• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ascend Sierra 2 Speaker Review

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not true. The EX woofer covers much of the midrange as well and is more linear in the midrange than the S2 woofer. I've talked to Dave of Ascend and he says the EX measures more flat and sounds more neutral - the original S2 has a rising response that even he admits.
Thanks for clarifying.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Dave F. just published the Sierra-2EX Klippel NFS Measurements! You can see them at Ascend Acoustics forum:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?6914-Introducing-the-Sierra-2EX!!!&p=65736#post65736

s2ex nfs_CEA2034.jpg

s2ex nfs_eiroom.jpg

s2ex nfs_eref.jpg

s2ex nfs_hcontour.jpg

s2ex nfs_imp.jpg

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mmi

People might want to check the Ascend forums regarding the upcoming Sierra LX designed with the aid of the Klippel NFS. 2 way dome tweeter bookshelf pref score 6.92 without sub and 8.62 with.

bkdc

Forum Donor
Looks really good. Great to see manufacturers posting NFS results themselves. Things are changing :).
Dave purchased the Klippel NFS after the ASR review of the Sierra Luna. Ascend has always been about publishing measurements. It’s just that most smaller companies don’t own a Klippel NFS due to the high cost. It’s nice to see that he’s not the type to let things pass and he had to investigate the issues himself leading to adjustments (a foam insert) at the port to deal with the identified issues. The issue is with the larger makers who have the resources and still don’t publish their data on line forcing us to wait until JA publishes the measurements on Stereophile but JA does not have a Klippel.

What I want to know how how close to the airiness of the RAAL ribbon the new dome tweeter on the Sierra LX can get to. Not having wide vertical dispersion is not necessarily a bad thing if you don’t like reflections. And the vertical listening window of the RAAL is adequate for sitters and standers alike in most situations.

Last edited:

Pogre

I'm using these as my surrounds. I stumbled across a pair on Craigslist for $650 and couldn't pass it up. I was impressed enough to sell off my 5.0 SVS Ultra towers and books to buy the matching Sierra towers and Horizon so I'm all in on the RAAL ribbons now.

RMW_NJ

Dave has launched the Sierra 2 EX v2. Measurements look excellent and can be seen on the product page.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Dave has launched the Sierra 2 EX v2. Measurements look excellent and can be seen on the product page.

and he is also sharing the data which is very nice.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked for spinoramas of the RAAL tower which David posted here:

Bass is not very extended but the DI is very smooth. Great speakers for a modern set up.

aarons915

Forum Donor
I asked for spinoramas of the RAAL tower which David posted here:

Bass is not very extended but the DI is very smooth. Great speakers for a modern set up.

That's really not very good at all except for the directivity, I'm sure he'll make them much better with a new Klippel optimized crossover. The new S2 EX V2 and the LX both measure much better, the LX looks like it could be the speaker to beat under 2k based on the measurements.

Shazb0t

That's really not very good at all except for the directivity, I'm sure he'll make them much better with a new Klippel optimized crossover. The new S2 EX V2 and the LX both measure much better, the LX looks like it could be the speaker to beat under 2k based on the measurements.
Those measurements don't look "really not very good at all" to me. They're very similar to the ones Amir made of the Horizon, which was recommended:
I would expect them to measure fairly similarly as they share the same drivers, crossover frequencies, and cabinet volume. The differences are likely explainable due to a combination of unit variation, port differences, and being measured on two separate customer owned Klippel NFS rigs with different measurement parameters/sampling rates. The PIRs look very similar.

Last edited:

tw 2022

I think we're gonna see revamped versions of every ascend speaker... Think how much people would love a cbm 170 se v2 .. They'd kill off a lot of the $500-1000 crowd,and he can probably bring em in at $5-600....

Shazb0t

I think we're gonna see revamped versions of every ascend speaker... Think how much people would love a cbm 170 se v2 .. They'd kill off a lot of the $500-1000 crowd,and he can probably bring em in at $5-600....
Yea, they just released the V2 tuning of the Sierra-2EX optimized with the NFS:
Sierra-2EX_V2_CEA2034.png

There are additional NFS measurements on their webpage. They're selling this new V2 version and offering a crossover upgrade kit for current owners. On their forums it sounds like something similar is going to be released for the Ribbon Towers soon. One of the pros of buying an Ascend is that they design their new releases around the ability to upgrade previous versions. You don't have to be afraid that you'll buy an expensive speaker and a new one will come out next month leaving you with buyers remorse.

Last edited:

tw 2022

Yea, they just released the V2 tuning of the Sierra 2-EX optimized with the NFS:
Sierra-2EX_V2_CEA2034.png

There are more NFS measurements on their webpage. They're selling this new V2 version and offering a crossover upgrade kit for current owners. On the forum it sounds like something similar is going to be released for the Ribbon Towers soon. One of the pros of buying an Ascend is that they design their new releases around the ability to upgrade previous versions. You don't have to be afraid that you'll buy an expensive speaker and a new one will come out next month leaving you with buyers remorse.
Dave and Dennis Murphy are good reasons to like the hobby.. They're kicking the poop outta the " big boys " while everyone else is getting killed by harman and kef and elac..goes to show you what real talent can overcome...

astr0b0y

Can’t tell if the Sierra-2 upgrade kits are worth it here in Aus. I don’t think so. Will be well north of AUD $1500 here where as I paid around $2k for the original pair years ago (better fx rate). I have a Horizon centre so there would be a small voicing mismatch.

Ricardojoa

Can’t tell if the Sierra-2 upgrade kits are worth it here in Aus. I don’t think so. Will be well north of AUD $1500 here where as I paid around $2k for the original pair years ago (better fx rate). I have a Horizon centre so there would be a small voicing mismatch.
To me the sierra ex woofer is what i like the most. The uper bass is more tactical over the sierra 2 woofer and the overall image that produce is larger.

tw 2022

honestly, you've already got a great speaker pair, i wouldn't do the upgrade if you can't justify the expense...

aarons915

Forum Donor
Those measurements don't look "really not very good at all" to me. They're very similar to the ones Amir made of the Horizon, which was recommended:
I would expect them to measure fairly similarly as they share the same drivers, crossover frequencies, and cabinet volume. The differences are likely explainable due to a combination of unit variation, port differences, and being measured on two separate customer owned Klippel NFS rigs with different measurement parameters/sampling rates. The PIRs look very similar.

Sorry I know you're a fan but the Horizon measured quite a bit better than the towers, there is a lack of bass compared to 200Hz+ region that is all a bit elevated in comparison. Nothing that a little EQ couldn't fix but there is room for improvement and it sounds like the V2 version will be just that.

goldark

Forum Donor
I just upgraded the Sierra 2 EX to the V2 version. The improvements are apparent, not huge, but well worth the cost of $135 per speaker. It's more linear with better in-room response and off-axis behavior. Subjectively, it seems warmer with more spaciousness than the EX, which was already a fine speaker, itself. Having an NFS during the speaker's developmental phase is a game changer for Ascend. Well done.

tw 2022

I just upgraded the Sierra 2 EX to the V2 version. The improvements are apparent, not huge, but well worth the cost of $135 per speaker. It's more linear with better in-room response and off-axis behavior. Subjectively, it seems warmer with more spaciousness than the EX, which was already a fine speaker, itself. Having an NFS during the speaker's developmental phase is a game changer for Ascend. Well done.
ascend looks like a newer better version of revel...sorry revel fans...

Top Bottom