• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M106 vs M126Be: worth the upgrade?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No problem at all! I just wanted to clarify to ensure we were on the same page. I completely agree with you! Since I have amazing subwoofers, I cannot go wrong either way. I will wait and see what price these two are from the dealer and decide from there. Thank you again for your input !

I made several edits after you replied, but I don't think it matters.

Good subs(which you have) will equalize the bass difference between the F208 and the F226Be. Not sure what the price differences are for your dealer, but (with subwoofers) I'd personally go F226Be based on what I've heard.

I'd go F208 for full range with no subs, but that's not your situation.

CatDad

I made several edits after you replied, but I don't think it matters.

Good subs(which you have) will equalize the bass difference between the F208 and the F226Be. Not sure what the price differences are for your dealer, but (with subwoofers) I'd personally go F226Be based on what I've heard.

I'd go F208 for full range with no subs, but that's not your situation.
I just read the revision and definitely agree. Since I have great subs, the F226Be is the way to go. This also puts me in a good place considering how great the Be series Center Channel is. If I go all out, it sounds like I may want to get these F126be for surrounds but if I need to save some $, I can save a bit by going with F206s or F106s. Knowing me, I will ultimately decide to get the F126s for surrounds. I definitely cannot swing another set of F226s for the surrounds, that's for SURE! Thanks so much for your input on this.

CatDad

@CatDad Dealers love timbre match. Aluminum and beryllium sounds completely different.
I can completely see that which is why I am thinking I should do the F126Be over the F206s or M106s for surrounds. I think I may regret it if I don't do it. Surrounds do play a big role in home theater. I will be able to save with the M80XC or M55XC for ATMOS since I cannot do in ceiling. Thank you!
*Sorry for the double post*

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just read the revision and definitely agree. Since I have great subs, the F226Be is the way to go. This also puts me in a good place considering how great the Be series Center Channel is. If I go all out, it sounds like I may want to get these F126be for surrounds but if I need to save some $, I can save a bit by going with F206s or F106s. Knowing me, I will ultimately decide to get the F126s for surrounds. I definitely cannot swing another set of F226s for the surrounds, that's for SURE! Thanks so much for your input on this.

If you at all think you'll eventually upgrade your surrounds to the Be series,, then just go ahead and get the M126Be surrounds. Otherwise you're likely to to want it at some point down the road and end up spending more money than if you'd just bought them in the first place. I think you're better off spending a bit more to know you have the best that is currently possible(doesn't get better than Revel Be series).

CatDad

If you at all think you'll eventually upgrade your surrounds to the Be series,, then just go ahead and get the M126Be surrounds. Otherwise you're likely to to want it at some point down the road and end up spending more money than if you'd just bought them in the first place. I think you're better off spending a bit more to know you have the best that is currently possible(doesn't get better than Revel Be series).
Absolutely! I have had so many regrets in life so definitely need to go as "all out" this time as possible! :D

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can completely see that which is why I am thinking I should do the F126Be over the F206s or M106s for surrounds. I think I may regret it if I don't do it. Surrounds do play a big role in home theater. I will be able to save with the M80XC or M55XC for ATMOS since I cannot do in ceiling. Thank you!
*Sorry for the double post*

It was sarcasm.

Chippyboy

Personally - and speaking as an owner of M126BE's - I'd say they would be a complete waste of money as surrounds, and IMO you'd be far better off with 106's. Unless you are a billionaire and simply don't care about the cost. Waste of money IMO.

CatDad

Personally - and speaking as an owner of M126BE's - I'd say they would be a complete waste of money as surrounds, and IMO you'd be far better off with 106's. Unless you are a billionaire and simply don't care about the cost. Waste of money IMO.
Thank you for the input! It sounds like I may want to consider the M106s for surrounds. I'm definitely not rich. This is a ton of money for us. I was also considering the F206s for surrounds since they already have stands on them but they aren't too far off in price from the M126Be. Considering all things and how much regret I've had before, I may just go with the F126Be for surrounds. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

Archsam

Sorry, I meant the M126Be vs the M105. This was last weekend, and both me and my friend slightly preferred the Be version(both were crossed to subs at 100hZ). No idea how it would go blind. I own the M105 and my friend owns the M126Be.

