• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wild places, post em if you got em...

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Northwest-most point of Scotland accessible by car in 1995 (around Unapool, I think)

Scotland.jpg

Last edited:

Archsam

Somewhere in Norway, while chasing northern light

DSC_5978-mod-small.jpg

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Here are some pictures from Hawaii Volcanoes National Park that I took last week.

Kilauea Iki caldera. Volcano obsessed 4 year old son in frame.

Here is the best view of the lava lake at Kilauea currently. You can see where the lava was during the 1984-2018 eruption, but the level of the lake is too low to see its surface from any safe location. I guess you can see a little glow if you get up at 3AM.

There are steaming vents all over the place.

There are vast landscapes of fresh lava all over most of the island, i.e., on Kilauea, Mauna Kea, and Mauna Loa.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From our first vacation since pre-pandemic, this site seems appropriate for a forum with engineers as members.

This is the Kinzua Bridge State Park on the edge of the Allegheny National Forest…

7B7187C9-A13D-4B7D-8505-594EEF44781B.jpeg

This is an old railroad bridge turned into a scenic park. The bridge got shortened in 2002 when it took a F1 tornado hit. We had already done the view from above. This pic is from the (rather steep) trail on the way down to the wreckage.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From our first vacation since pre-pandemic, this site seems appropriate for a forum with engineers as members.

This is the Kinzua Bridge State Park on the edge of the Allegheny National Forest…

View attachment 132750

This is an old railroad bridge turned into a scenic park. The bridge got shortened in 2002 when it took a F1 tornado hit. We had already done the view from above. This pic is from the (rather steep) trail on the way down to the wreckage.
Is that a bridge or just two piers now

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that a bridge or just two piers now

The closer end is now an observation platform. Not sure about the other end, but clearly no longer a bridge.

Prior to the tornado, am pretty sure the entire bridge was intact and you could walk across it. From what I recall, it was retired from rail use in the late 50s.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Waterfall near Beaman Park outside Nashville.
P5020007.jpg

Top Bottom