• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rock music is Dead? (Spoiler: No)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New types, or sub-genres of rock music do not seem to be evolving these days, hence the "Rock is Dead" stmts.

That does not mean that that the music is no longer played or covered, just as Baroque is. But the lack of new types and the presence of cleavage cover bands both suggest, at minimum, a period of stasis.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
It was in response to your thread:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/music-is-dead.23375/

He agreed with his own premise here a few posts back:

Pearl Jam put out the vast majority of their catalog in "AK" (after Kurt), so maybe they are the exception according to him?

FWIW, I was in college during the Seattle bands/Nirvana breakout, so that was my reference for emotional, powerful fresh sounding rock at the time too. I still enjoy it, but have moved on to discover other music I love too. I feel so genuinely bad for people who can't get excited about anything other than what they listened to 30 yrs ago.

My refutation of his premise was that although the music you like during the formative teens/early 20s years will always be special to you - music and creativity marches on. It's definitely you, not them. It's more about finding ways to discover new music you like. I was hoping this thread could help those who suffer from this affliction - the "Get off of my Lawn and you kids turn down that noise" affliction.
While i somewhat agree
I still can't think of any band from the past 10 years or more that is as good as Nirvana or Radiohead, or any timeless classic album that is as good as In Utero or OK Computer
There is a lot of nice new stuff but nothing that blows my mind that i always want to listen to again and again.

Freeway

In another thread I said we live in a golden age for electronic. More music than time to listen. Many other genres too. I don't think I'll live long enough to listen to all the interesting music made in the last two decades. And it's not as if it's going to stop coming.

Turn it up
Step back
See where you land

Blaspheme

While i somewhat agree
I still can't think of any band from the past 10 years or more that is as good as Nirvana or Radiohead, or any timeless classic album that is as good as In Utero or OK Computer ...
Maybe, but I didn't find Radiohead particularly novel or interesting until Kid A.

*I guess I'm just a creep.

Last edited:

Blaspheme

New types, or sub-genres of rock music do not seem to be evolving these days, hence the "Rock is Dead" stmts.

That does not mean that that the music is no longer played or covered, just as Baroque is. But the lack of new types and the presence of cleavage cover bands both suggest, at minimum, a period of stasis.
Interesting counterfactual. Still interested to see you identify the examples of "covers with cleavage" in this thread. I think you said "a lot" so it shouldn't be hard.

I totally agree Rock died with Kurt Cobain.

I think people who think rock music is dead aren't really trying to find good, modern rock music. It's not hard to find.
I think people would be generally happy to let boomers senesce in peace, if only they would shut up about it. :)

Last edited:

Blaspheme

New types, or sub-genres of rock music do not seem to be evolving these days ...
PS: cursory research could start here. Plenty of new rock genres to explore. Note that electronic has the most new genres, as befits the golden age.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I see that someone has beaten me to it with Muse... I realize this is old (2007?) but gahdam those X0K in that stadium don't think rock is dead

and to make it a bit more contemporary... rock just won Eurovision 2021

Nothing is dead. We are just drowning in choice without "tastemakers" telling us what is cool and what isn't.

Blaspheme

Since as a teen you couldn't tear Black Sabbath Vol 4 from my cold dead hands, it's fun to know that there's the odd millennial cover (from Paranoid in this case) that isn't shit (from Amanda Fish's sister Sam, so leaning into the old school blues):

Top Bottom