• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The problem is that OLED's are still highly susceptible to screen image burn.
New sets have pretty good countermeasures for it. My LG for example detects logos and turns down their luminance (brightness). It can shift the whole image as well if it is static. With these measures it is going to last many years and at that time if it is bad, you can just replace it. We all pay tons more for content than for a display like this anyway.

Also if a larger set is dedicated to movie watching, it will get used so little that such things don't matter.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New sets have pretty good countermeasures for it. My LG for example detects logos and turns down their luminance (brightness). It can shift the whole image as well if it is static. With these measures it is going to last many years and at that time if it is bad, you can just replace it. We all pay tons more for content than for a display like this anyway.

Also if a larger set is dedicated to movie watching, it will get used so little that such things don't matter.
RTINGS runs a continual burn-in test on OLED & LED models, it takes a lot of punishment to burn in OLEDs.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks my new Panasonic 65-inch 4K OLED TV has some advanced automatic maintenance functions to avoid or minimize the screen burn-in and also to keep screen brightness uniformity. Since this TV is my first OLED, I do not know how effective the automatic maintenace would be, though.
https://jpn.faq.panasonic.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44129/~/有機elテレビのお手入れ
AI translation by Google Chrome:
◆ Panel maintenance

● Panel maintenance function <Target: OLED TVs after 2017>
   Panel maintenance is performed regularly to prevent panel burn-in.
   The panel status is self-diagnosed according to the TV usage status, and the optimum panel maintenance function is selected and executed.
  There are two types of panel maintenance functions.
  ◎ Panel maintenance function (1)
    Function: Scans all pixels of the panel and corrects them in a short time to reduce the variation in panel performance.
    Device status: The screen goes off and the power lamp of the main unit lights orange (waiting for function).
    Maintenance time: Approximately 10 minutes
  ◎ Panel maintenance function (2)
    Function: Scans the panel pixels and corrects for a long time to reduce the variation in panel performance.
    Pre-start notice: The "Regular panel maintenance notice" message is displayed.
    Device status: The screen goes off and the power lamp of the main unit lights orange (waiting for function)
    Maintenance time: Approximately 80 minutes
          In the second half of maintenance, a white horizontal line scans from the top to the bottom of the panel.
    Maintenance completion confirmation: When the TV power is turned on, "Panel maintenance processing is completed" is displayed.
  * It can also be executed manually from "Menu"-"Screen Settings"-"Panel Maintenance".

* If the power is turned on during maintenance, the maintenance will be interrupted, but the maintenance will be restarted from the beginning after the next power off.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
New sets have pretty good countermeasures for it
The key words there are "pretty good". But each to their own, the current top LCD's have great black levels and I don't watch off axis, only head on from my lazyboy or just very slightly off from the couch.. They also have incredible brightness which helps daylight viewing.
Some of us don't have the luxury of numerous sets in alternate rooms. I got one set in my man-cave/living room, that's it, except for a small old CRT in the bedroom which I never watch. This 75 Sony gets used for everything including PC monitor about 50% of my online time, just as I am right now. Don't want ASR burned into my screen, I spend a bit of time here. LOL
Different situations can still favor one over the other, when they start to warranty the OLED's against any burn-in I'll consider it. ;)

Edit, Just thinkin, I'd hate to know how many hours I have on this Sony since I bought it, a little over 4 years ago. I'd say it averages about 12 hours a day, 365. I often fall asleep while watching something or listening to music while using it for the servers monitor. It really goes thru hell over here

IMG_2945.JPG

Last edited:

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well. It makes me pause and wonder why in a $ 17k device it is impossible to achieve the distortion, linearity and dynamic range of much, much less expensive products. Is it because of the excessive number of inputs and outputs. Why on Earth would you need 8 HDMI inputs? Is it the poor integration between the different parts (PC portion, analog and DSP)? Puzzling in a $ 17K product. It is seems to me it is possible to build a lesser eye appealing system with separate DAC, video interface and preamp at 10 times lower cost.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well. It makes me pause and wonder why in a $ 17k device it is impossible to achieve the distortion, linearity and dynamic range of much, much less expensive products. Is it because of the excessive number of inputs and outputs. Why on Earth would you need 8 HDMI inputs? Is it the poor integration between the different parts (PC portion, analog and DSP)? Puzzling in a $ 17K product. It is seems to me it is possible to build a lesser eye appealing system with separate DAC, video interface and preamp at 10 times lower cost.
Jump in there and bring it to market. If you can make it happen you might make a bundle. ;)

Reactions: RUR

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Product strategy and research does not always result in something you expect but will end up with something that sells to keep you in business.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All projectors are shoddy compared to OLED.
You clearly have a very strong preference.. calling that projector shoddy is pretty strong. Both technologies will have their pros and cons... but watching a movie at 11-12 feet away to a 122inch 2:35 wide screen is a legitimate preference as well. I am sure one day screen size/cost will get there but until then projectors are still the way to go for large screens. And blacks and colors are pretty darn good on the JVC’s (I own the RS500 and I’m sure the newer ones are even better). But to each their own as we all have our own priorities on what is important.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh I do wish I had just tried the old Sherwood R972 to start with, but the bugginess at the time scared me off. If I had a dedicated theater I think the Trinnov would be my first bet, but I don't....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If I had a dedicated theater I think the Trinnov would be my first bet, but I don't....
Chrispy, what's the thing about having a "dedicated" HT. ?

