• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple lossless official announcement

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal has Sony 360 reality

What is that and why should I care about it?

If it’s some processing that applies only to BT boom boxes, soundbars, and headphones, but not to surround or immersive loudspeaker systems, the answer to the second sub part of that question is: “you shouldn’t.”

Apple just came out this week and you fanboying already,

Perhaps it is fair, accurate, and reasonable to write that I am “fanboying.” However, you’re not reading closely enough to grasp the actual object of fandom: multichannel/immersive music recordings for playback over home audio systems with multichannel or immersive loudspeaker setups. The more available, the better. The more good ones available, better still!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Will I need to get an iPhone?

For what? Apple lossless music? Looks like Android app doesnt support just yet but an upgrade is in the works. You'll need an external DAC to get stuff above 48khz sample rate though.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For what? Apple lossless music? Looks like Android app doesnt support just yet but an upgrade is in the works. You'll need an external DAC to get stuff above 48khz sample rate though.
Yes, for listening to music. I see there's an Apple Music app for my Android phone and a web player I can use on computers. But how do I stream to the stereo in the living room? I have a Topping D50s and an integrated amp.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, for listening to music. I see there's an Apple Music app for my Android phone and a web player I can use on computers. But how do I stream to the stereo in the living room? I have a Topping D50s and an integrated amp.

I'm no apple expert (gave up on itunes a couple of years ago, just looking at the same thing as you now its going lossless) but I think you have been given the best answer already- Apple TV. That, or some other box that support Apples own Airplay streaming solution. But there is no cost effective equivalent to the $40ish (and now defunct) Chromecast Audio for Apple that I am aware of.

Even Apple TV isnt really going to work for you as its not USB or optical out anymore.

So, unless you have a PC or mac that can run iTunes/ Apple Music desktop app on mac and connect to DAC via USB, I think you need to look at one of the other streaming services that integrates better with things like affordable bridges like Raspberry Pi and the like. Unless you want to run a USB out from your android phone to the DAC - but thats very limiting.

cochlea

Forum Donor
Do you mean this set top box? https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-tv/apple-tv-hd/32gb

I have a Topping D50s DAC but I don't think the Apple TV box's Thunderbolt/USB will work with that, or will it?

And I have an integrated amp with analog RCA connectors.
No, I don’t think so. The USB C port is only for service and support. I’m not sure if there is any way at all to hook up an Apple TV to a D50s.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I don’t think so. The USB C port is only for service and support. I’m not sure if there is any way at all to hook up an Apple TV to a D50s.

Not unless you get a gizmo which strips the SPDIF audio signal from the HDMI and sends it to DAC via coax or optical- which is both faffy and depending on the gizmo, of questionable quality.

thefsb

I'm no apple expert (gave up on itunes a couple of years ago, just looking at the same thing as you now its going lossless) but I think you have been given the best answer already- Apple TV. That, or some other box that support Apples own Airplay streaming solution. But there is no cost effective equivalent to the $40ish (and now defunct) Chromecast Audio for Apple that I am aware of.

Even Apple TV isnt really going to work for you as its not USB or optical out anymore.

So, unless you have a PC or mac that can run iTunes/ Apple Music desktop app on mac and connect to DAC via USB, I think you need to look at one of the other streaming services that integrates better with things like affordable bridges like Raspberry Pi and the like. Unless you want to run a USB out from your android phone to the DAC - but thats very limiting.
At present I have an RPi that works with Tidal or Qobuz but Apple has better selection than either of those.

Oh well.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
At present I have an RPi that works with Tidal or Qobuz but Apple has better selection than either of those.

Oh well.

Ive been looking into Amazon music the last week or so. For my tastes definitely better than Qobuz and possibly Tidal. Not sure if Pi compatible but definitely chromecastable from android

Oh and it has a few things apple music doesnt.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can stream Apple Music to an RPi running Ropieee XL via Airplay.

Does Android apple music app do Airplay? Bloody nightmare all this.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Does Android apple music app do Airplay? Bloody nightmare all this.
Ah, no. I assumed iPhone, didn’t read enough of the back discussion. Sorry about that.

These companies do make it very clear they either want us all in or all out.

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
That is definitely not what Atmos is all about.
A few years ago that was exactly its' selling point. And to exploit it, you had to install speakers in the ceiling, or, more commonly, buy speakers with an upwardly angled driver that would bounce sound off your ceiling. And a new Dolby Atmos AVR.

Did they change it so now you don't have to do any of that?

It's definitionally a multichannel system with azimuth and some elevation Information. There is pretty much nothing it can do with two speakers, except to make things worse - certainly, if the master is originally stereo.

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
It's definitionally a multichannel system with azimuth and some elevation Information. There is pretty much nothing it can do with two speakers.

That seems about right. Though Apple headphones that track head movement make the “Spatial Audio” portion of the offering pretty interesting. I was a bit skeptical, but in some instances the ability to move the soundstage out in front is pretty dramatic and almost completely eliminates the in-head feeling of headphones that can be so tiresome. The effect is most pronounced on videos where the tracking fools the brain into believing the sound is coming from the screen.

Top Bottom