• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Raspberry Pi 4b + RoPieeXL + USB + Toppings D50 = Poor Sound?

I recently setup a Raspberry Pi 4b (in a passive aluminum case) connected to my router via an either net cable and to a Topping D50 via USB. The RPi is powered by the standard $9 RPi wall wart. I’m running RoPieeXL on the RPi (installed via Etcher) so I can check out Roon. I’m a Tidal subscriber. This setup does not sound good - really lacks dynamics and is missing highs. Seems like I’ve gone astray somehow.

Previously, I was using an old 2013 Dell XPS laptop connected via (the same) USB cord to (the same) D50, running Tidal via JRiver wirelessly. This setup sounds pretty good! With the RPi, I was hoping to remove my computer from the stereo and wishing for some sound quality improvement.

Based on other RPi user's positive comments, I feel like I did something wrong with my first (last?) RPi setup. Are my expectations too high? Do I need a better power supply for the RPi? Maybe a Nirvana, or $hanti Dual or Weiliang linear power supply? Maybe reinstall something on the SSD or change a setting in the RPi? Would going with the Allo Boss2 be any better?

Thanks for your thoughts.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
really lacks dynamics and is missing highs.
Well that's weird... It's not easy to accidently alter frequency response or dynamics digitally... Digital "glitches" can cause noise and other defects. Downsampling could reduce the highs but if it is downsampling I wouldn't expect it to be downsampling below "CD quality".

I was hoping to remove my computer from the stereo and wishing for some sound quality improvement.
I wouldn't expect that either.

MBL'er

I know it’s expensive stuff, but did you consider adding a spdif “hat” to your Pi ?

I am considering the same process, i.e. removing my Macbook Pro from the system and replacing with a device to stream from Qobuz and play files from an usb hd. Since it is almost impossible to audition equipment, I probably will make an experiment with a Pi2aes or Pi 3 or 4 with an Allo spdif “hat”.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I recently setup a Raspberry Pi 4b (in a passive aluminum case) connected to my router via an either net cable and to a Topping D50 via USB. The RPi is powered by the standard $9 RPi wall wart. I’m running RoPieeXL on the RPi (installed via Etcher) so I can check out Roon. I’m a Tidal subscriber. This setup does not sound good - really lacks dynamics and is missing highs. Seems like I’ve gone astray somehow.

Previously, I was using an old 2013 Dell XPS laptop connected via (the same) USB cord to (the same) D50, running Tidal via JRiver wirelessly. This setup sounds pretty good! With the RPi, I was hoping to remove my computer from the stereo and wishing for some sound quality improvement.

Based on other RPi user's positive comments, I feel like I did something wrong with my first (last?) RPi setup. Are my expectations too high? Do I need a better power supply for the RPi? Maybe a Nirvana, or $hanti Dual or Weiliang linear power supply? Maybe reinstall something on the SSD or change a setting in the RPi? Would going with the Allo Boss2 be any better?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Are you using dsp with roon?

Marc v E

Major Contributor
First of all I am pretty sure the raspberry pi is not the cause.
With that out of the way the only way you can solve this is checking every part in the chain until you found the cause (the Sherlock Holmes way).

First we can say with pretty much certainty it isn't the Topping dac or the way you connect with it.
You previously used usb and the Raspberry 4 performs flawlessly over usb.
(Unlike the raspberry 3 for which a hat was recommended, to clear this up)

As Roon with a streamer has proved to be excellent the only thing that remains is the source and software configuration.
I would change source and see it gets better. Or check Tidal and Roon settings.
Or play files directly from a usb drive or sd card from the pi.
That way you can eliminate causes and find the culprit.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
First of all I am pretty sure the raspberry pi is not the cause.
With that out of the way the only way you can solve this is checking every part in the chain until you found the cause (the Sherlock Holmes way).

