• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F228Be Review (Speaker)

tuga

Major Contributor
The F228 FR looks very "wavy" when compared to that of the F208. Could that be ringing/resonances?

It would be interesting to compare CSD plots of the two models.

e1fjbR8.png

Last edited:

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 708P seems to go lower in response (vertical directivity is not as good though). I am confused how a much larger speaker with more 8" drivers rolls off much higher. Can someone shed some light on this?

index.php

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I.E. some sort of room correction software.
Yes. I wanted to point out that one doesn't need to invest in Dirac, ARC ect. PEQ is widely available for free or near free and that taming the worst room modes is a great start and maybe even great enough vs feeling that one needs to "fix" everything - which is what I think some folks are confused about. Not saying that you are, just expanding the conversation.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
The 708P seems to go lower in response (vertical directivity is not as good though). I am confused how a much larger speaker with more 8" drivers rolls off much higher. Can someone shed some light on this?

index.php
Klipple may struggle to accurately portray bass with towers and other designs.
Also port tunning and driver parameters such as xmax and FS are huge factors.
Some 12inch drivers can not play below 100hz and some 5" drivers can be tuned to 30hrz.
Design goals are a factor in tuning and...
Additionally frequency responce tells you nothing about SPL levels.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any idea why your Klippel measurement is showing just a depressed bass response vs revel's measurement and your nearfield measurement?
Yes. That harman measurement only goes down to 50 hz for some odd reason giving you false impression of its slope. My measurements of course go down to 20 hz.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Would these be good nearfield? Like 6x6x6 ft triangle, and 1.5 feet from the front wall, 2 feet from side walls? Or is it a complete waste.

testp

panther panther panther... some of us dont understand what ur talking about unless there is a panther :)

just kidding

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
panther panther panther... some of us dont understand what ur talking about unless there is a panther :)

just kidding
Truth to be told, panthers look tiny when positioned next to these large speakers. That has given them an inferiority complex so in their last employment contract, they have stipulated that they won't post next to any object that is more than 5 times their height! I had to negotiate hard for that as they initially wanted 2 times their height!!!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
BTW, while we don't have the full scan from Harman for F228Be, we do have it for F226Be:

Spin%2B-%2BRevel%2BPerforma3Be%2BF226Be%2Braw.png

Notice the non-linear drop off in bass much like my measurements:

index.php

So the port tuning seems to be on purpose and NFS is capturing it correctly.

I should note however that on-axis response can lie about bass output when the port is in the back on these towers. Here is the F328Be for example:

index.php

If you actually overlay the on-axis response on the same graph as F228Be, it actually shows less bass extension! That is of course not true. The dashed red line shows that the total sound power is higher than what on-axis shows. The rear port is a bit directional producing more output going out the back than forward. I checked @MZKM and fortunately he tells me that the preference score uses the sound power there for low frequency extension. But visually we need to be mindful of this differential when looking at rear ported speakers like F328Be.

The F228Be fortunately has a front port so that is not an issue as evidenced by the on-axis and sound power both being the same in low frequencies.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The F228 FR looks very "wavy" when compared to that of the F208. Could that be ringing/resonances?

e1fjbR8.png
Looks like you are using the old F208 review and measurements I did at half the resolution and without low frequency optimizations. I have now corrected both in the review and this is what it looks like:

index.php

I see it less flat than F228Be.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Revel F228Be floor-standing speaker. This speaker was purchased new and drop shipped to me for testing. Alas, the customer can no longer afford them so if you are interested, let me know. The retail cost US $5,000 each but discounts have become common with Revel speakers.

NOTE: our company, Madrona Digital is a dealer for Harman products including Revel. While we don't do any retail business, I think it is fair for you to be on notice that there can be conflict of interest here. Feel free to read as much bias as you like into my subjective remarks (objective measurements are made the same as any other speaker).

This specific F228Be speaker is in gorgeous white color:

View attachment 131665

Please excuse the speaker cable. Normally I would disconnect it for a nice picture but these sounded so good I did not want to stop the music to take the picture!

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I performed over 1400 measurement which resulted in error rate of less than 1% below about 2 kHz. Above that it shot up to 2% or so.

Temperature was 68 degrees F.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

Reference axis was between the tweeter axis.

