• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple lossless official announcement

leonidas

whyfi

I don't really watch this guy, but youtube keeps recommending his videos based on my interests...

"We need to talk about APPLE MUSIC & hi-res audio"
Posted 3 hours ago, by Darko:
o_O :facepalm:
I am a Tidal/Windows/Android user and was following this thread to see if I should make the switch to Apple for hi-fi. Oh boy. Think I'll stay put.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I don't really watch this guy, but youtube keeps recommending his videos based on my interests...

"We need to talk about APPLE MUSIC & hi-res audio"
Posted 3 hours ago, by Darko:
He overlooked the obvious answer. Buy a 6th-8th generation iPad, delete all unnecessary apps, turn off all notifications, plug it into your USB DAC of choice via the CCK, and you have a very nice dedicated streamer with a beautiful touch screen, hi-res capabilities, and auto sample rate switching.

DCDFC94F-350C-4783-8A90-A48CFA00EEC2.jpeg

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
He overlooked the obvious answer. Buy a 6th-8th generation iPad, delete all unnecessary apps, turn off all notifications, plug it into your USB DAC of choice via the CCK, and you have a very nice dedicated streamer with a beautiful touch screen, hi-res capabilities, and auto sample rate switching.

View attachment 134549
That's what I do, except I can send it to 5 DACs. Is there an easy way to control an iPad remotely with another iPad or an older IPhone?

dkinric

View attachment 134549
This is a fine desktop solution, however I hate that I have to run a cable from my couch to the DAC in my living room to use lossless and hi rez Apple Music. I may go with Spotify lossless just for this reason to use Spotify Connect.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Is there an easy way to control an iPad remotely with another iPad or an older IPhone?
This is a fine desktop solution, however I hate that I have to run a cable from my couch to the DAC in my living room to use lossless and hi rez Apple Music. I may go with Spotify lossless just for this reason to use Spotify Connect

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-member-to-start-streaming.23495/#post-789869

(Though might not be exactly what you’re looking for…)

Zensō

Major Contributor
This is a fine desktop solution, however I hate that I have to run a cable from my couch to the DAC in my living room to use lossless and hi rez Apple Music. I may go with Spotify lossless just for this reason to use Spotify Connect.
Assuming your DAC is Airplay enabled, you can send lossless over Airplay up to 24/48. If not, you can add an RPi4 running Ropieee XL as an Airplay receiver for your DAC. Above that, yes you’ll need a cable. Spotify Connect is certainly simpler, and would be my choice if I wasn’t already getting Apple Music as part of a family plan we’re subscribed to.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay here my first impression of the Dolby Atmos. (Over Airplay to my stereo speakers)

There is no mono center, or ‘phantom center’, the sound is just ‘there’ floating infront of you.

The mono bass elements just envelope you, bass is dramatically different it will get sometime getting used to it. It’s like standing infront of a giant horn speaker.

there is a 3rd dimension to the sound, you can feel which instruments are supposed to be ‘in the back’ instead of just left, right and center.

there is a major sense of envelopment, sound is just different and more natural, you need to get used to it before you learn to enjoy it.

Edit: i really recommend listening to soundtracks first to ease on it.

BinkieHuckerback

Okay here my first impression of the Dolby Atmos. (Over Airplay to my stereo speakers)

There is no mono center, or ‘phantom center’, the sound is just ‘there’ floating infront of you.

The mono bass elements just envelope you, bass is dramatically different it will get sometime getting used to it. It’s like standing infront of a giant horn speaker.

there is a 3rd dimension to the sound, you can feel which instruments are supposed to be ‘in the back’ instead of just left, right and center.

there is a major sense of envelopment, sound is just different and more natural, you need to get used to it before you learn to enjoy it.
I'll have a pint of what you're on...

Blaspheme

I can’t believe they made sweet child O’ mine in Dolby Atmos.
Ahh, no prompt, you have to go in to settings and turn it on. That track's a bit raucous for 6 am so let's try Lana. Good, Norman Fucking Rockwell is flagged master and lossless. I download to be sure. Get Info. It's lossless, and the file size is satisfyingly hefty. Press play. Immediately the sense of just-so timing and clarity washes over me. I hear detail I've never heard before. When Lana turns away from the mic to take a quick puff, her timbre shifts, I hear the inhale suck past me. Then the exhale. Languorous, delicious. I thought she gave that up. The tobacco catches my throat. It's hard to suppress the coughing. Leaning forward, I clutch my chest. My wife calls from the other room "you ok babe? by the way that sounds—" wait, I don't have a wife.

Last edited:

hmscott

Edit: i really recommend listening to soundtracks first to ease on it.
I'll have a pint of what you're on...
Apparently there are already Apple devices that support Dolby ATMOS playback - perhaps with an iOS update...

How to hear spatial audio and lossless audio in Apple Music – Apple Support - YouTube

Apple Lossless and Dolby Atmos is on my iPhone and iPad

Last edited:

BinkieHuckerback

Ahh, no prompt, you have to go in to settings and turn it on. That track's a bit raucous for 6 am so let's try Lana. Good, Norman Fucking Rockwell is flagged master and lossless. I download to be sure. Get Info. It's lossless, and the file size is satisfyingly hefty. Press play. Immediately the sense of just-so timing and clarity washes over me. I hear detail I've never heard before. When Lana turns away form the mic to take a quick puff, her timbre shifts, I hear the inhale suck past me. Then the exhale. I thought she gave that up. The tobacco catches my throat. It's hard to suppress the coughing. Leaning forward, I clutch my chest. My wife calls from the other room "you ok babe? by the way that sounds—" wait, I don't have a wife.
You're drinking single malt at six in the morning?!

Top Bottom