• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ex Apple homepod designed launches 'triphonic' speaker

Tks

Major Contributor
Looks like he left behind everything he had learned about design when he left Apple....

Lol look at one of the wires..

fail-png.1774652

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great for a party... until someone puts their drink on top. See the animation on the homepage if your're wondering what I mean Syng | Cell Alpha (syngspace.com)
Maybe that’s not a upward-facing woofer, but a purposefully designed drink ejector / humidifier?

Joking aside, it would be pretty cool if this can actually control its directivity dynamically. I think directivity adjustment is probably one of the biggest areas ripe for innovation in the speaker space, at least for people who want one set of speakers that can sound best for all styles of music. As I’ve written before, I find some kinds of music sounds best on my wide beam speakers, while other sounds best on my medium beam speakers

Tks

Major Contributor
Looks like at least power is routed through the stand. It looks like the lightning connector is an auxiliary connection, so it makes sense to have this accessible for occassional use.
Still no excuse. Could have had it under the bowl unit itself, so when there needs to be an external cable, it could simply fall downward, not that current mess we saw.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For a bunch of audio nerds y'all should probably know the difference between lightning and USB-C;)

Anyway I still think this is one of the only actually interesting speakers I've seen in recent times. Besides, compared with other speakers that claim to control and vary directivity - Lexicon SL-1, B&O Beolabs -- this could be a bargain.

It just needs to, you know, actually work. That's anyone's guess but by this point it's pretty clear to me that the tech companies are just as capable at making a decent speaker as the HiFi ones. Here's hoping this actually delivers something good.

Still no excuse. Could have had it under the bowl unit itself, so when there needs to be an external cable, it could simply fall downward, not that current mess we saw.

This seems to be a weird complaint considering almost every speaker measured on this site is far more clunky about its wires. A typical studio monitor setup has four cables running out of it. On this the power connection is hidden through the stand and runs out of the bottom of the base making it a lot less conspicuous.

Primary use case for this is wireless, USB-C is a bonus. When using a wired connection occasionally, you're probably going to want the jack to be readily accessible, not tucked away inside a screw on stand like the speaker cable. The main reason you'd use the USB-C port permanently is likely for an eARC connection to a TV. In this case, it makes sense to keep the port higher and horizontal rather than unecessarily running through the base or at an awkward downward angle just to run back up again. The jack couldn't have gone under the speaker either because the bottom of the speaker is a woofer as well.

You could also just, you know, turn the speaker around and have the cable on the back like every other wired speaker ever =]

All that being said... this is totally in line with apple design :D
1622617423711.png

1622617480764.png

Last edited:

Blaspheme

Looks kind of harman/kardony (or is that harman/kardonesque?) ;)
View attachment 130445

maybe with a little "soundsphere" thrown in?
Omg I've owned a Harman-Kardon. Didn't think I'd drunk the seppo Kool-Aid. I'll have to check for residual contamination.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Lol look at one of the wires..

fail-png.1774652
Y'know... this triphonic gizmo kind of reminds me of the pedestal ashtrays my maternal grandfather had. He smoked really cheap cigars (King Edwards -- which my father referred to as El Rope-os ;) ). The stench of my grandparents' household is burned into my olfactory memory. :(
This kind of thing -- altough the ones my grandparents had were rather more pedestrian in design.

1623029304121.png

Kalessin

Forum Donor
Y'know... this triphonic gizmo kind of reminds me of the pedestal ashtrays my maternal grandfather had. He smoked really cheap cigars (King Edwards -- which my father referred to as El Rope-os ;) ). The stench of my grandparents' household is burned into my olfactory memory. :(
This kind of thing -- altough the ones my grandparents had were rather more pedestrian in design.

The stench and the pedestal ashtray remind me of my great-uncle Sam. He and his wife had an apartment in a real old blue-collar area, Chelsea MA, and he retired when I was about two years old. He would sit in his armchair and listen to 1950s and 1960s crooners on the radio (especially Sinatra, most especially young Sinatra), and smoke cigars from his box of "specials". These were the box ends, random leftover cigars that his tobacco shop owner friend would put into a box and sell to him on the cheap. The pedestal ashtray was kept scrupulously clean, and I remember the smell like it was yesterday, even though he died in 1981.

If he could see the triphonic speaker that started this thread, he would point at with his cigar and say, "This thing, making noise, I don't get it. What is it, that science fiction you're always reading? Is that stuff going to get you a job?"

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the Aliens do land their spaceships here, we can send this thing to greet them.

Top Bottom