Revel F228Be Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:
View attachment 131666

On-axis response is as we expect from a Revel speaker: almost flat with just a dip visible around 7 to 9 kHz. Early window response in dashed blue is almost the same as on-axis which indicates good directivity:

View attachment 131667

Interesting that the large dips for floor and ceiling reflections actually help balance the overall response! There is however a slight dip around 400 Hz. That causes the only blemish in otherwise excellent predicted in-room frequency response:

View attachment 131684

This should make the speaker very room friendly as reflections don't color the direct sound.

Near-field measurements of each driver shows why the total response is so coherent:

View attachment 131685

Horizontal beam width is flat until the upper treble range:

View attachment 131686

Ditto for horizontal directivity:

View attachment 131687

There is a bit of oddness though at 170 to 180 degrees. That is come out from back of the case/tweeter.

Vertical directivity shows the needed freedom relative to tweeter axis and your ear height:

View attachment 131688

Impedance dips low and with some phase angle so you better have a stout amplifier to drive the F228be:

View attachment 131689

Some of the best news is in distortion department:

View attachment 131690

View attachment 131691

Revel F228Be Listening Tests and Equalization
This speaker was too heavy to drag upstairs to my normal listening room so testing was performed in our living room where I also tested the Revel F328Be. First impression was NOT positive! The sound was boomy and vocals lost in the midst of all that. So I pulled out my room measurements and knocked down the two room modes around 89 Hz. That made a remarkable difference. The sound was now open, distortion-free and quite nice. These large floor standers energize the room modes which can easily ruin the sound of even the best speakers.

I also added a slight boost in the 400 Hz (2 dB or so) which I thought balanced things out well (based on PIR response). Sorry forgot to save the EQ snapshot on my laptop. Can post if there is interest but really, other than the room mode, you don't need to do much.

Once tuned to the room, the sound was sublime. Track after track in my reference playlist filled the large space with incredible resolution and good bit of bass response. One fantastic track was the Opera from Niklas Paschburg's album, Svalbard:

You didn't want the music to end. :)

Comparisons to Revel F328Be Speaker
It has been quite a while since I tested and listened to the Revel F328Be which I reviewed back in November of last year. The F328 is a larger speaker and whether visually or audibly or both, projects a larger scale. The F228Be at first made me think the sound was emanating from its tweeter and midrange but that effect quickly wore off. With the F328Be, it lasted quite a bit longer as the tweeter height is higher. I remember the bass being more substantial in F328Be but the F228Be has plenty of that as well.

Objectively, the F328Be is a dB or two more efficient and has less distortion at 96 dBSPL:

index.php

That's about half as much distortion in bass than the F228Be tested here. The F328Be is a betters speaker but you need to sit farther from it so that the tweeter doesn't appear to be too high (until you get used to it).

Conclusions
What can I say. We expect Harman products as personified in Revel line to follow the best research we know in speakers to deliver and the F228Be does so. Any more perfection would require active design and DSP to smooth things out even more. Key here though is that these speakers deliver enough bass to activate room modes so you must have a strategy in place to deal with them. If not, you are better off getting bookshelf speakers (even there EQ is important). Without it, you ruin the sound of this speaker.

It is my pleasure to put the Revel F228Be speaker on my recommended list. I am happy it doesn't weight as much as my monster Salon 2 or the F328Be. :)

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Wow, this looks fantastic. Super linear LW, incredibly linear ER for a non-coaxial, fantastic horizontal directivity, pretty great vertical for a non-coaxial, and it's a relatively wide directivity design.

Maybe it's time I finally get my hands on a revel...

tuga

Major Contributor
Looks like you are using the old F208 review and measurements I did at half the resolution and without low frequency optimizations. I have now corrected both in the review and this is what it looks like:

index.php

I see it less flat than F228Be.

You are right,I was using the old measurements. These ones do look quite "ripply" too.

Why do you think that is, has anything changed in the measuring setup that would justify this?
Also, have you made these second measurements available for download?

tuga

Major Contributor

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So people can better compare, here are the Spins for the F208, F228Be, and F328Be, all without sensitivity (how I do powered speakers)

F208:
Spinorama 57.png

F228Be:
Spinorama 58.png

F328Be:
Spinorama 59.png

________
Considering the huge price differential and that sensitivity & distortion are not worlds apart (so assuming max SPL is close as well), I’d go with the F208. I also like it’s look in wood finish the best.