I agree with you about the F208 vs F226Be. The F208 is (imo) the better full range speaker, but the F226Be is the better speaker if subwoofers are in play. This is a gray area, though. Measurements are very close. Be series seems to measure very similarly to performa series, but with better distortion.

I own the M105 as well as I have a dilemma on whether to upgrade to a pair of M126be.

So I thought I will ask: If you can get a good deal on the M126be, would you upgrade?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own the M105 as well as I have a dilemma on whether to upgrade to a pair of M126be.

So I thought I will ask: If you can get a good deal on the M126be, would you upgrade?

It would depend on the deal I suppose, but probably not. The M106 is a better value imo, though I do like the white driver look now(didn't like it at first).

Asinus

I have M126Be as sides and F208 as rears, if I had the space I'd rather have another pair of F208. I seriously think the F208 at dealer price is the best bang for the buck of the entire Revel line, down the line there are compromises, and up the line mostly refinements and more extension.

On movies the sounds going through the surrounds are mainly effects or reverb so you have to stop paying attention to the screen and focus on the sound to catch if the timbre or even the levels are not matching. However on multichannel recordings it is more likely to have a full-bandwidth channel sent to the surrounds and with dynamics that match the two fronts so having a 3-way tower makes more sense.

Besides that, my dog pushes through without any concern for people or property so having monoliths that weight the same as the dog would ease my mind.

Prolix

Forum Donor
I've owned the m106 and now own the 105. I also own Dynaudio x34s. I don't know exactly how to describe it but with the Revels I can feel the need to turn down the volume even when it's not loud. No such feeling with the x34. I've been thinking about upgrading to the m126be or the contour 20. Will the m126be tweeter likely give that same feeling as the 105/106?

steve59

Major Contributor
If 3 tweeters are exactly the same except for the cone material I wonder what differences we would hear assuming volume is matched

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? I thought the beryllium tweeters in the Be series would be a big upgrade in clarity and detail over the aluminum in the F208. I like the aesthetic of both speakers and would run both without the grills. Since we mainly use the room for home theater, the F208 would probably be more pleasing since the white could be distracting. Ultimately, I just don't want to make the wrong decision. This is a TON of money for us financially. These speakers will be our upgrade over the SVS Ultra towers that we have owned for several years. Either way we go, it will be a massive upgrade but if the F226Be is seriously a lot better than the F208, then I am definitely considering it. I've had buyer's remorse way too many times. Thanks!
Truth is you will be very happy with either the F208/F226be I bet.... If budget allows an F226be/c426be combo up front would be really good. Others may not agree, but I would put your money in the up front 3... weather F208/C208 or the F226be/c426be. I would definitely not get OCD on the surrounds... and I would go as budget allows...It could be S16/M16, M106/F206. I had to go with 3 center channels under my screen and chose the C208s with S16s as side/rear surrounds and M55XC for tops. Just a thought.

J1034

I've owned the m106 and now own the 105. I also own Dynaudio x34s. I don't know exactly how to describe it but with the Revels I can feel the need to turn down the volume even when it's not loud. No such feeling with the x34. I've been thinking about upgrading to the m126be or the contour 20. Will the m126be tweeter likely give that same feeling as the 105/106?

I have exactly the same problem with many speakers, including the M106, F206 and F208. I've now bought the F228Be to replace the F208s, and with the F228Be, the need to turn down the volume when music gets busy is gone. The sound is so calm, sometimes almost boring. But that's how it should be.

My AKG K812s had the same problem with the stock cable. After upgrading to a 3rd party cable, it sounds far more calm, but a little boring. It's just what happens when you remove things that should not be there. I like to compare it to bloated lows with cheap speakers. When you've never heard a good speaker, you feel like you're missing something if the lows are tight.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I have exactly the same problem with many speakers, including the M106, F206 and F208. I've now bought the F228Be to replace the F208s, and with the F228Be, the need to turn down the volume when music gets busy is gone. The sound is so calm, sometimes almost boring. But that's how it should be.

My AKG K812s had the same problem with the stock cable. After upgrading to a 3rd party cable, it sounds far more calm, but a little boring. It's just what happens when you remove things that should not be there. I like to compare it to bloated lows with cheap speakers. When you've never heard a good speaker, you feel like you're missing something if the lows are tight.
Try aluminum wiring. Keep fire extinguisher nearby.

Top Bottom