hz).
I know marketing people like to talk big *game*, but is anyone expecting 20hz performance out of the Kef KC62's?

Personally, I'd take the Rythmik (which will *likely* give you more performance for a lower cost than Kefs) over the Kef...unless space is an issue, since Kef is smaller by 4x in volume.

OP
G

Georgeadv

sounds like you've bought both...you probably mean "I narrowed it down to..."

I really wish someone *cough Erin* would measure Kef kc62.
It has 2x6.5" woofers only, so I'm not expecting *ground shaking* performance.
If you just compare it to the recently reviewed SVS 3000 Micro, which has 2x8" woofers, it's capable of playing down to 31hz cleanly, and then drops like a rock (ie. down by 6db at 25hz).
I know marketing people like to talk big *game*, but is anyone expecting 20hz performance out of the Kef KC62's?

Personally, I'd take the Rythmik (which will *likely* give you more performance for a lower cost than Kefs) over the Kef...unless space is an issue, since Kef is smaller by 4x in volume.

Yeap sorry for that.. still making up my mind…
People say that it goes deep in lower volumes, even below 2hz
If this is the case, then I would assume it would be very similar to the rythmik when listening at lower volume…

OP
G

Georgeadv

Btw price is very similar so that is not a factor

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might also want to consider an SVS Sb2000 Pro. I have the OG SB 2000 and it digs all the way down to 20 hz and will output 100 db doing it. it blends very well with my LS 50 Metas. Only 15 inches on a side and will cost around half of the Kc 62 which is a small signal transducer at those limits.

Last edited:

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The F12SE is $1150, which honestly seems a bit steep when dual SVS PB-1000 Pro is $1150. If you have the space for dual subs I don't see much reason not to go that route.

OP
G

Georgeadv

Where i live sb 2000 pro is 1400, sb 3000 1700, the kef i can get for 1300 euro, rythmik is 1300 when improrted

space is certainly a factor as i live in an apartment and value minimalism..

if their ability to blend with the mains and go to 20hz at lower volumes is the same i will go with the kef due to size

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where i live sb 2000 pro is 1400, sb 3000 1700, the kef i can get for 1300 euro, rythmik is 1300 when improrted

space is certainly a factor as i live in an apartment and value minimalism..

if their ability to blend with the mains and go to 20hz at lower volumes is the same i will go with the kef due to size
The Kef won't get much louder than 80db at 20 hz and human hearing is much less sensitive at lower volumes which means the Kef won't appear to get very loud at all.

OP
G

Georgeadv

The Kef won't get much louder than 80db at 20 hz and human hearing is much less sensitive at lower volumes which means the Kef won't appear to get very loud at all.
Well, i now have my system in my apartment however I have a garage in another house that could potentially be transformed as a home theatre -listening space and is 7 meters * 5 meters however the ceiling is slopped starts at 2m and goes up to 3.5 approx

in that space the kefs would be compromised correct?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, i now have my system in my apartment however I have a garage in another house that could potentially be transformed as a home theatre -listening space and is 7 meters * 5 meters however the ceiling is slopped starts at 2m and goes up to 3.5 approx

in that space the kefs would be compromised correct?

Based on what I've read, I would think any use case requiring 30 hz or below played at g.t 90 db at 1 meter would be asking too much of that unit . It's a woofer, not a sub.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeap sorry for that.. still making up my mind…
People say that it goes deep in lower volumes, even below 2hz
If this is the case, then I would assume it would be very similar to the rythmik when listening at lower volume…
2hz? eh? even 20hz is questionable for the Kef. If you want small subs for apartment living you may not want a real sub otoh and something like the Kef might suffice.

sfdoddsy

If size isn’t a concern, then definitely the Rythmik.

The KEF can be EQed to get to 20hz, but even at low levels it will be wheezing.

I’ve owned LS0s and normally I would recommend stereo subs crossed over at 150hz or so to avoid stressing the KEFs, but you may be OK if you do play at low levels.

As for the SVS, I replaced mine with a Rythmik. The Rythmik goes lower.

OP
G

Georgeadv

Hmm thanks for all the input!

the issue is if i go stereo i dont think i would be able to accommodate 2 rythmik but I could two kefs…

Bear123

How high do you plan on crossing? The only reason to make the compromise of poor placement(stereo, next to mains), is if you are required to cross higher than 80 Hz.(unless of course, you measure, and such placement actually works well) Since your listening levels are low, I would think an 80 Hz crossover would be fine, allowing proper placement.

If you can fit the F12's, you will get a better sub with lower extension and lower distortion, along with the ability to work in a larger space if needed. If smaller size is more important than better performance, the KEF's check that box. What is the size of the room they will be used in, as determined by walls, not imaginary lines? I ask as this will affect how much room gain to expect. If you get tons of room gain, the KEF's may be adequate. Also, music only, or do you want the subs to be able to handle LFE for movies?

OP
G

Georgeadv

How high do you plan on crossing? The only reason to make the compromise of poor placement(stereo, next to mains), is if you are required to cross higher than 80 Hz. Since your listening levels are low, I would think an 80 Hz crossover would be fine, allowing proper placement.

If you can fit the F12's, you will get a better sub with lower extension and lower distortion, along with the ability to work in a larger space if needed. If smaller size is more important than better performance, the KEF's check that box. What is the size of the room they will be used in, as determined by walls, not imaginary lines? I ask as this will affect how much room gain to expect. If you get tons of room gain, the KEF's may be adequate. Also, music only, or do you want the subs to be able to handle LFE for movies?
I wont do hpf as my amp does not support that. I will be driving the ls50 full range.
My ls50 in room, roll of at 35db! So i plan to lpf the sub at that frequency or maybe little higher..

this is the place i have them in, so not a lot of space to place a big sub…

1623590471990.jpeg

Bear123

Hmm. Personally, I'd:
1)change what I needed to have proper bass management and eq(on subs….you said you eq speakers)
2) put an F12 in the front left corner, rear right corner, measure to get them integrated and ready for eq
3) maybe try the speakers back closer to the wall as I would think you have some bad SBIR with them so far into the room?
4) If you go with KEF for the smaller size, I'd do it the same way…bass management, opposite diagonal corner loaded.
5) Looks like an OLED TV so I'd probably add a third KEF, horizontal, for a center channel. I can't imagine sound stays centered as it should when sitting directly in front of the L or R speaker? Regardless, even when centered, a center channel works better than phantom center IME.

OP
G

Georgeadv

Hmm. Personally, I'd:
1)change what I needed to have proper bass management and eq(on subs….you said you eq speakers)
2) put an F12 in the front left corner, rear right corner, measure to get them integrated and ready for eq
3) maybe try the speakers back closer to the wall as I would think you have some bad SBIR with them so far into the room?
4) If you go with KEF for the smaller size, I'd do it the same way…bass management, opposite diagonal corner loaded.
5) Looks like an OLED TV so I'd probably add a third KEF, horizontal, for a center channel. I can't imagine sound stays centered as it should when sitting directly in front of the L or R speaker? Regardless, even when centered, a center channel works better than phantom center IME.

Thanks for the feedback! I use rew and roon for eq…
I tried them closer to the back wall but there is a lot of gain in the left speaker and ruins completely the center image! To mitigate that i pushed the speakers further into the room and ordered some panels from GIK for the SBIR to be placed on the front wall directly behind the speakers and some for the back wall…

i dont have avr so i cannot add a center channel :p

Top Bottom