• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why does Cannabis make music sound way more detailed and hundreds of times more enjoyable?

Darkweb

I think my system is a little too intense after smoking some weed. I almost wish I had a lo-fi system with no sound staging for such occasions.

I find opiates to be a better fit for hi-fi, but way too addictive. Once the synthetic opiates that don’t depress your breathing reach the market, that will be a fine listening session.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think my system is a little too intense after smoking some weed. I almost wish I had a lo-fi system with no sound staging for such occasions.

Dude, you are not buying the audiophile weed. Eliminate that screechy digital hash and mellow with some warm round-toned analog certified audiophile weed. Carbon fibers included!

cjfrbw

Cannabis is toobz for the brain.

leftside

Depends on the music. Massive Attack or some light electronic music is usually my cup of tea after a little vape.

leftside

I hate people that talk like that. I've taken 1000ug+ hits before and never had this "taste music, touch emotions, smell space-time" nonsense. Your mode of thinking drastically changes, and your senses become warped (vision especially becomes a flux of everything but what is normally seen). But senses now crossing over and having functions of other sensory organs? Pure nonsense, or an unbelievable level of self suggestion I can't fathom. I sooner be immobile than ever reaching such a state..
How about when taking DMT/Changa?

Reactions: JRS

leftside

cjfrbw

The THC products are a LOT stronger than us ancients ever experienced in the day.

A friend who uses oil to sleep has a small bottle. I opened to smell it and will never do that again. Just getting close to it with my nose, it was incredibly strong. What a punch in the nose that was.

Tks

Major Contributor
Synaesthetia is a well documented phenomenon, it's inducement from chemical agents is less well understood, but there is a large body of evidence that supports it's existence. See this metastudy for some examples: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3797969/

Out of interest, how many senses do you think you have?
Depends on what you classify as a "sense". If you want to count hunger as a "sense" then I'm not really sure, not something I've contemplated. Again though the descriptors I talk about when people speak about their experiences aren't in concordance with synaesthesia, because their experiences are never similar regardless of dosage we partook. I would be greeted with mostly paranormal descriptors like "I can feel the heat from the boiling water in the kitchen" sort of stuff. And things like "I am a race beyond this star system that uses smell that hops from one atom to another to communicate"

You know, that sort of stuff.

Associations with color aren't of interest to me for example. In Asia you have folks being terrified of the color white (somehow linked with death experienced in hospitals and whatnot) while black would be the usual color for death here in the West. The folks I've been with never have reproducible experiences. It's always something new, and always a loss of any sort of cognition according to them during and soon after the come-down.

When I hear treble notes for example, it can sometimes be akin to "sweet" in a slight sense. But I don't think I'm experiencing something sweet with my taste buds. Mostly an association of sorts with old ads of sprinkled powered sugar over foods with high pitched sparkle in the background.

But seeing unicorns and communicating with them even though I was right there looking at the person, while they're telling me the unicorn is in the wall, that can move, and can't move within it.. That's just incoherent ramble.

Tks

Major Contributor
How about when taking DMT/Changa?

Never tried either. From descriptions, DMT is short lived(~15minutes), and far more potent. Which I suppose should be sufficient for those that don't want to throw a whole day down the drain on shrooms or LSD.

Changa, never knew anyone personally that tried it, so I have even less to say about it than even DMT.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well it actually depends. If something relaxes you & help you focus it will certainly help. Future more if it narrows other sensing functions it gives more time to our processor (brain) to focus just on one. For instance eyesight employees largest portion of our brain for processing & it's document by numerous scientific studies how blind people hear better & how (some of) cognitive path associated to eyesight adopted and are used for hearing. The rest in this case is purely connected to dopamine & seratinin being released.

Tks

Major Contributor
Well it actually depends. If something relaxes you & help you focus it will certainly help. Future more if it narrows other sensing functions it gives more time to our processor (brain) to focus just on one. For instance eyesight employees largest portion of our brain for processing & it's document by numerous scientific studies how blind people hear better & how (some of) cognitive path associated to eyesight adopted and are used for hearing. The rest in this case is purely connected to dopamine & seratinin being released.

