• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which multichannel music upmixer do you like ?

retro

I use Penteo Surround a lot. It is pretty well done, you can easily customize it per type of music, it adapt to your setup ( it support all atmos, aero ... configuration). Not cheap and you also need a daw with it. Reaper+Penteo is around 400$.
I have also use Nugen's Halo upmix which is not bad but more expensive.

Penteo sounds interesting. It should work straight into Jriver as a VST plugin, right..?

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For casual 3.1 listening DTS: neo music. For some reason my Yammie AVR doesn't allow auto-volume based DR control and EQ on Dolby Surround but it does on DTS Neo.

Soundmixer

Dolby Surround Upmixer for two-channel music and movies, and Neural X for multichannel movies.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Auro 2D to up mix stereo music to 5.1. I used to use DTS: Neo. Never liked Dolby's up mixing for music.

But I mainly use it for EDM and other types of electronic music, because I don't have the same spatial placement of the instruments like I would with a rock band.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
IME,
DTS NEO 6 Music with varying levels of center spread sounds the best for music to me.
Inspired by this thread, I've started experimenting with DTS NEO 6 Music, which is included with the Oppo BDP-105. But it seems to work only when I play discs. When I use the Oppo as a streamer (through its USB Dac), I get two channels of output--not one channel more. (Why o why, Oppo?)

Aerith Gainsborough

Only tried Nugen Halo upmix and whatever is in my Yamaha AVR. Don't like both results, weird phasing issues, sound almost like "holes" the moment I move my head.

Perhaps Dirac's phase alignment is too aggressive? Don't have that problem with native multichannel material.

Curious about Auro but cost of entry is quite steep.

HomerJay

Penteo sounds interesting. It should work straight into Jriver as a VST plugin, right..?

Yes. I use Penteo a lot and have upmixed over 400 albums and some concerts too. Results can vary from spectacular to ordinary but most sound great. The surround mix is heavily influenced by the stereo mix, its width and panning. If the stereo mix sounds wide Penteo sounds more discrete.

I upmix using a batch process in Reaper using the Penteo VST3 and often the Izotope Ozone Imager VST3 to widen the stereo image prior to Penteo.

Andysu

Major Contributor
I use anything but that rubbish denon avc-x8500h with that rubbish dolby dsu, or that rubbish dtsx or that rubbish auro.
I use the original the DOLBY STEREO CP200.
upmixers LMOA they ain't an up mixer sounds like a sound-mixer LMOA it's a dsp micro professor matrix decoder that is Rubbish it is so flawed that it can't even process a simple Laserdisc CBS/Fox early letterbox pressing, The Empire Strikes Back. dialog leaks into LRS, utter rubbish it is. There isn't an issue with using the Dolby MP 4.2.4 on format 61 matrix decoder or the Sony SDDS own matrix on non-sync. dolby labs today have gotten lazy , they went sell their rubbish dsu and now most are stuck with that rubbish cos no one any forum site has the pride to go and buy an old matrix pro-logic and connect it to the 8ch input cos most won't even be using that and then when passing the signal to the ...... You all know how to wire it up on the avr.

120365297_369903641130460_6031465658412430642_n.jpg

Descartes

Major Contributor
I had tried Logic 7 and was very impressed!

I wonder about Harman Logic 16 that must be very nice.

Andysu

Major Contributor
I had tried Logic 7 and was very impressed!

I wonder about Harman Logic 16 that must be very nice.
I think I have logic7, on my Harman Hardon AVP1a THX? Not fully rigged it up only used it years ago for cheap SW only, cos it was so cheap on ebay, unlike when sold in 1990's to those snob rich people who think they needed THX but bet most of them haven't even been to High Wycombe, or Empire Leicester Square. I may, I may rig the AVP1a up to the Denon AVC-X8500H 8 ch inputs that ain't being used so I can put the AVP1a though measurable tests with a pro cinema actual THX.

1003870_10151790143880149_1038750878_n.jpg

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
Jazzgroove.com has a Mch radio stream that uses Penteo together with the Orban processor. Sounds great.

EB1000

DTS Neo and Dolby Pro logic IIx are no longer offered. They were replaced by Neural X and Dsur, which suck for 2 channel music (music upmixing mode is no longer offered). Auro 3D's Auromatic upmixer does a good job, but unlike Dolby and DTS. it does not steer out of phase content to the surround speakers. I wish mainstream AVR also included Harman's Logic-7, which does a great job for music.

Descartes

Major Contributor
DTS Neo and Dolby Pro logic IIx are no longer offered. They were replaced by Neural X and Dsur, which suck for 2 channel music (music upmixing mode is no longer offered). Auro 3D's Auromatic upmixer does a good job, but unlike Dolby and DTS. it does not steer out of phase content to the surround speakers. I wish mainstream AVR also included Harman's Logic-7, which does a great job for music.
Yes Harman logic is very nice

aac

Been trying Nugen Halo upmixer and Waves DTS Neural demos.
So far DTS is better to my ears, but Halo has way more knobs, so maybe I just need to adjust it better to achieve a surpassing result.
Has anyone compared Penteo 16 upmixer to these two? Even demo seems to need ilok usb that I don't have.

Soundmixer

I use anything but that rubbish denon avc-x8500h with that rubbish dolby dsu, or that rubbish dtsx or that rubbish auro.
I use the original the DOLBY STEREO CP200.
Funny that the CP200 is noisier, has less channel separation and more channel bleeding as a matrix processor than that rubbish DSU, Neural X, or Auro. Put the latter in a X8500H, and the CP200 just cannot compete no matter what amplification you put in the back of it.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The best I have heard is Logic7, I've drooled over the Logic16 capable AVR's - but they are too expensive for me.

2nd best (but a long way behind) is Dolby PLII Music on my Onkyo/Integra AVR's... most of the time I prefer Plain high quality Stereo over upmix, unless it is Logic7/16

rccarguy

I sat on my rubbish sofa drinking rubbish tea picking up rubbish remote switching on rubbish AV pre looking out of my rubbish eyes changing volume.on rubbish volume control playing back rubbish music on the rubbish media player on my rubbish speakers with my rubbish hearing.

Top Bottom