• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers > Headphones suggestions? (Vinyl-listening)

lowkey

I've got a 15x15 room. People are telling me I'm better off buying headphones.
My set up is a Technics SL-1200GR and a Yamaha A-S2100. I've been told it got a "Headphone amp with fully discrete configuration" whatever that means, but hopefully it's fairly decent and hopefully I can match those with a great pair of headphones.

I'm thinking the good old Sennheiser HD 650 will do the trick, but I'm open for suggestions anywhere in the $500-$1500 range. I would describe myself as a more casual listener, rather than a more concentrated listener who's actively trying to hear it all, so maybe the more expensive headphones would be wasted on me. I will not use EQ.

Thanks!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most receivers, to save in manufacturing costs, use the same amplifier(s) that drive the speakers, to also drive the headphones.
So it's a little crude and not great for lower impedance (Ohm) headphones.
So headphones that are 250-Ohm or higher are what you want to use for most receivers (or speaker amplifiers)
Yamaha states your receiver comes with a separate amplifier, just for driving headphones, so would work better with low Ohm headphones.
The 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD600/HD650HD6XX headphones would be something that you would be fairly happy with.
But lower Ohm headphones should also work with the Yamaha.
Currently I'm enjoying my Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads.
Check out Head-Fi.

Top Bottom