• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cooking on Stove Top vs Barbeque Grill?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28849
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 28849

When I cook a frozen steak I use my Stove Top Induction Counter Top with Steel pan, cover with lid and turn on Stove Top Fan and cook at a controlled temperature of 425 degrees for 6 minutes on each side.

How is cooking outside with a Barbeque Grill better, I don't get it?:confused:

OP
D

Deleted member 28849

Hmmm Frozen steak :facepalm:
Stovetop induction countertop :facepalm:
How is cooking outside with a grill better? :facepalm:

You really need to get out more.

So you are saying I should move my portable Stove Top induction Cooker outside and defrost the Steak first?

How is a thawed out steak better than a quick thaw?:confused:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
When I cook a frozen steak I use my Stove Top Induction Counter Top with Steel pan, cover with lid and turn on Stove Top Fan and cook at a controlled temperature of 425 degrees for 6 minutes on each side.

Do you have a grill?

I have a decent gas and charcoal grills from Weber. The difference is "flavor". Google is your friend.

OP
D

Deleted member 28849

Do you have a grill?

I have a decent gas and charcoal grills from Weber. The difference is "flavor". Google is your friend.

Do I have a grill? No

I season my steak with olive oil, sage spice and Montreal Steak spice, I love how it tastes.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely defrost your steak first. Cook 4 minutes on each side moving the steak around on medium to medium high heat uncovered in a pan on the stove. Only turn it once. Lower the heat and continue cooking to the desired degree of doneness. Thinner steaks need no additional cooking, thicker ones 5 minutes or so. Let the steak "rest" for a few minutes, preferably under a heat lamp. Definitely run the fan unless you want to get smoked out of the house.

OP
D

Deleted member 28849

Definitely defrost your steak first. Cook 4 minutes on each side moving the steak around on medium to medium high heat uncovered in a pan on the stove. Only turn it once. Lower the heat and continue cooking to the desired degree of doneness. Thinner steaks need no additional cooking, thicker ones 5 minutes or so. Let the steak "rest" for a few minutes, preferably under a heat lamp. Definitely run the fan unless you want to get smoked out of the house.

I use about a 1/4 cut and it comes out medium to well done. Definitely a thicker cut would take more time unless thawed first.
But how is a defrosted steak better than a frozen steak?

Yep, cooking steak sets off the smoke detector.:eek:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Do I have a grill? No

I season my steak with olive oil, sage spice and Montreal Steak spice, I love how it tastes.
I typically use stove top to cook steaks due to convenience and those came out great too.

However, there is a definite added "flavor" with grilling, when done right. I am surprised you even need to ask. You ate nicely grilled streak before, right?

OP
D

Deleted member 28849

I typically use stove top to cook steaks due to convenience and those came out great too.

However, there is a definite added "flavor" with grilling, when done right. I am surprised you even need to ask. You ate nicely grilled streak before, right?

A had barbequed hamburgers at work when driving courier, Driver Appreciation Day. Tasted okay, typically though if using propane fuel I can taste the propane on the food. I don't like that so I would have to go to a Charcoal grill which is even more inconvenient.

levimax

Major Contributor
Cooking meat is one area where every scientific advance after fire is a step backward for flavor. I find cooking meat outside on a grill much more convenient than inside... it doesn't smoke up the house and less clean up. As far a cooking techniques go a thawed steak, salted and allowed to warm up a little bit before cooking will grill better. The advantages of a well grilled steak (seared very hot and finished off of direct heat) is that it will look better (sighted bias is very important as we know) and have better texture and taste (smoke).

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Do you have a grill?

I’ve never had a steak, so I defer to a true expert, Hank Hill. He strongly recommends propane. “Taste the meat, not the heat.”

levimax

Major Contributor
I’ve never had a steak, so I defer to a true expert, Hank Hill. He strongly recommends propane. “Taste the meat, not the heat.”

Subjective obviously but I have 3 different types of grills and ranked by taste I say Charcoal > Wood Pellet Smoker >Propane but all can work very well with care and playing to each ones strengths. I will often times use propane to sear and the Wood Pellet Smoker to finish which give high quality and reliable results.

dpturner

Forum Donor
i cook outdoors, on a gas grill, a couple times a week, year-round. charcoal is better, wood is even better. but i do it mostly for convenience, so usually gas. and the main reason is to reduce the kitchen mess (pans and greasy smoke/splatter).

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Subjective obviously but I have 3 different types of grills and ranked by taste I say Charcoal > Wood Pellet Smoker >Propane but all can work very well with care and playing to each ones strengths. I will often times use propane to sear and the Wood Pellet Smoker to finish which give high quality and reliable results.
We have both gas and wood for our pizza oven. Wood is definitely better, but a major pain in the ass.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
wood smoke improves the taste of your steak

Marc v E

Major Contributor
What strikes me as really funny and more than a coincidence is that cooking is viewed as a fine art. No science. Much like hifi and gardening almost nobody seems to check if the golden rules are really true.

Anyway, concerning the question: to me grilling on a cast iron pan seems to give me the flavour and convenience. I definately thaw a steak and actually rather buy it fresh, not frozen.

There is a theory that says you should sear one side for a couple of minutes and leave the steak alone until you turn it.
Others seem to get great results searing the steak quickly on all sides and finishing it in an oven. My educated guess based on experience would be that searing on high heat on all sides and finishing it in an oven is a good candidate for a good taste. Anything that is seared to perfection and moist and tender inside is a good thing.

A long story short: give grilling outside a try and see what you think.

Last edited:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert

Definitely defrost, you can't season a frozen steak or cook it evenly. The induction cook top is not necessarily an issue but you should check out a couple of youtube demos on how a restaurant line cook does it. Gordon Ramsay has a decent one. On the grill for an ordinary 3/4 - 1" a 2-3min sear on both sides then 6min or so off the heat on the side till about 130F works for me.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What strikes me as really funny and more than a coincidence is that cooking is viewed as a fine art. No science. Much like hifi and gardening almost nobody seems to check if the golden rules are really true.
You need to read Harold McGee.

Top Bottom