First we can say with pretty much certainty it isn't the Topping dac or the way you connect with it.
You previously used usb and the Raspberry 4 performs flawlessly over usb.
(Unlike the raspberry 3 for which a hat was recommended, to clear this up)

As Roon with a streamer has proved to be excellent the only thing that remains is the source and software configuration.
If DSP on Roon is engaged even without using an eq it has an impact in the sound on my windows laptop.Check the settings or reinstall from scratch.

OP
Old Dog New Ticks
I use the RPi4 with RoPieeeXL and the stock wall wart with a Topping D90 and it's sublime.

Hi jtwrace - Thanks for confirming others have used this setup successfully, and that my product choice should be good - and that buying more stuff will not solve my problem. Now, I just need to improve my implementation.

OP
Old Dog New Ticks
Hi MBL'er, As I was setting up this effort, I did considered the AlloBoss2 (https://allo.com/sparky/boss2.html) which measured well on ASR, but not a SPDIF hat. I have seen other much more expensive SPDIF (non-RPi) setups which were presented as being very good on YouTube, but I have not heard any SPDIF setup in person. The ones I've saw presented on-line looked pretty complicated. I'm not sure why I have not considered a much more affordable (and more simple?) SPDIF hat which they may well provide the same electronic separation from the "noisy network side" from the "clean side" (summarizing a YouTube presentation). Is that "electronic separation" even a real thing?

I've been happy using USB to DAC for about eight years to a more much (too?) expensive Auralic Vega DAC. (Amir measured my Vega at a one of the local PNWAS events.) This time, I was trying more affordable and well measured products. So before I purchase yet more gear, I wanted to give this setup an honest try before shifting. Thanks for asking!

OP
Old Dog New Ticks

With the pieces now confirmed as being good, I will try your good recommendations. I'll start with my Roon settings. I'm new to Roon, so I may have messed something up three. I've been on Tidal for a few years, so I wouldn't think my issue is there - but I'll look there too.

Also, I did not say, but Roon is loaded on to my new desk PC, not my old laptop which has my music files and JRiver, so to test source, I will need to shift some music files over to my desk machine and see what happens. (Setting up the rest of the home NAS system is my next audio project, after I figure this one out.) If I can't fix in my Roon settings, I may also try to reinstall RoPieeXL as my install seemed a little squirrely. Much Thanks!

OP
Old Dog New Ticks
If DSP on Roon is engaged even without using an eq it has an impact in the sound on my windows laptop.Check the settings or reinstall from scratch.

Thank you. I'll give that a try. (Family coming over for the weekend at noon, so I'll be problem solving next week.) Cheers!

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you're going to re-image the RPi with Ropieee, do it without enabling XL. This will still work with Roon and it has the benefit of cutting out additional things that might be causing a problem. If you get stuck, you could always post on the Roon Community Forums. The designer of Ropieee is always quick to help out.

OP
Old Dog New Ticks

Just de-selected DSP from the various Roon places, and all sounds good, similiar to other setup! "La Femme d'Argent" on Moon Safari is back! Bummer if I can 't use DSP. Guess I'll have to work on that next week. Much Thanks!!!

OP
Old Dog New Ticks
If you're going to re-image the RPi with Ropieee, do it without enabling XL. This will still work with Roon and it has the benefit of cutting out additional things that might be causing a problem. If you get stuck, you could always post on the Roon Community Forums. The designer of Ropieee is always quick to help out.

Hi SJ777, Thanks for your suggestion! Using the Roon Community Forum is news to me and sounds like a good/useful resource.

mrbungle

Click on the blue light thingy in Roon next to the Back, Play, Forward button. Make sure it says Signal path lossless and you are not using the system audio. Rpi 4 has no significant USB noise issues, so Allo shouldn’t be necessary unless you want a DAC.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Just de-selected DSP from the various Roon places, and all sounds good, similiar to other setup! "La Femme d'Argent" on Moon Safari is back! Bummer if I can 't use DSP. Guess I'll have to work on that next week. Much Thanks!!!
It is quite audible to me also it just compressed and unnatural. I usually keep it off.

Top Bottom