• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seriously, Another MQA Thread Killed by the Mods!

Should All MQA Discussions be Banned on ASR?

• Yes

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 107 82.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I still can spend 4 points until the ban hammer hits me, if I am correct. Well spent points on MQA :p

Don't spend it all in one place! ;)

Fahzz

Forum Donor
My $.02 is that there are plenty of other sites where you can have discussions like this. Certain disputes simply cannot be resolved. I come to this site to learn and to avoid this kind of "debate" and the animosity that predictably ensues, although I must admit that the snark can be funny.

John Atkinson

Industry Insider
Reviewer
I was disappointed that Stereophile/Fremer/Wilson thread was killed and erased.

For the record, while my measurements of both the Wilson XVX and Marten Parker Trio Diamond Edition and the conclusions I drew from those measurements were criticized in that thread, I had nothing to do with the thread being deleted.

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MQA's efforts on its own behalf are unceasing and their methods, as evidenced by Bob Stuart's response to @GoldenOne , are beneath contempt. For that reason I personally believe it's important to keep widely read forums like this one open to MQA threads.

I will also say that from my subjective (ironic! :)) perspective, I have not in fact seen the MQA discussions' sometimes-heated tone infect the entire forum. This forum remains largely as it has ever been, with great reviews, highly educational (for me, at least) discussion of technical matters, and plenty of genuinely helpful and good-faith replies when newer members start threads asking some variation of the "if measurements can tell the story, then how come I hear a difference between A and B" question (contrary to the way the membership of this forum is routinely caricatured by some in the audiophile press and community).

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Be a moderator they said...

It'll be fun they said...

:cool:
Be a moderator they said, you’ll have groupies and fan girls they said and you’ll have idiots with pitchforks to flay you they said.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Be a moderator they said, you’ll have groupies and fan girls they said and you’ll have idiots with pitchforks to flay you they said.

post-2-0-83045500-1367739905 (1).png

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lately I have been noticing an increased amount of individuals engaging in inflammatory and detrimental conversations on here instead of having a civil discussion. This is a free forum to discuss information and tidbits of wealth related to audio science. This topic and discussion of MQA’ validity and lack thereof is a beaten dead horse. If you can’t be civil and self police yourself then there are other individuals that can do the job for you. Internet forums everywhere are filled with cats that meow nonsense and have to be herded out to keep the peace.

edit: I have been a moderator of a forum before and have nothing but respect and admiration for the mods here because of the work they do to keep this forum ticking along.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Honestly, i couldn't care less whether MQA or anything else for that matter is discussed. If I'm not interested I just wont read or comment on the subject at hand.

Yes, this is a site based around audio science (which is why I like it) but also the site is open to all sorts of sharing and discussions, which we sometimes forget. Seems we are easily eager as humans to jump on the train being in favor or disagreement of something just because others choose to do so.
This seems to manifest itself particularly nowadays in political discussions, but easily bleeds over to what some may call fanboys for certain audio brands. I have seen where it is ok to bash or rag on certain brands but not others. The same goes for politics, it's ok to joke about one side, but not the other.
We are forgetting valuable lessons in history. It's really quite simple, if you don't like what someone has said, ignore it and move on. Or hell comment back if that floats your boat. But to delete or get rid of something just because it somehow offends you, is a dangerous path to travel. Like it or not, while you think you may be on the right side now, or in the it crowd now. Sooner or later, you yourself will eventually offend someone else, usually from the side you thought you were on. Then you, will become the deleted outsider.
In short, as long as you are not advocating violence or gynecide, people should be able to speak or write what's on their mind. Lighten up world.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
A few days after it was locked. Pressure from Stereophile?
No, it was deleted due to a few bad apples constantly bickering. I was part of it, I need to learn to not give in to trolling. There was a series of posts in the last hours of the thread where I was being trolled by someone here on the forums and I blew up. That, combined with the dozens of other instances of mis behaviour is why I assume it was closed. I think the way I worded the original post was slightly inflammatory but sometimes that’s just the truth. And the truth sometimes hurts. In any case there was a lot of intelligent discussion in that thread. Shame it’s all gone now.

The shut down of my comments on the stereophile review as well as the sister thread I made on the stevehoffman forums proves without any doubt that stereophile will censor dissenting opinions where they can.

spacevector

Forum Donor
In any case there was a lot of intelligent discussion in that thread. Shame it’s all gone now.
If a thread is deleted, is it gone forever? Or do the powers that be have the ability to reinstate a previously deleted thread?

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
If a thread is deleted, is it gone forever? Or do the powers that be have the ability to reinstate a previously deleted thread?
I don’t think the thread is “deleted” it’s probably just hidden. I was hoping the thread could be re opened at a later date once everyone has had time to chill out. I was going to contact Woody or Adam at a later date. We’ll see, ok? It’s my experience with the moderators is they are extremely reasonable people and would rather work with you than against you. Such behaviour from mods is rarity in any type of forum, usually moderators are on an extreme power and ego trip. ASR is different from so many other places and I’m glad for that.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lately I have been noticing an increased amount of individuals engaging in inflammatory and detrimental conversations on here instead of having a civil discussion.

edit: I have been a moderator of a forum before and have nothing but respect and admiration for the mods here because of the work they do to keep this forum ticking along.

I couldn't have said this better.

One of my favorite aspects of this forum is the interface, with an effective "ignore" function.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
All that needs to be said on MQA has been said, many times. We've had deep dives, arguments and way too much discussion on it over many years.

Opposing sides have dug into their trenches and further conflict is just a war of attrition with nobody gaining any ground.

I support "MQA" as being a keyword that the system can just automatically ban. Plenty more interesting things to talk about in audio IMO.

Maki

MQA threads are boring, insipid and everything worth stating has pretty much been stated. That being said, banning discussion of would cast a negative light on this forum. I will never use MQA or Tidal, period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom