• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD 58X vs HD 6XX: which of the two "tells the truth"?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Guys, would you consider 6XX a step-up over 58X? I own the latter but find them a bit muddy'ish. Don't know if I should pull the trigger on the 6XX and sell the 58X, but don't want it to be a redundant purchase. The only thing keeping me from doing so is that I can run the Jubilees without an amp if I need to.

Both HD58X and HD6XX have the same voltage efficiency so there is no advantage of the somewhat lower, but still high, impedance.

The HD6XX is slightly less 'tight' in the lows but has smoother treble

splattened

Forum Donor
Not to bump an old thread again, but I'm guessing people will continue to find this since it has 6XX in the title.

I also found the comparisons between the 58X and 6XX confusing and inconclusive in the past.

I'll add to the mix by saying I own both of these headphones, and I really don't like the 58X. They sound grainy and gross in the mids or treble. I'm not smart enough or equipped enough to quantify it further. Maybe it's to be potentially expected based on the graphs in this thread, or maybe there's something about my particular pair that I find disagreeable. Or maybe I'm crazy. I'm not sure I can know. But I don't like them. Meanwhile the 6XX is my favorite headphone.

So I obviously recommend the 6XX. Even setting my personal preference aside, I don't think you can really go wrong with the 6XX, assuming you're looking for a general, all-around, solid, relatively affordable pair of headphones and not trying to become a Crazy Headphone Person. The 6XX is very popular. It's well liked, well known, well supported, quite thoroughly discussed and understood, etc., especially considering its close relation to the HD 650. I think that all counts for something.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I get the impression that the 58x and 6xx must be more different than the 580 and 600 originals.

I've owned a pair of original HD580s since 1999. Over the years they've had several pad & cable replacements but otherwise original. And I owned the HD600 for a while. The two were so similar, virtually identical, I had to squint to hear the difference. So I ended up selling the HD600 and keeping the HD580.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I get the impression that the 58x and 6xx must be more different than the 580 and 600 originals.

58x and 6xx do differ more than 580 and 600 originals.
Very different drivers vs very similar (if not the same) drivers.

MrDogg

I'm a big fan of the 58x, I've had a lot of phones come and go but they stay put!

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm a big fan of the 58x, I've had a lot of phones come and go but they stay put!

I've been using IEMs a lot lately, but for fun I pulled my curtain-modded HD58X off the shelf and it still sounds very nice. I ended up adding a 2Q 2dB boost at 2000 Hz which adds a nice bit of clarity without sounding too forward. And oh man is it a comfortable headphone!

Limaaa

I've had HD58X (fun but fatiguing), HD6XX (smooth but boring and muddy). Now I have HD600 which is the best for me (more clarity than HD6XX, voices are more forward, and still smooth and non fatiguing).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to bump an old thread again, but I'm guessing people will continue to find this since it has 6XX in the title.

I also found the comparisons between the 58X and 6XX confusing and inconclusive in the past.

I'll add to the mix by saying I own both of these headphones, and I really don't like the 58X. They sound grainy and gross in the mids or treble. I'm not smart enough or equipped enough to quantify it further. Maybe it's to be potentially expected based on the graphs in this thread, or maybe there's something about my particular pair that I find disagreeable. Or maybe I'm crazy. I'm not sure I can know. But I don't like them. Meanwhile the 6XX is my favorite headphone.

So I obviously recommend the 6XX. Even setting my personal preference aside, I don't think you can really go wrong with the 6XX, assuming you're looking for a general, all-around, solid, relatively affordable pair of headphones and not trying to become a Crazy Headphone Person. The 6XX is very popular. It's well liked, well known, well supported, quite thoroughly discussed and understood, etc., especially considering its close relation to the HD 650. I think that all counts for something.

Are there hard and fast markers that class someone as a "Crazy Headphone Person"? Be careful now, people have been drawn and quartered on here for imprecise definitions.

Blank Verse

Neither of those cans will tell "the truth" because they are on the wrong side of neutral (too dark). Anything that is designed to targer the Harman Curve will not tell you "the truth". The best bang for the buck for truthful reproduction is probably the Etymotic ER2SE, but then you are making some compromises with ergonomy (unless you are fond of deep insertion) and soundstage. The previous generation from Sennheiser, the ones who targetted the Diffuse Field, are much more truthful. They also take well to EQ, if you still want to delve into the Dark Side of the Force.

Anything darker than an HD600 or an HD580 I wouldn't consider, and these are right on the edge of what is acceptable even. The problem is that most people have built the HD600 into being the epitome of neutrality, which it isn't. It is a relatively dark headphone, but it shines with the fulgor of a thousand suns compared to the HD650 (and obviously the HD58x).

Blank Verse

Are there hard and fast markers that class someone as a "Crazy Headphone Person"? Be careful now, people have been drawn and quartered on here for imprecise definitions.
This is a hobby, so there is no such thing as "Crazy Headphone Person". If you think about what we do from a pragmatic point of view, you would reach the conclusion that the reason why people tend to accumulate too many headphones is because they haven't found the right one yet, so they make do with different iterations of increasingly approximating instances to that perfect headphone which would render all of the previous terms in the sequence unnecessary.

I know a guy who seemed to be a crazy headphone person in the beginning (he would buy many units of the same vintage headphone a few years ago, and he would repair them), but in the end he ended being the sanest headphone person I have ever met, as he ended graduating into his perfect headphone (a $3000 unit, nonetheless) and sold the rest.

blse59

The 560s is more truthful than either of these. I'm using them right now and I love them. The overall balance from bass to treble is perfect, almost perfectly flat.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No headphone tells the truth by itself. For accurate reproduction adhering to current standards, we need DSP, and I personally don’t use any headphone without it. All of the previous headphones you have suggested need help from EQ and even then, their driver design does not let them reproduce the lowest octaves faithfully since the distortion in that region is too high. That’s why I’m using my QC 35II EQd and they blow out the water my HD 600, even when EQd.

Sombreuil

I'll add to the mix by saying I own both of these headphones, and I really don't like the 58X. They sound grainy and gross in the mids or treble. I'm not smart enough or equipped enough to quantify it further. Maybe it's to be potentially expected based on the graphs in this thread, or maybe there's something about my particular pair that I find disagreeable. Or maybe I'm crazy. I'm not sure I can know. But I don't like them. Meanwhile the 6XX is my favorite headphone..

I wouldn't say I don't like the 58X but I also think they can be disagreeable, I'm having a hard time EQ'ing them because of the mids & treble.
The main problem I have is that they are more specific than what I initially thought, the soundstage is way too "narrow/to the face" for a lot of genres, so I ended up using them mostly for vocals which they are great for IMO.

Top Bottom