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Yes it is, just get Audiolense and run from a PC cabled to your Hifi or multichannel . If you want the cheapest Trinnov Roomcorrection for stereo check this one
https://www.google.no/amp/s/www.soundonsound.com/reviews/trinnov-st2-pro?amp

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You clearly have a very strong preference.. calling that projector shoddy is pretty strong. Both technologies will have their pros and cons... but watching a movie at 11-12 feet away to a 122inch 2:35 wide screen is a legitimate preference as well. I am sure one day screen size/cost will get there but until then projectors are still the way to go for large screens. And blacks and colors are pretty darn good on the JVC’s (I own the RS500 and I’m sure the newer ones are even better). But to each their own as we all have our own priorities on what is important.

The problem is normal projectors can't do HDR and have poor contrast. Good HDR is a huge image quality upgrade. I'll take it over a larger screen every time. To do real HDR at the 100+ inch screen size you need >10K lumens. There are a few 4K HDR projectors with that output(and good enough contrast), but they're like $50K+. The Dolby Cinemas can do it too.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Don't want ASR burned into my screen, I spend a bit of time here.
Such lack of dedication to our cause. If you were really committed to objectivity in audio, you would let it burn in and burn in good!!!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well. It makes me pause and wonder why in a $ 17k device it is impossible to achieve the distortion, linearity and dynamic range of much, much less expensive products.

because it’s not necessary, 100 dB is huge already. because dB is a logarithmic

for example 108 dB of Dynamic range (what the Trinnov can do) is enough to record a conversation between two people 160 miles apart if you place the microphone in the middle. It’s insane.

with A-weighting (which reflects our perception of sound better) Trinnov says the DR approaches 120 dB.

in terms of signal power, -100dB = 0.0000000001 * -1 dB.

apgood

The problem is normal projectors can't do HDR and have poor contrast. Good HDR is a huge image quality upgrade. I'll take it over a larger screen every time. To do real HDR at the 100+ inch screen size you need >10K lumens. There are a few 4K HDR projectors with that output(and good enough contrast), but they're like $50K+. The Dolby Cinemas can do it too.

For 100 inch screen 10K lumens would be way too bright. The Lumens required as screen size increases isn't linear. You need more lumens for a smaller screen relative to its size versus a large screen due to how much of our field of vision it fills from a normal viewing distance

Dolby Cinema for example is graded to 100 nits and they are plenty bright on the large screen they are projecting on.

For a 100 inch screen you'd probably want 3500 lumens max depending on the screen gain.

Last edited:

Costas EAR

Forum Donor
Trinnov seems like a great company with really good customer service and great products, I just wish they made more products price for us mortals.

Well, it's objectively expensive, 17.000 American dollars are a lot of dollars, who can argue with that?:p

But, on the other hand, there are so many speakers out there, costing more than 17 thousand of your American dollars, there are projectors and amplifiers costing much more, plain good old preamps cost much more, and dallars are in fact just worthless papers with no real value so don't worry, spend them wisely, buy a trinnov.:p

After all, the cost per channel is just one thousand dollars for each channel, including pre amp with XLR, dac, room eq, cross, roon, etc etc etc.. plus extreme customer support and endless upgradability.:cool:

Also, each speaker will cost much more than 1.000 dollars per channel, including amps and stands and cabling, so the trinnov cost per channel in an immersive setup is really no big deal. Buy cheaper speakers! For example, don't buy a genelec at 3.000$ each, but instead choose a dynaudio or Neumann at <2.000$ each, and trinnov is for free! :D

As a matter of fact, a lot of plain old 2 channel pre amps cost more than 2 thousand of your beloved (worthless) American Dollars, without trinnov software, and with rca outputs! :facepalm::facepalm::eek:

150715_Blog_Photo_Main~2.jpg

PS. You need Google translation from Greek to read it (save yourself, buy a trinnov). I know Dr Toole has a sense of humor, he is my super favorite audio priest, and I am sure he can use Google translate, while he is using his own trinnov gear to hear his favorite pop music. :)

Edit: I'd love to own 13 pcs of me Geithein 901 or genelec the ones 8361, but the cost of each one of these is so much more American dollars, that trinnov would be too cheap to connect to them, it would be such a shame... Even big passive revels are so much expensive, and then I'd have to match them with equally priced amps, oh God..:facepalm:

Last edited:

StuartC

Forum Donor
.... the cost per channel is just one thousand dollars for each channel, including pre amp with XLR, dac, room eq, cross, roon, etc etc etc.. plus extreme customer support and endless upgradability.:cool:

Also, each speaker will cost much more than 1.000 dollars per channel, including amps and stands and cabling, so the trinnov cost per channel in an immersive setup is really no big deal. Buy cheaper speakers! For example, don't buy a genelec at 3.000$ each, but instead choose a dynaudio or Neumann at <2.000$ each, and trinnov is for free! :D
Good perspective

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
10K lumens in a completely dark room at my screen size? I don’t think that is correct. I would need to wear sunglasses :)

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Trinnov seems like a great company with really good customer service and great products, I just wish they made more products price for us mortals.
Mere mortals can get most of the sound quality of Trinnov if they get an Emotiva or HTP-1 and then put in the sweat required for REW room measurements, proper speaker placement and subwoofer/bass optimization.

Top Bottom