• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp measurements of d3020 v2 (at home)

Offler

I was looking for a scientific reviews of NAD d3020 v2 and some tips regarding its usage with Elacs DBR-62 and PC audio.

Unfortunately there are not many scientific reviews regarding d3020v2, and I did not had experience with audio before, so i looked for and measured as much data possible and here is the result.

About the amplifier:
It consists of modified Class D amplifier Hypex UcD102, which should have lower THD (between 0,005%-0.01%). SNR should be at -98dB.
Internal DAC is Cirrus Logic CS42528 (According to https://www.soundstagesimplifi.com/...d-d3020-v2-bluetooth-integrated-amplifier-dac), which should have -114dB SNR.

And these two components I primarily measured.

1. Software
Since I am not a pro when it comes to audio I used shareware called Audio Tester V3.0.
https://www.audiotester.de

In my usage, it had a lot of bugs, but it allowed me to:
- generate 1KHz sinewave (and others)
- to see FFT graph
- it has oscilloscope
- to perform frequency sweep test
- to measure frequency/distortion ratio

The software allows more tests, but I do not have necessary tools and skills to perform them (I am a software engineer, and I got a lot of help from people who do electrical engineering).

2. Hardware
Soundcards used for measuring:
ALC 1220 onboard of AsRock x399M
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-x399m-taichi/8.html
Creative LiveSB 1140, USB (for verification) on notebook

3. Things I have learned on this forums before performing the actual measuring
My only previous experience with audio quality was by year 2000 when I decided to remaster tapes which contain games for an old 8bit computer on audioCDs. So here are few findings or confirmations
a) I confirmed that Toslink (optical SPDIF) isolates amplifier from noise generated inside PC.
Unfortunately line in, used for the tests might still pick up noise.

b) -0.14dB gain in Equalizer APO prevents to trigger CAudioLimiter and avoids unnecessary distortion, which fixed an issue with "Flat" sound when using Cirrus DAC in the amplifier.

c) How AudioTester works, about its calibration and features.

So now for the results:

FFT Graph
sine01.jpg

All measuring is done over Toslink on -0.14dB gain in WASAPI Shared mode. Windows volume is on 100% on Speaker Out, Digital Out and Line In. Most measurements were done on 44,1KHz 24bits output and input set in Windows, while the software may indicate Float mode.

Amplifier Headphones output was calibrated by AudioTester to absolute maximum volume by 1KHz Sine, before LineIn on ALC1220 gets overwhelmed by the input, so the signal is on its possible maximum. AudioTester in calibration displayed 87% as highest readable value - whatever it means.

As you can see there are harmonics at 2, 3, 4, 5k and higher as its expected and in most cases they hit up to -98dB.

However I do not know how much power was sent to each channel. When the Amp is using headphones output, its power consumption "from the wall" was indicated to 11.6watts, 15,6watst when headphones are no longer plugged in. So my rough guess its 5 watts per channel.

As you can see, the measuring is picking up some noise, about that later.

Frequency sweep
phones05.jpg

For some reason I saved only test at 192KHz 24bit. Its highest value for CS42528, and as you can see the lines are nice flat, mostly within 0.3dB range.

Frequency Distortion
sine04.jpg

Distortion is mostly between -80 to -83dB and thus results are according to specs of 0.005% - 0.01%.
Again without necessary skills and tools, my best estimate of power for the speakers in this scenario is between 5-7 watts per channel as the wattmeter of whole amplifier indicated 11.6-15.6 watts depending if headphone jack was plugged or not. For more details check the link to V1 version of this amplifier.

Noise control
noise05.jpg
Even when there is no signal being sent to the amplifier, there are significant bumps in 80Hz, then at 2, 3, 4, 5 and more KHz even without 1KHz tone.

Unfortunately onboard ALC1220 LineIn picks up a lot of noise from the computer. So as a control I used small netbook and USB soundcard SB Live 1140.
noise01.jpg

Region at 80Hz is now clear, however harmonics above 2KHz are probably just below visible threshold of -110dB. Thats where I had to improvise.

Hearing Noise test
Previously when I measured GPU generated noise, i confirmed that when amp was on maximum volume, the sound could be heard from the speakers.

Instead I sent 2,3 and 4 KHz sinewave at -96, -102, -108, 110 and -114dBs directly to the speakers with amplifier on maximum.

Only 4KHz was slightly audible at -114dB (5cm away from the tweeter), which is interesting, because -114 is SNR of the internal DAC, and Equalizer APO already decreased all volume by 0.14dB. It should not be audible, not measureable.

When I turned off 4KHz sinewave, I could also tell its no longer there, and no other noise is coming out of speaker. I guess that this kind of noise is in fact only in Line-In, but not in amplifier, or its actually so low, its inaudible.