Last edited:

JDS

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Revel F228Be floor-standing speaker. This speaker was purchased new and drop shipped to me for testing. Alas, the customer can no longer afford them so if you are interested, let me know. The retail cost US $5,000 each but discounts have become common with Revel speakers.

NOTE: our company, Madrona Digital is a dealer for Harman products including Revel. While we don't do any retail business, I think it is fair for you to be on notice that there can be conflict of interest here. Feel free to read as much bias as you like into my subjective remarks (objective measurements are made the same as any other speaker).

View attachment 131665

Please excuse the speaker cable. Normally I would disconnect it for a nice picture but these sounded so good I did not want to stop the music to take the picture!

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I performed over 1400 measurement which resulted in error rate of less than 1% below about 2 kHz. Above that it shot up to 2% or so.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:
View attachment 131666

On-axis response is as we expect from a Revel speaker: almost flat with just a dip visible around 7 to 9 kHz. Early window response in dashed blue is almost the same as on-axis which indicates good directivity:

View attachment 131667

Interesting that the large dips for floor and ceiling reflections actually help balance the overall response! There is however a slight dip around 400 Hz. That causes the only blemish in otherwise excellent predicted in-room frequency response:

View attachment 131684

This should make the speaker very room friendly as reflections don't color the direct sound.

Near-field measurements of each driver shows why the total response is so coherent:

View attachment 131685

View attachment 131686

View attachment 131687

There is a bit of oddness though at 170 to 180 degrees. That is come out from back of the case/tweeter.

Vertical directivity shows the needed freedom relative to tweeter axis and your ear height:

View attachment 131688

Impedance dips low and with some phase angle so you better have a stout amplifier to drive the F228be:

View attachment 131689

View attachment 131690

View attachment 131691

This speaker was too heavy to drag upstairs to my normal listening room so testing was performed in our living room where I also tested the Revel F328Be. First impression was NOT positive! The sound was boomy and vocals lost in the midst of all that. So I pulled out my room measurements and knocked down the two room modes around 89 Hz. That made a remarkable difference. The sound was now open, distortion-free and quite nice. These large floor standers energize the room modes which can easily ruin the sound of even the best speakers.

I also added a slight boost in the 400 Hz (2 dB or so) which I thought balanced things out well (based on PIR response). Sorry forgot to save the EQ snapshot on my laptop. Can post if there is interest but really, other than the room mode, you don't need to do much.

Once tuned to the room, the sound was sublime. Track after track in my reference playlist filled the large space with incredible resolution and good bit of bass response. One fantastic track was the Opera from Niklas Paschburg's album, Svalbard:

It has been quite a while since I tested and listened to the Revel F328Be which I reviewed back in November of last year. The F328 is a larger speaker and whether visually or audibly or both, projects a larger scale. The F228Be at first made me think the sound was emanating from its tweeter and midrange but that effect quickly wore off. With the F328Be, it lasted quite a bit longer as the tweeter height is higher. I remember the bass being more substantial in F328Be but the F228Be has plenty of that as well.

Objectively, the F328Be is a dB or two more efficient and has less distortion at 96 dBSPL:

index.php

That's about half as much distortion in bass than the F228Be tested here. The F328Be is a betters speaker but you need to sit farther from it so that the tweeter doesn't appear to be too high (until you get used to it).

Conclusions
What can I say. We expect Harman products as personified in Revel line to follow the best research we know in speakers to deliver and the F228Be does so. Any more perfection would require active design and DSP to smooth things out even more. Key here though is that these speakers deliver enough bass to activate room modes so you must have a strategy in place to deal with them. If not, you are better off getting bookshelf speakers (even there EQ is important). Without it, you ruin the sound of this speaker.

It is my pleasure to put the Revel F228Be speaker on my recommended list. I am happy it doesn't weight as much as my monster Salon 2 or the F328Be. :)

------------

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

View attachment 131665

View attachment 131666

View attachment 131667

View attachment 131684

View attachment 131685

View attachment 131686

View attachment 131687

View attachment 131688

View attachment 131689

View attachment 131690

View attachment 131691

index.php

Conclusions

------------

Is that a Revel Performa M20 up on the wall unit next your TV?

I have a pair of those, and would be interested to see you measure them.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

e1fjbR8.png
The green line has more smoothing maybe?

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Would a Purifi 1ET400A amplifier with 425 W @4 Ohms and 227 W @8 Ohms be sufficient to drive these speakers at sufficient volume without degrading the low end?

Top Bottom