Hearing better I have no problem with. In the same way I close my eyes when listening to music exclusively. Or after an ear cleaning at the doctors office. Using your ears to to taste unicorn sweat for example, that's a bit comedic for me.

egellings

Major Contributor
A buddy of mine who is a musician tried playing music both while straight and while stoned. He recorded his playing both times on the same song and compared the results. He found that his stoned rendition was off key and full of mistakes. Sounded good to him while he was playing it, though. I wouldn't go near my electronics bench if I were in that condition.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything that changes your perception in an exciting and enjoyable way will make music more enjoyable. Listening to music while working in Microsoft Excel at work isn't that great. Listening to music on the first nice day of the year taking a drive through the countryside with the windows down is wonderful. Listening to music on a run, listening after meditating for a while, listening after a tragedy, listening at a wedding party, all different experiences.

I think we attribute too much power to drugs. Our everyday perception is more flexible and varied than we think. I honestly think a lot of people drink to give them the excuse to act in an unrestrained way more than the alcohol actually frees them. Same with marijuana. Plenty of people smoke and are barely different from when they're sober; some people take the opportunity to smoke as an opportunity to open their perception in a way they are unwilling to when sober.

Of course at high doses and with stronger drugs experiences take on an newness and profound innocence that seems incredibly special, but even LSD can seem routine if you do it enough.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I hate people that talk like that. I've taken 1000ug+ hits before and never had this "taste music, touch emotions, smell space-time" nonsense. Your mode of thinking drastically changes, and your senses become warped (vision especially becomes a flux of everything but what is normally seen). But senses now crossing over and having functions of other sensory organs? Pure nonsense, or an unbelievable level of self suggestion I can't fathom. I sooner be immobile than ever reaching such a state..
The most famous composition by a famous composer is all about that:

Hector Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique even has a plotline wrapped around an overdose of opium, taken with the intention of committing suicide, but instead inducing a massive synesthetic hallucination, all his emotions and thoughts transformed into music. Opiates of the early 19th century were not as processed as what is manufactured now. One of the more notable side effects of raw opium is synesthesia, the experience of smelling sounds, seeing music and so on.

As it turns out, this symphony is mostly autobiographical until it really heads south. The early stereo Munch/Boston recording is my favorite right now. There's a ton of recordings, it's been a Stereo Demo Record ever since such things first existed. I was introduced to this music back in 1968, I was 13, had paid close attention to the radio ever since the Beatles arrived. So I first heard this work in the wake of 1966/1967, that first big wave of psychedelic music. Berlioz is considered a master of orchestration [he wrote one of the best known books on the subject] and Symphonie Fantastique manages to be quite psychedelic while also being a really good example of the Late Classical/Early Romantic Symphony.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
A buddy of mine who is a musician tried playing music both while straight and while stoned. He recorded his playing both times on the same song and compared the results. He found that his stoned rendition was off key and full of mistakes. Sounded good to him while he was playing it, though. I wouldn't go near my electronics bench if I were in that condition.

Like when we recorded ourselves solving the problems of the world and having paradigm shifting insights while stoned in college...because we always said we should when we couldn't remember our enhanced brilliance the next day.

Yeah...

The good news is that we got back to listening to music more rather than try to solve the problems of the world.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Like when we recorded ourselves solving the problems of the world and having paradigm shifting insights while stoned in college...because we always said we should when we couldn't remember our enhanced brilliance the next day.

Yeah...

The good news is that we got back to listening to music more rather than try to solve the problems of the world.
I'm not sure if I've got this straight [Google jolted my memory to this conclusion] but William James wrote down what he thought was a mind blowing thought while tripping on some psychotropic: "overall there is a smell of fried onions".

Katji

Major Contributor
weed to let go of your worries.jpg

Reactions: 617

Katji

Major Contributor

Yeah...

Many problems of the world would be reduced if most people smoked instead of drinking.

Top Bottom