• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music is dead.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To the OP. My partner says “listen to super M. It is the pinnacle of music”.

I love new music. It bothers me when I’m not up to date on new music trends and artists. The human ability to come up with new creative output is what makes life worth living

gvl

Major Contributor
I feel that part of the problem is that there is just too much new music being released. With the proliferation of the Internet and smaller recording studios the number of albums and songs being released is sky rocketing. It is harder to find diamonds in a bigger pile of trash.

mkawa

Forum Donor
St Vincent - Daddy's Home (don't know where to begin when describing St Vincent)
I do!

supporting cast in the polyphonic spree. Insane guitarist. Reportedly a ruthless perfectionist (reported by one of her touring bands). Quite famous for recreating her albums exactly down to timing during her live shows — I’ve seen her a couple times and can report this is true. Writes hooky indie rock and records “not a hair out of place” guitar centric albums kind of like a j mascis with more reverb and less hippy care freedom.

Freeway

We are living in a golden age for electronic.

Electronic music resurrected me from a rock/jazz graveyard.
SomaFM made me do it. Opened a line of music that had been happening, unbeknownst to me, for a few decades already.
Secret Agent channel mostly along with Lush and Suburbs of Goa.
Check it out -
https://somafm.com/

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
no sex, drugs and rock n roll.
Guns N Roses? Amy Winehouse? Oasis?* :D Not too sure about some newer acts I really like but surely some of all that is going on still. I think the crazy crazy drugs have mostly gone out of fashion as people realize that it destroys you and is very expensive. Throughout my whole life I've always found some new stuff that was interesting...and then some stuff not. And some stuff admirable and interesting but not really for me (Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews, Billie Eilish, Anthrax, Cardi B blah blah blah blah).
*I mean really, they get a bassist off the streets and they are so crazy a month later he quits and goes back on the dole!

And yeah,
You're getting old.
;)

Oh, and here's a wonderful ongoing stream of mostly really good stuff
https://celticmusicpodcast.com

Last edited:

valerianf

We are still in a Covid world, may be soon post Covid.
Live music events have to come back after a more than one year pause.
Let us see what will emerge.
Will it be new very large electronic festivals again?
Will Coachella and Burnig Man be ressucitated?
A new history page of music need be written.

Andysu

Major Contributor
'Fright Night' was about 98% intelligibility with lyrics.:)
186510148_10159148153740149_2449584852507790318_n.jpg

The Technics emo's music was a shockingly 20% of unintelligibility with lyrics. :facepalm: Yes music is dead today. Cos no one can sing anymore.
185930720_10159145575585149_4322249083437022268_n.jpg

mkawa

Forum Donor
Oh please. Listen to neko case, julien baker, Bjork, Jonsi and Sigur ros, shearwater, iron and wine, Morgan James, Owen pallett, Mirah, bon iver, feist, Sarah Slean

heck, the number of current female pop singers with 4 octave ranges right now can almost fill two hands.

music is not dead, and people can _sing_ these days

Kegemusha

To the OP:

I consider myself a student of the history of rock, albeit more so progressive rock, and blues. I would agree with you that Radiohead and Pearl Jam are easily two of the top "rock" bands in the last 30 years. Nirvana had a nice, albeit short, run. Someone earlier in this thread also mentioned Cage, and I think there is something very special with that band as well. For my tastes, I would also add Tool and Muse. Though not to my liking, I'm guessing many would throw bands such as Linkin Park, Green Day, Foo Fighters and The White Stripes into the ring.

Where I part ways with you would be the genre of progressive rock. There has been and continues to be an amazing amount of phenomenal music coming out since the 90s, when Radiohead first made their mark. My music collection is growing at a more rapid pace now than ever before.
Yes, TOOL were good as Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam were more consistent than Nirvana IMO.

mkawa

Forum Donor
I forgot fka twigs!! Also, not so well known but an insane voice: HANA (ep, hanadriel)

Andysu

Major Contributor
Another Rant video. I may think of myself now as a sort of audiophile only thee... Angry F -ing Audiophiliac :p

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate new music. It bothers me. I avoid being up to date on new music trends and artists. The human ability to preserve the creative output of classics is what makes life worth living

Leporello

This. Also for my live can't figure out how people can listen to the Beach Boys.
Ahem, "I Get Around" is among the three greatest songs in the popular music canon (the other two being Martha & The Vandellas' "Dancing in the Street" and The Smiths' "William, It was really nothing". Perfection in three minutes (or even less). ;)

Andysu

Major Contributor
I hate new music. It bothers me. I avoid being up to date on new music trends and artists. The human ability to preserve the creative output of classics is what makes life worth living
I do not listen to any of the new emo trash on youtube they are garbage and why does trash have say 800million views?? The human race of today, I tend to stay far, far away from them don't want to be affected by emo music, that can't flipping sing.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Ahem, "I Get Around" is among the three greatest songs in the popular music canon (the other two being Martha & The Vandellas' "Dancing in the Street" and The Smiths' "William, It was really nothing". Perfection in three minutes (or even less). ;)
And then there's:

Andysu

Major Contributor
^ I can't understand a clear single lyrical word they are saying and I have fading it down while I type my Rant. Yes music is dead on that one above, maybe if it played instrumental only without the acid head lyrics.

Robin L

Master Contributor

Top Bottom