• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review of DJ equipment?

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

I was wondering, how about doing some measurements of DJ equipment of the famous manufacturers like Denon, Allen&Heath, Pioneer? I believe since those mixers and media players are the source of a signal that will get amplified to intense levels those should be designed to have very low distortion and noise. On the other hand maybe the philosophy that they don't care much about those values since a PA chain has its focus more on other traits like efficiency and weight of the gear.

Since you could order a unit, measure it and send it back (although it's unfair to the retailer) I figured it might be relatively simple to test a few of those things.

What do you think?

Katji

Major Contributor
I think it's just a matter of sending it in for test and understanding that there is quite a queue and it's not always FIFO.

egellings

Major Contributor
Is DJ equipment considered "audiophile grade"? Worth reviewing in that context?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
If apple home pod and klipsh 3 are fair game then so is dj gear. Would be intresting to see how those ubiquitous pioneer digital decks stack up. Since they seem to have mostly replaced technics turntables.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
This is really late in the game, but when the Pioneer CDJ decks were around they were considered, by far, the best.

It would be interesting to try one, play with the pitch controls especially since they were always said to be inferior to those on turntables.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm interested but not enough to buy stuff and send it to Amir that hasn't already been tested (like Crown XLS amps)....but if you have such gear and can send it in....

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I'll bet CD decks would measure like crap. They're designed for drunk people to spill beers on while they ask for a pick.
I really don't think they can be overly bad. A lot of gain is applied to the output.

Obligatory Sasha cigarette pic:
1622772068951.png

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
That's pretty cool. I wonder if you can run it without the synth? Pitch any input with the sliding crossfader.
I don't see why not. The mixer just takes an analog input.

@Mountain Goat

I worked with this kind of kit for years, both analog and digital (my well aged tech-12s, pioneer mixer, denon dual-decks from before CDJs were a glimmer in the digital-dj's eye, and a variety of other similar kit are in their road cases not 20 feet from where I'm sitting).

No DJ (that's mixing/producing live, i.e., might be using a CDJ, at least that I've ever met) cares if the output of the CD player (or turntable for that matter) needs a bit of EQ, is a bit heavy in the highs, etc... the DJ is, in all likelihood messing with the track anyway. That said, it is tremendously important that the audio coming out be clean. Not only is the CD player doing massive processing on the signal (speed correction with/without pitch change, loops, other built in effects), there's a high likelihood that not only is the DJ messing with levels (tone/volume/effects) in ways unusual in normal listening, the gain is cranked to 10, the levels are pinned at +3 DB (because a whole number of reasons), and the whole setup is run off garbage power... If it was truly kicking out a junk signal, after the abuse the signal takes from that point on, it'd sound like an out of tune radio... but it sounds just fine.

My guess would be that a modern Pioneer CDJ would compare against a modern Denon CD player (or other reputable brand). I would however be curious to see analysis of +/- 10% speed correction without pitch correction though... mucho processing must be happening to get that to work (beyond me)...

Also, though I'm out of date, Serato (and similar technologies) were hugely popular after the rise of digital. We still got to feel the record drag under our fingers (I can't help but chuckle at the number of people cringing to that thought), can still drag or nudge the platter, can still do a backspin... but have the full advantages of being able to use a digital source. I'd be very curious to see how this type of hardware/software handles the manipulation of the digital audio data and everything that's involved...

Edit: But I do agree with you, I wouldn't call any of this gear "audiophile gear". It's like comparing a Porsche 911 to a Cat 336. They might have quality in common, but their use cases are still completely different. No way a $1000 audiophile-oriented turntable would survive the same 35-40 years of use my Tech 12s have. Won't sound as good when tested, but will definitely beat that old thing in Grandma's cabinet.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
https://www.vinyloftheday.com/vestax-audiophile-dj-mixer-houou/

1622776090285.png

These features may seem relatively straightforward, but what makes this mixer so expensive and exceptionally high quality is the fact that every component is carefully designed and built from hand. Vestax has shared that the model is “made in Japan to the highest quality manufacturing, technology, and quality-control standards.”

The Phoenix (Hou-ou) retails for $10,000 plus shipping.

JSmith

be interesting to see the performance of the DACs in the classic Pioneer CDJs etc , used in clubs basically everywhere for the last 30 years
That could be very interesting...
I'd cover the costs to ship my Denon 2100F dual-deck from 2000 (I just checked the sticker)... not that it really qualifies as a CDJ, it is an early CD player for the club world...

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
anphex

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That could be very interesting...
I'd cover the costs to ship my Denon 2100F dual-deck from 2000 (I just checked the sticker)... not that it really qualifies as a CDJ, it is an early CD player for the club world...

I have so much stuff I'd love to send to Amir but I am more or less at the other side of the world and shipping prices are quickly exceeding the value of the gear. We're talking about 200 € at least shipping back and forth :(. Even an old Denon MC-6000 that served me well for years.
If anyone of you is US based and would agree to send some of their gear I would chip in for part of the costs.

Top Bottom