• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cooking on Stove Top vs Barbeque Grill?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28849
  • Start date

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I like steak cooked both ways - seared or grilled.
Is induction stove vs. grill like digital vs. analog?:)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I reverse sear in the oven, then finish on the cooktop.
Season (salt/garlic/onion) at least 1hr before; overnight uncovered in the fridge preferred

275° for 40min for thick cuts

Pull out at 115°

Sear and baste with butter (add touch of high smoke oil)

Ground pepper after searing

I tried sous-vide, but always came out poor.

I recently bought a pellet smoker and have used it for salmon/chicken/sausage/ribs, haven’t used it for steak yet.

As for cooking frozen, are you talking buying frozen or simply freezing them yourself?
If the latter, season them before and cook them frozen.

America’s Test Kitchen tried it out and cooking frozen helped with reducing banding.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I reverse sear in the oven, then finish on the cooktop.
Season (salt/garlic/onion) at least 1hr before; overnight uncovered in the fridge preferred

275° for 40min for thick cuts

Pull out at 115°

Sear and baste with butter (add touch of high smoke oil)

Ground pepper after searing

I tried sous-vide, but always came out poor.

I recently bought a pellet smoker and have used it for salmon/chicken/sausage/ribs, haven’t used it for steak yet.

As for cooking frozen, are you talking buying frozen or simply freezing them yourself?
If the latter, season them before and cook them frozen.

America’s Test Kitchen tried it out and cooking frozen helped with reducing banding.

The video was interesting. I never have seen steaks cooked in that much oil. Finishing the meat in the oven is new to me as well. Most articles I have seen is use little fat, start with meat at room temperature and do the whole thing in a pan or on a grill.

deprogrammed

I use about a 1/4 cut and it comes out medium to well done. Definitely a thicker cut would take more time unless thawed first.
But how is a defrosted steak better than a frozen steak?

Yep, cooking steak sets off the smoke detector.:eek:

and it comes out medium to well done
Man you are cooking all the flavor out! Doesn't matter how you cook it at that point. Save some money and get hamburger. Kidding, but try medium rare. I recommend bone in Ribeye.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After staying 3 months in Hawaii (during the pandemic) I am missing the large gas grill that was on the house balcony.
At first I had some cooking failures but following my neighbors directives the result was very tasty.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Definitely defrost, you can't season a frozen steak or cook it evenly. The induction cook top is not necessarily an issue but you should check out a couple of youtube demos on how a restaurant line cook does it. Gordon Ramsay has a decent one. On the grill for an ordinary 3/4 - 1" a 2-3min sear on both sides then 6min or so off the heat on the side till about 130F works for me.

I think that I am going to shorten the sear time I have been using. My kitchen has a huge 4 fan exhaust system and searing a stake still makes lots of smoke. I'm starting to think the big deal on outdoor gas grills is keeping smoke out of the house. Hardwood charcoal is a differrent story.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My understanding has been that very high heat is your friend with steak, and most residential cooktops don't have the BTU's.

I cook indoors and out, but prefer natural wood charcoal. Very hot bed of coals, very close to meat.

Meat dry, and at room temp before putting on grill, covered with plenty of salt. 2-3" filet gets @3 mins on one side, 2-3 mins on other, off to rest for 5-10. Perfect medium rare.

Commercial broiler can be @1000 degrees F, and the finishing ovens are @500, and that's tough to manage in a normal kitchen.

I think this is where @MediumRare can help us amateurs...

jaykay77

Mistakenly deleted my post!
Here is a photo - it's a grass fed ribeye.
bincho steak.jpg

I am a chef - Best things you can do is season ahead of time, let the meat come to room temp, high heat! let it rest on a grated surface!

I use a konro grill with Japanese binchotan charcoal - like 1600 degress, good smoke, minimal and easy to control flame ups! This is the best grill i've used.

jaykay77

How many like 45 day dry-aged steaks?

A little dry age funk nice on occasion! Love some high marbled wagyu as well...but for a traditional american old school ribeye, I've been finding some epic grass fed ribeyes and hangars at Whole Foods of all places!

jaykay77

My understanding has been that very high heat is your friend with steak, and most residential cooktops don't have the BTU's.

I cook indoors and out, but prefer natural wood charcoal. Very hot bed of coals, very close to meat.

Meat dry, and at room temp before putting on grill, covered with plenty of salt. 2-3" filet gets @3 mins on one side, 2-3 mins on other, off to rest for 5-10. Perfect medium rare.

Commercial broiler can be @1000 degrees F, and the finishing ovens are @500, and that's tough to manage in a normal kitchen.

I think this is where @MediumRare can help us amateurs...

In my experience, you're right about high heat.

If you don't want to shell out for a binchotan and konro grill, find an infrared grill - I have an old school Tec Patio II with ceramic infrared plates and I've seen 1000 degress. Its badass. You can find them used on occasion.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hardwood charcoal is a differrent story.

I use a konro grill with Japanese binchotan charcoal - like 1600 degress, good smoke, minimal and easy to control flame ups! This is the best grill i've used.

My non-exotic harwood lump charcoal gets me up around 1400 degrees, which really does a nice job on thick steaks.

Without enough heat, it turns into more of a baked steak, and that's just not fun for anybody.

jaykay77

My non-exotic harwood lump charcoal gets me up around 1400 degrees, which really does a nice job on thick steaks.

Without enough heat, it turns into more of a baked steak, and that's just not fun for anybody.

Yep...and if you don't bring thick steaks to room temp before you cook them on a hot grill, no bueno...it won't cook properly. Cooking cold steaks is a no-no...

Mashcky

Forum Donor
Others beats me to it but here it goes:

purchase steak fresh or dry aged from a butcher (I like ribeye), season at least one hour in advance with generous amount of salt (ideally several hours and up to a day), reverse sear in 200-250F oven (directly from the fridge is fine) until 05F in the center, remove from oven, and sear flipping often in a preheated heavy pan until a crust forms and steak reaches desired temperature.

The same can be accomplished with a “two zone” grill.

More info on why this works from J. Kenji López-Alt here.

*corrected to say 105F where I previously typed 205F (a pretty nasty steak!)

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only time I started with a frozen steak was when I threw it in the sous vide....but would prefer to thaw and season first. First choice is charcoal grill if I have the time, otherwise I use the gas grill. If I do use the sous vide then I pan sear it at the end if it's too cold/wet out to do it on the gas grill. Can't imagine throwing a frozen steak directly into a pan, tho....

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Can't imagine throwing a frozen steak directly into a pan, tho....

I'd always considered the same. That was until I was invited to a private dinner by the owner of several of the highest end steak-famous restaurants in our area. You know, the inner-city big end of town places where lunches turn into late nights... Not only was he the owner, he had a massive holding of enormous outback cattle stations right over the top end of this country. In short, he knew his meat.

So he asks us all as we are sitting around his massive prep kitchen bench, with all sorts of burners, woks, induction you name it, how we'd like our steaks and show us all different steaks from the freezer, ranging in cuts, marbling,aging, sizes etc. Some wanted blue, some wanted well done, others medium rare. The meat was left on the bench for maybe an hour, but not remotely fully thawed. They were all cooked absolutely perfectly from partially defrosted across a range of pans (all gas) at the same time and served up at once.

To this day, it was the best steak (apart from his restaurants) I've ever had. It was at that party, I realized I knew nothing about red meat, letalone how to cook it perfectly. I'm still learning, getting better, but that set a high bar.

Top Bottom