Edit: I did a verification measurement for this. I noted that noise spikes at 2-5K were at roughly -95dB. Then i sent 1KHz tone at -90dB and it wasnt visible on FFT. Then i maxed the amplifier and 1KHz showed up at roughly -63dB, but the 2-5K noise was still at -95dB. That means it wasnt amplified and its source is in LineIn or PC. For the same reason i can ignore spikes in 2nd verification measurement at 200, 400 and 600Hz. Unfortunately, reading 1KHz harmonics is due this unreliable.

Scientific reviews of similar amplifier:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-d-3020-integrated-amplifier-measurements
Review for V1 should provide data I am unable to measure, as the modified UcD102 is used in both V1 and V2.

Conclusion:
1. Measuring of frequency sweep and frequency/distortion seems to show correct values.
2. Unfortunately tools I have available failed me at SNR.
Its much harder for me to tell SNR of this device, because harmonics of 1KHz could be higher due noise which is probably only in Line-In, but not in the amplifier. SNR can be between 90 and 103dB, depending which values I choose to trust. SINAD is probably between 79 to 83.

Last edited:
OP
O

Offler

I wanted to edit first post but nevermind :).
I cleaned as much I could the line-in signal and rerun the measurements.

Noise Spikes on harmonic frequencies reduced a bit, i guess not enough.

noise11.jpg

Then i set 1KHz signal to -10dB, sent it to the amplifier and adjusted the volume:

noise12.jpg

According to what i have read about SNR measurement graph, "Spurious free dynamic range" is 93dB, SNR is 105dB. If using these values and average distortion SINAD = 80,97

Last edited:
OP
O

Offler

So this will be the very last post on topic of NAD d3020 v2.

Apparently the amplifier has a volume sweetspot where distortion is lowest and SNR is highest

How to achieve it?

Non-Scientific method
Because of flimsy volume indicator, the sweetspot is set when 5 dots are fully lit, and 6th is half-way lit. It persists a bit, until 7th dot is fully lit.

Scientific method
1. Use any method of reading FFT graph from the amp.
2. Send 1KHz signal at -1dB.
3. Then increase the volume of the amplifier until you hit this volume level on FFT graph.
At the same time, harmonics at 2KHz and 3KHz should be perfectly at the same level, at around -100dB.

SNR was then at -98dB to -101dB
When I read the harmonic values and ran them through THD calculators, THD (without N) was between 0,0017% and 0.0026% (Or -95dB to -91db).
All the harmonic spikes were roughly at -99 to -102dB. In theory any distortion should be just below audible level.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering audible distortion must be worse than about -70db you’re in good shape. FR is essentially flat as well. I am not confident about your output power estimate, others might suggest a better way to test that.

Crash Alpha

I recently picked up one of these, my first digital amplifier. I noticed when I power it up a fast clicking noise comes from the speakers, as it warms up this click slows down to a click every 1 or 2 seconds and pretty much stays this way. Its only audible if you plant your ear in the speaker. Is this normal behavior of these class D amps?

OP
O

Offler

I recently picked up one of these, my first digital amplifier. I noticed when I power it up a fast clicking noise comes from the speakers, as it warms up this click slows down to a click every 1 or 2 seconds and pretty much stays this way. Its only audible if you plant your ear in the speaker. Is this normal behavior of these class D amps?
No such issue for me.

Speakers may click once when powered on, once when OS initiates soundcard for the first time since boot, but otherwise there is no noise.

Crash Alpha

No such issue for me.

Speakers may click once when powered on, once when OS initiates soundcard for the first time since boot, but otherwise there is no noise.
Thanks for the reply, I guess I should consider sending it back. Its pretty quiet that it isn't noticeable while listening, but if it is a defect, it could get worse with time.

OP
O

Offler

Thanks for the reply, I guess I should consider sending it back. Its pretty quiet that it isn't noticeable while listening, but if it is a defect, it could get worse with time.
Before that try different sources.

I use SPDIF, it can be configured to Bluetooth AptX as well.

Also, yeah, it has quite low wattage, but I was looking for low power solution for small room, near field anyway.

For the amplifier - its NADs custom build based on:

Its actually one of the better ones among Class D.

Last edited:

Crash Alpha

Before that try different sources.

I use SPDIF, it can be configured to Bluetooth AptX as well.

Also, yeah, it has quite low wattage, but I was looking for low power solution for small room, near field anyway.

For the amplifier - its NADs custom build based on:

Its actually one of the better ones among Class D.
The amp still makes this noise with nothing at all connected to it other than the speakers, and on all source inputs. I use it near field also which is why I don't want it to become an issue, being that close I am more able to hear these things. I have read that class d amps can be noisy due to the switching they use, but I wasn't sure if this was meant by that.

Last edited:
OP
O

Offler

The amp still makes this noise with nothing at all connected to it other than the speakers, and on all source inputs. I use it near filed also which is why I don't want it to become an issue, being that close I am more able to hear these things. I have read that class d amps can be noisy due to the switching they use, but I wasn't sure if this was meant by that.
Then its a manufacturing issue as you suggested.

The latter isnt true for at least 10 years.

Top Bottom