• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Favorite Drummers

KR500

Chick Webb
Dave Tough
John Palmer w/ Ronnie Dawson
Lisa Pankratz w/ Ronnie Dawson

Sonny1

If we are talking subjectively, then it's simply because those are not among my favorite drummers. I respect Bonham and agree that he is very influential and talented, but there are other drummers in his era that I prefer over him. And I'm also not that much of a Zeppelin fan. About peart, I recognize him as a huge influence on many drummers that I adore (including Portnoy), but I really don't like Rush and therefore don't know him very well.

Man, I’m a big Bonham fan but you put together an awesome list. All of the guys you mentioned (aside from a couple of the lesser known guys at the end of your list) are among my all-time favorites. Lists of musicians are always a recipe for arguments but I’m a huge fan of most of your list. Great clips as well.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Dave Zan

Here's a topic I rarely see discussed – favorite drummers. Drums are my favorite instrument...

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned Chris Frantz from Tom Tom Club and Talking Heads.
Maybe underappreciated because David Byrne was so conspicuous out front?
But the percussion for T. Heads later stuff was memorable, sure not routine "rock and roll".
And +1 on Joe Russo.

Best wishes
David

3dbinCanada

John Bonham

DChenery

Forum Donor
So, cleaning up some files and noticed I had several copies (stored in various places) of Cream. I then realized that one of the fathers (grandfathers) of rock drumming was not included here. While not his best, still a truly amazing performance by Ginger Baker

ferrellms

Tain Watts
Jack DeJohnette
Buddy Rich
Dave Weckl
John Bonham
All those metal guys listed already!

Fairly conventional list, huh.

Last edited:

Offler

I would mention mostly metal drummers.

Gene Hoglan

Nick Barker:

Darkside, drummer of polish black metal band Mgla:

George Kollias:

Tomas Haake:

Pegas, drummer of czech band Krabathor:

David Diepold
Just because original track he plays was recorded using drum machine.

Flo Mournier of Cryptopsy:

Fregly

I recently dicovered dimsunk on youtube. Great feel groove drummer. This is all you need.

dpturner

Forum Donor
Martin Chambers. I also think it's interesting to hear multi-instrumentalists have a go at it. Paul McCartney. Stevie Wonder.
And let's not forget Karen Carpenter!

Top Bottom