• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Post research here that casts doubt on ASR objectivism

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reads like a manifesto too. Not a fan of that kind of thing.

1621795239678.png

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Every audio forum has a user thinking line that is different.
At least thanks to Amir we do have measurements.
It is rare nowadays and very useful.

As a reader you intake the information and process it following your will.
For example in my case I am using bi-amping on large column speakers because it improves the sound, i can ear it.
Most of this forum posts will tell you that it is a marketing trick.
I do not care because I am able to make my own judgment.

Mountain Goat

Forum Donor

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Am guessing you did this is jest?

These clowns are not double blind testing and if you try to view the supposed measurements, the webpage 404s.:rolleyes:

a member on this forum already assessed the measurements years ago and made a 3 part 'article' on crossover parts.

below the video i linked part 3.

you're free to read the conclusion of that assessment and make your own opinions/conclusions.

alex-z

For example in my case I am using bi-amping on large column speakers because it improves the sound, i can ear it.
Most of this forum posts will tell you that it is a marketing trick.
I do not care because I am able to make my own judgment.

The beautiful thing about placebo effect is that it continues to work, even when you know it is placebo. Your bi-amping does improve the sound, but only because you believe. I am sure there is some upper limit for how strong the effect actually is, but I don't even know how one could even measure it.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a member on this forum already assessed the measurements years ago and made a 3 part 'article' on crossover parts.

below the video i linked part 3.

you're free to read the conclusion of that assessment and make your own opinions/conclusions.

Thanks for the clarification and sharing. Looks as though @ctrl had this nailed long before I joined ASR. :cool:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although typical audiphile wisdom is that it's a no-no, is using copper alloy or even steel-core actually bad for audio interconnects? Because one way to get cheap, low-capacitance subwoofer or digital audio cables is to use RG58 or similar coaxial designs.

alex-z

Although typical audiphile wisdom is that it's a no-no, is using copper alloy or even steel-core actually bad for audio interconnects? Because one way to get cheap, low-capacitance subwoofer or digital audio cables is to use RG58 or similar coaxial designs.

The important thing is not the cables themselves, but the coating used on the connectors. In the long term, galvanic corrosion will increase the resistance of the connection. More rapidly in humid areas.

The most reliable connection (as far as I know) would be a copper cable with tinned ends, and gold plated connectors.

audio2design

Major Contributor
The beautiful thing about placebo effect is that it continues to work, even when you know it is placebo. Your bi-amping does improve the sound, but only because you believe. I am sure there is some upper limit for how strong the effect actually is, but I don't even know how one could even measure it.

Unless you have amps with IM issues in which case you can have a measurable difference.

escksu

The important thing is not the cables themselves, but the coating used on the connectors. In the long term, galvanic corrosion will increase the resistance of the connection. More rapidly in humid areas.

The most reliable connection (as far as I know) would be a copper cable with tinned ends, and gold plated connectors.

Regarding the contacts, I fully agree. I did try to use brasso to polish all the contacts of a torch light before (the bulb holder, battery contacts etc). And yes, the bulb became brighter. ITs not significant but is very visible.

Btw, for the contacts, I am not sure if using dia-electric gel has any effect on audio. I used to work for communications company and the phone cable joint connectors comes with this clear dia-electric gel to prevent moisture from corroding the cable.

Last edited:

valerianf

Thank you Alex-z for making a bullet proof statement that validate my precedent post.
CQFD

BluesDaddy

True bi-amping, bypassing the internal passive crossover and using electronic crossovers, can certainly improve sound. Bi-wiring is just audiophoolery, intended to sell twice the amount of ridiculously expensive speaker wire to the same person than they'd otherwise buy.

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Beginning to revise the OP to reflect some comments. Probably needs to still get more specific. (sorry to bore you @Beershaun but getting to testable hypotheses was kind of the point. I had some trouble as well in another post. I think we share the goal of getting to a series of bettable/testable hypotheses to which we can direct people with very different beliefs).

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

And yet I wonder if cable TV providers are so fastidious with their own wiring and connectors, which are exposed to the elements.

magicscreen

Very unfortunate you have a bad hearing and cannot hear difference between . . . well anything.

Top Bottom